What does your boat look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Great Laker. I knew from your other posts that you had a range of experience with the boat and that was exactly the discussion I wanted to hear.

John

(Hint: do not use dog for scale...use daughters head in saloon window instead!)

That is one large hound. Looking at the boot stripe he's lowered the aft end of the boat considerably with his weight.

Did I?? My heavy boat isn't capable of exceeding hull speed, and the hull is definitely not designed for planing.

img_194638_0_45d7d5b8538da7149b896c22d9bcab82.jpg

....and a few other pics of her bottom
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=59010&postcount=7

Now I have a question? Is this hull shape that much different than this American Tug shape??

Attachments

• IMG_0284%20A.jpg
    IMG_0284%20A.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0283%20A.jpg
    IMG_0283%20A.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 97
We have gone over 5,800 miles on the Great Loop over the last year encountering a vast array of conditions.
So you have effectively 'lived onboard' for a considerable period of time?

I bought it because it had ..... a galley up, a walkaround queen, a fully enclosed shower, etc. I bought it because I thought it was the perfect boat to do the Great Loop. And importantly, I bought it because my wife liked it.

Have to agree with all of those reasoning, BUT I do have one question about the galley arrangement? I believe I would prefer to have the galley in a U-shape, and slightly dissociated from the main saloon....would you??

Attachments

• 1864779_11.jpg
    1864779_11.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 1864779_12.jpg
    1864779_12.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
....and a few other pics of her bottom
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=59010&postcount=7

Now I have a question? Is this hull shape that much different than this American Tug shape??

American Tug designers would say the AT hull design is night and day different than Mark's. Especially in its ability to plane easily.

The marvel of the ATs and NTs is the design and marketing genius of Lynn Senour and the rest of the design team to convince us they are trawlers, when in reality they are wolves in sheep's clothing. The public loves them and their resale prices so indicate.

So you have effectively 'lived onboard' for a considerable period of time?

Have to agree with all of those reasoning, BUT I do have one question about the galley arrangement? I believe I would prefer to have the galley in a U-shape, and slightly dissociated from the main saloon....would you??

------------------------------------------

On the Great Loop (still to be completed) we have lived aboard 265 days so far. We took everything we needed, including 2 folding bikes in the engine room, and still had several storage areas unfilled.

As far as the galley goes, sure I would like a U-shape with bar stool counter, and even a second state room, but you can't get either in this size boat. You have to go to the AT 41 for these features which is a much more expensive boat, and is 7 ft longer and 2 ft 7 in wider, has 1 ft 5 in more draft.

Also, if you compare the galleys in these two models the AT 34 comes out very well. It is a U-shape (but without bar stool counter), has the same twin stainless sinks, stove/oven and microwave and only a slightly smaller refrigerator. Yet the AT 34 has more open counter length and more storage. Note that in the AT 34 floor plan below, the area starboard of the refrigerator, also colored white, is also chest high kitchen storage.

My wife loves the galley for its space and views out the large windows, and cooked the same kinds of healthy meals we are used to eating at home.

Attachments

• AT 34 Floor Plan.jpg
    AT 34 Floor Plan.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 124
That is one large hound. Looking at the boot stripe he's lowered the aft end of the boat considerably with his weight.

He's pretty big but he aint that heavy!

It was early in our trip with all tanks full, including the extra 40 gallon fuel tank the PO put in, so Badger was sitting pretty arse heavy.

------------------------------------------

AT 34 floor plan...

My wife loves the galley for its space and views out the large windows, and cooked the same kinds of healthy meals we are used to eating at home. [/QUOTE]

Larry - You have real nice 34'er

Ditto here, regarding... My Admiral, and most apparently yours too, feel good about up-galley and therefore cooks us great, healthy meals.

My gal feels she is trenched in the gallows (i.e. being a galley slave! lol) when down-galley is the layout. But, she feels great being with company and looking out big windows with galley-up! I understand completely!!

Art :dance:

Attachments

• Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 97
Re steering position. Most Australian built boats were built with port side steering.
But with the influx of foreign built /American designed,inspired boats in the country these days it is not very obvious any more.

As far as the galley goes, sure I would like a U-shape with bar stool counter, and even a second state room, but you can't get either in this size boat. You have to go to the AT 41 for these features which is a much more expensive boat, and is 7 ft longer and 2 ft 7 in wider, has 1 ft 5 in more draft.

Also, if you compare the galleys in these two models the AT 34 comes out very well. It is a U-shape (but without bar stool counter), has the same twin stainless sinks, stove/oven and microwave and only a slightly smaller refrigerator. Yet the AT 34 has more open counter length and more storage. Note that in the AT 34 floor plan below, the area starboard of the refrigerator, also colored white, is also chest high kitchen storage.

My wife loves the galley for its space and views out the large windows, and cooked the same kinds of healthy meals we are used to eating at home.

I assume this AT 395 is the 41 footer you are referring to?. and I thought the newer 34 footer was referred to as the AT 365?? So is she really 7' feet longer or about 5' longer?

In either case I really am having trouble understanding how this little bit of difference in hull length can have such a BIG effect of the pricing?? Both of these vessels require a very similar equipment fit-out in the theme of things. and an old axiom is that the hull structure of a vessel probably accounts for no more than 20% of the cost of building a vessel.

Here is the layout of that 395 model,...not that much different than the 365?. I think they even have the same beam?
395-PlanView-, ps.jpg
365-Layout-A, ps.jpg

JN 46 - Houston TX

Jarvis Newman 46

Attachments

• GOPR0045.jpg
    GOPR0045.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 110
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 127
I assume this AT 395 is the 41 footer you are referring to?. and I thought the newer 34 footer was referred to as the AT 365?? So is she really 7' feet longer or about 5' longer?

In either case I really am having trouble understanding how this little bit of difference in hull length can have such a BIG effect of the pricing?? Both of these vessels require a very similar equipment fit-out in the theme of things. and an old axiom is that the hull structure of a vessel probably accounts for no more than 20% of the cost of building a vessel.

Here is the layout of that 395 model,...not that much different than the 365?. I think they even have the same beam?
View attachment 25178
View attachment 25179

The AT 395 is not the AT 41 I was referring to. Sorry, I was mixing new and old naming conventions. Let me begin by getting the numbering convention straightened out.

Under some industry wide agreements for standardizing how to calculate hull lengths, TOMCO has renamed all of their vessels, and they now better reflect the actual lengths.

AT 34 => AT 365 (36.5')
AT 41 =>435 (43.5')

At the same time, they produced a new boat named the AT 395 (39.5'). This boat has the same width and draft as the AT 365. It is a stretch version, adding 3' to enable a small second stateroom, room for a chair in the salon at the expense of a cabinet, and a bit of extra room in the cockpit.

The AT 435 is a much larger boat, with a full second stateroom, second head, U shaped galley, additional seating in the salon, and a much larger cockpit. The data I gave you (7 ft longer and 2 ft 7 in wider, has 1 ft 5 in more draft) was for this boat.

Be careful when you compare these floor plans on the TOMCO web site. The diagrams are adjusted to show all boats in the same size window, thus they are not to scale relative to each other.

I think you will find that the as new base cost of the AT 395 is about midway between the as new base costs of the AT 365 and the AT 435.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom