New Boat Toy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dswizzler

Vessel Name
Delta Swizzler
Vessel Make
1988 58' Vantare
Headed out to Angel Island this weekend on my first mooring buoy attempt and on my boat there is no option of picking up the buoy from the back and walking it forward. I was looking around the marketplace for the best option and decided on the new Robship Hook & Moor product.

Not the cheapest option but pretty happy with it so far. Appears very well made and a neat design. It passes you line through the moor ring and brings it back to the boat. I've seen it online for awhile but hadn't seen any reviews. After the weekend I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I did get the model that extends about 12 feet as I'm all on 10ft plus off the water at the bow. I'd be interested to hear results from anyone that has one. Mine ended up by around $150 delivered from Amazon, but the way it is built I'm pretty happy with that price.

If anyone is out at Angel Island Sun-Tues stop on by

Mark

Last edited:
I've been curious about that design, Mark. Looks like it will pass your mooring line through without having to use a smaller line as with the "Happy Hooker". Look forward to your review.

Yeah I'm interested as well. Looking to buy a boat with a bow 8' above the water with no walk around decks. Let us know how it works! Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Ray, exactly correct it does pass the line through the mooring ring and returns it to the boat. But the review will be delayed. The admiral just called and we will be delaying our trip one week. But I have practiced in the boat and on the dock, but the test will be real thing, moving boat, moving ring and old man with a stick. I'll let you know

I haven't seen this one before. I use the happy hooker clamped to the handle of a paint roller so that it screws onto a boat hook. So far so good but it is much easier with a ring that is sitting upright. Very challenging if the ring is laying down.

.. but the test will be real thing, moving boat, moving ring and old man with a stick ...

... and the strong currents running perpendicular to the mooring pairs in Ayala Cove.

Notice how the Coot is being pushed away between the fore and aft moorings:

img_192051_0_4a67fca6f5bf3a5607be398268f7f480.png

Ohhhhhh....that's cool! I've never seen that one before. That looks MUCH better than a Happy Hooker. Versatile and sturdy.

Next weekend, huh? Sounds pretty tempting!!!

Very cool' I'll be asking for one from my inlaws for Christmas.

I know what my Admiral is getting for Christmas!

Hey Larry, am I on your Christmas list? I've been very nice!!

I have one and it is awesome! No more hauling up the ring and wishing for a third hand. Even the Admiral likes to play with it.

Winner

Just go back from Angel Island and this tool thing works great, I'd like to buy stock in the company. The trick will be to see how long it will last, but it appears well built and worked great. My bow is a good 10 feet off the water and with the pole extended, it worked great.

If someone is wondering what to put on the Xmas list, I suggest this tool.

The weather was great and their were plenty of mooring buoys and not a big crowd on the island. Took some bikes out with us and had a great ride around the island. Then we took the Whaler around the island just for a different view. This morning took the whaler over to Sausalito and Richardson Bay, the water was flat. So nice to have a decent sized tender that you feel safe just jumping into and heading out.

Mark, no doubt I've got to save up and get me one of these "toys" even though it looks/functions like a valuable tool.

Really cool! Thanks for the link.

The Robship I ordered to makethe Admirals life easier. Just arrive today, is it well built/designed and works absolutely great in our test runs. Picking up mooring buoys will be a piece of cake this year........:):flowers::thumb:

It is absolutely great to see something that works so well. I thought it was going to be like the infomercials and the demos at the fair where it always looks so easy but then when you get it home, you can't do anything with it. Glad to hear the rave reviews of members here.

I think our money would be more cost effectively spent if we bought our "Admirals" presents for Christmas instead of tools. No wonder there's so many single guys on this forum. We hardly ever do buoys but when we do I'm the one hang'in over the bow fuss'in with the buoy ring.

Mark you're supposed to use only ONE buoy and leave the others for others.

I think our money would be more cost effectively spent if we bought our "Admirals" presents for Christmas instead of tools. No wonder there's so many single guys on this forum. We hardly ever do buoys but when we do I'm the one hang'in over the bow fuss'in with the buoy ring.

Mark you're supposed to use only ONE buoy and leave the others for others.

Not all spouses and not all moorings are created equal.

If I bought Meg something that made her role on the boat easier and safer, she'd appreciate it. And knowing Cindy, she'd be thrilled with a gift like this. Mark's 58 Vantare requires 2 to moor unlike some of our smaller boats.

At Angel Island State Park where Mark was mooring, unlike many other moorings, it is REQUIRED that you moor bow and stern in proper alignment of bow NE. This is due to the swirling currents in Ayala Cove just off Raccoon Strait.

img_215238_0_b473360f28e5a3ef221228c588f8e00a.jpg

Last edited:
Not all spouses and not all moorings are created equal.

If I bought Meg something that made her role on the boat easier and safer, she's appreciate it. And knowing Cindy, she'd be thrilled with a gift like this. Mark's 58 Vantare requires 2 to moor unlike some of our smaller boats.

At Angel Island State Park where Mark was mooring, unlike many other moorings, it is REQUIRED that you moor bow and stern in proper alignment of bow NE. This is due to the swirling currents in Ayala Cove just off Raccoon Strait.

img_215244_0_b473360f28e5a3ef221228c588f8e00a.jpg

Wifey B: hehe.....do they come with diamonds on the handles? At least designer leather? Does Gucci make any?

Just teasing. He just ordered one last night. We don't moor much but I see so many uses.

I'd be happy with one of those for Christmas......and a diamond necklace on the side.....lol

Actually we buy relatively small presents for each other and our largest present is always together and something we can use together and enjoy. If we didn't agree to limits in advance there is no telling what he'd buy me. He has no self control in that regard.

Well she got her Christmas gifts, this one was just a February boat gift to make what she enjoys doing to help with and she is ecstatic with it, already makes it work like a champ. Maybe you should have one and then you could stop hanging over the bow fuss'in............:thumb::):)

Now if someone could come up with a modified, angled, bigger loop version of that thing which would work on bull rails. You know. something a bit more elegant than grappling hooks or bent up pieces of rebar.

Here's one my wife picked up at the Seattle Boat Show last month, the inventor was demonstrating them and he was a kick to talk to. Haven't had a chance to use it but it's pretty clever. Screws onto the end of any boat hook/painter's pole.

The Grabber - Mooring Retriever

Our boat hook is kept in a "place of honor" in the pilot house, always at the ready and far from sticky fingered dock walkers.

Attachments

• hook.jpg
    hook.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom