Exploring our options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tharris48

My husband and I are currently looking at different trawlers to start our boating adventure. I grew up on a boat (literally) out in California and my husband has no boating experience but is VERY mechanically experienced. We want to start small and see how well we adjust to a boating lifestyle. We have no problem with the idea of the work in maintaining a boat and like the idea of a boat that we can enjoy on the weekends, working on it, and relaxing at the end of the day. With that in mind, any suggestions on what size, make of boat recommended for us to take the leap? We are looking at 30+ foot boats, single screw, diesel....All input greatly appreciated

I would go with a late model IG or GB, also lets not forget the Californians built in the late 70's and early 80s. My favorite is the 34 LRC and there are several in California as they were built in CA! - diesel powered, great lay out, you can get your money out when you go to sell, lots of support for all three brands.

I would go with a late model IG or GB, also lets not forget the Californians built in the late 70's and early 80s. My favorite is the 34 LRC and there are several in California as they were built in CA! - diesel powered, great lay out, you can get your money out when you go to sell, lots of support for all three brands.
Ditto! I agree exactly with the quote above! :thumb:

Tharris, me and my wife are new to this also, we have been looking at some nice 38' to 40' . I find the ca, flybridges to be nice vessels with big master bedrooms. we are also looking at some older hatters and some gulfports ,really its all about what can you deal with and deal with out. some models iv seen have great creature comforts where others had very few but had great range .it also depends on what you'll be doing with the boat, like partying, cruiseing,island hopping or just a weekend adventure here and there. me and my wife are planning to live aboard and travel the Bahamas. we know we want a big master suite , with air and a large fridge for long trips. we also need a water maker and id prefer one with solar pannels as they will help cut cost of power down. there is much we have learned in the last year of looking and planning the plunge to the boating lifestyle . i hope this helps a wee bit and any other questions you may have please fill free to ask.

I know of a perfect-condition Back Cove 34' in Maine - these are traditional, down-east style yachts made in Maine - I'd buy one of these myself if I weren't already over-boated (Back Cove 26, Island Pilot DSe 12m, Donzi 18, Maas rowing shell and a few more small craft).

30+ feet covers a lot of different boats. If you want look at boats at the lower end of that size range there are 34 foot Nordic Tugs and American Tugs which are very well liked single screw trawlers. Looking at these will also allow you to view boats with the master stateroom forward as opposed to in the stern of the boat. Peoples' preferences vary.

Marty

Last edited:
Consider buying something that holds its value in case you want to bail if it doesn't work out.

I was in a similar situation. I grew up boating but my wife did not. One of my rationalizations was that I could flip a Nordic Tug without taking too much of a wash if it wasn't a good family purchase.

tharris, I'm not going to recommend any boats to you, but I will make a couple of recommendations I make to people looking for their first boat.....

#1-Buy your second boat first. By that I mean take your time, do your homework, walk on lots of boats at boat shows, talk to people on the docks, and maybe charter a boat or two. The whole emphasis there is take your time. Many people buy their first boat without doing the necessary home work, only to discover that it's too small or too big or doesn't have enough room or it has too many stairs, etc. They keep it a year or two then trade it for the one they should have bought first....their second boat.

#2--the wrong boat, even at the best price in the world, is still the wrong boat. Go back and read #1 about taking your time, walking on lots of boats, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your search goes.

Thanks so much for the input from each of you. All great points to consider and will help us in our search. TF is a great resource in so many ways! I will keep posting on how our search evolves, keep the suggestions coming!

We sure do like our Monk 36. If you have a chance check them out.

We sure do like our Monk 36. If you have a chance check them out.
Geez....For crying out loud, Steve! A Monk 36?

(Actually, they're a great boat!):thumb:

Attachments

• Monk 36.jpg
    Monk 36.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 100
Yes, I'm sure a ballpark budget figure would affect boat builders....We are looking at what is on the market at under $150K.

Have any of you heard of a Conquest 38? I have googled this boat but can't seem to find who is the builder. It is a 1980 trawler, she looks good but don't like the idea of not being able to track down her builder. What do you think?

I have not heard of the conquest. Nice looking boat that seems related to a lot of the CHB family of boats. Can be a lot of boat for the money depending on how it was taken care of and how it was all put together. There is a good reference on buying this style Asian Trawler at this link CHB BUYERS GUIDE

Take your time to find out what to look for in any brand you finally consider. They all have their own idiosyncrisities and groups that have addressed them.

Good luck on your search. Walk docks, talk with owners and go aboard a lot of boats. Figure out what you like and do not like by being aboard. Take notes, make lists and do not be afraid to adjust your thinking. We thought we wanted a Europa sedan style for years but decided it would not work after being aboard several. We wanted separation of space for any family or guests we might have aboard and the tri cabin was our final choice. Had to modify our thinking as we "felt" what it was like when aboard the boat. Notes, notes, notes. Your memory will blend all the boats you look at.

Have fun!

My husband and I are currently looking at different trawlers to start our boating adventure. I grew up on a boat (literally) out in California and my husband has no boating experience but is VERY mechanically experienced. We want to start small and see how well we adjust to a boating lifestyle. We have no problem with the idea of the work in maintaining a boat and like the idea of a boat that we can enjoy on the weekends, working on it, and relaxing at the end of the day. With that in mind, any suggestions on what size, make of boat recommended for us to take the leap? We are looking at 30+ foot boats, single screw, diesel....All input greatly appreciated

Since you are just beginning my advise is to go to boat and trawler shows so you can go on an compare to see what you likes/dislikes are. At least the lay out, size. creature comfort and budget. I would not be too concerned about the name brand at this time. the present condition of the boat is more important than name brand. You might be surprised what you end up buying, and if you go on enough boats when you find THE BOAT you will know this is the boat.

Also make sure you walk through the yards so you understand and know what the boat is below the water. If the boat is a single, I highly recommend it have a bow thruster because of the reverse prop walk.

Last edited by a moderator:
At $150K, you'll get a great selection.

The 34 Californian LRCs are all twins, but if you can live with that, they can be had in the $40-60K range, depending on condition. They offer a big bang for the buck with 2 staterooms, dry head with shower, large cockpit. A big plus to me on the 34 LRC is that even though it's a twin, the ER is big for a boat its size and engine access is good with inline diesels.

Plus, at about $50K, you get a turnkey boat with $100K to spend on upgrades and fun. Hard to go wrong with a well maintained Monk or IG, though.

Update on boat search....

Well, we appreciate all the input from TF members, they couldn't have come from a nicer bunch! We are in the final stages of purchasing a GB 32, 1973 hull #436. So we are starting with an older GB with fiberglass hull. I don't think we could have found a finer older GB than this one. You can see her listing to see some nice pictures at www.commonwealthyachts.com
She is actually only 15 minutes from our home! We feel so lucky to have found her and we love her name, Tenacity, so we will be keeping the name.
Hopefully we will be her new owners in the next couple of weeks, thanks again to all of you for your input.

Nice looking boat! Glad things have worked out so that you found something you like. And certainly it being that close to home is a definite plus.

Back
Top Bottom