The 5 most useful improvements on your boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
It could be fun to list the 5 most useful improvements you did on your boat. With a little explanation if you feel like it. Here's my short list.

1. Accumulator tank - couldn't stand to hear the water pump all the time
2. A good sound system with a sub-woofer and remote control - I love music too much!
3. Autopilot
4. A blue courtesy light in the cockpit - brings a*nice atmosphere at night and makes the boat look really cool
5. New batteries - I just need to know I have enough power when I need it

Ok, here's mine.

1. Diesel hydronic heat, including outlets on the flybridge. In the PNW, a warm Admiral is a happy Admiral!

2. Autopilot. Especially for the Astoria to Neah Bay offshore run.

3. Laptop with remote monitor/nobeltec for navigation.

4. Satellite TV, I know this is controversial, but my wife is handicapped with very limited mobility. She is also the sports nut of the two of us, so this keeps her happy and entertained while I'm on the docks, up on the bridge, etc. In this case, a happy Admiral is a"warm" Admiral, if you get my drift. It is a Track It TV, or a 90% solution - for the other (stormy) 10% of the time, we shouldn't be trying to watch anyway.

5. 2 Ghz VOX headsets. Great for docking, particularly with the Wife's mobility issues, and sometimes limited sightlines from the bridge.

My fab 5, done for the PNW are:

Diesel hydronic heat
Fly bridge enclosure
Instruments - Headsets, Nobeltec and AIS
Bow thruster
Fuel transfer system to allow pumping to or from any of 4 tanks

-- Edited by sunchaser on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 05:52:45 PM

all DC fridge
diesel galley stove
extended swimgrid
sturdy boarding ladder
three stage regulator on alternator

Solar charge system

Autopilot

Hydraulic windlass

Head galley and shower

Propane fridge / freezer .

Commercial grade rub rail

Queen bed with overheads hatch.

Home couch cushions for pilot house sitting.

Already had dry stack & keel cooling.

Bow Thruster
Computer navigation system
Really good Alpine stereo with Bose speakers
Leather couch with fold out bed in the saloon
Satellite TV

Autopilot seems to come up quite a bit.* Which is an addition I'd like to have.* But I can't seem to sort out an installation for less than $4k - $5K.* Is that in the ballpark or am I completely off base?

It would be for a 34' Marine Trader, mechanical steering.

Thanks

4-5k sounds about right if you can't do any of it yourself. The installation is really quite easy except for the mounting of the hydraulic drive. On my MT the PO had a wood shelf built saturated in epoxy and then glassed to hold the drive not really rocket science but life with out the auto sucks (I know mine was down for a couple of months last year).

My list in no particular order:

re-design of salon
outlet and fridge on flybridge
underwater fish lights
big battery bank
genset

-- Edited by Daddyo on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 07:59:36 AM

-- Edited by Daddyo on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 08:05:59 AM

Attachments

• s5000025.jpg
    s5000025.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 74
  • dscn1282.jpg
    dscn1282.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 83
1. Draft beer Tap
2. Nuclear engine
3.Auto anchor system
4. Auto docking system.
5. Anti-rain switch.*

Were we being serious here?

SD

Gen set
iota battery chargers
led cabin lights
speakers on the flybridge
new garmin gps on flybridge

-- Edited by motion30 on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 08:53:54 AM

So how did the forward looking sonar work out?*
wink.gif

skipperdude wrote:

1. Draft beer Tap
2. Nuclear engine
3.Auto anchor system
4. Auto docking system.
5. Anti-rain switch.*

Were we being serious here?

SD
I don't know how serious we are but I sure like the draft beer tap idea! In fact, it is such a cool idea I now feel compelled to do it!

Yeah me to. I have the gear. I am a home brewer. I use the cornelius kegs.
I run sea water for coolant 45 deg run it off my washdown pump. have a small bilge pump to circulate and change the water.
Just need to permanently install the tap. Now it justs hangs off the back deck. I want a real tap with an oosik for the handle.
SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 04:30:26 PM

it is cool to see that people like their music on here like i do. another thing i was considering is a permanently installed margarita machine.

If I had me a 12 volt margarita mixer. I'd be listening to tunes too

A little Buffet goes a long way.
SD

You've got it all wrong. Aged rum and tonic with a lime wedge, no electricity needed! It's all good Mon!

I'm still looking to install a "Dial a Wind",