Great Harbor Trawlers still in business?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While viewing them all in Green Cove Springs, I took a video of them and recall that there didn't seem to be a difference in the pilothouse or engine room in the 37 vs. 47 (and didn't need to be). Of course, both have the same nearly 16 ft. beam. Thanks for reminding me of that, cuz I really do need to go back and see the videos again, if I can find them.

One thing I have to add, though. I wasn't knowledgeable enough about cruising that I really understood the significance of what Eric Kraft was pointing out in the various storage areas of the boat, especially under the sole....with pull out hatch access fwd., aft, and amidships. He opened a big, gas assisted floor hatch in the pilothouse to reveal a stairway down into what they call the "bosuns locker". This was a full beam space, maybe 5 ft. or so long if I recall, but nearly 16 ft. wide and close to 6 ft. in height I think. Cubic wise, this is probably more storage space than I have on my entire boat, which by-the-way, has huge storage. A full size stack type washer and dryer could go on one side easily. A deep freezer and shelving on the other. Heck, it would probably hold my Admiral's shoe collection. This is truly one of the great assets of that series, and is also one of the reasons why I'd probably choose the N over the GH. I didn't check for it, but I suppose since the GH has a half-height engine room of the same size as the N, the GH may also have a storage locker of similar size, but again, half height.

Whatever you think of this fat, bulky style of boat (like mine), it has its assets.

Last edited:
While viewing them all in Green Cove Springs, I took a video of them and recall that there didn't seem to be a difference in the pilothouse or engine room in the 37 vs. 47 (and didn't need to be). Of course, both have the same nearly 16 ft. beam. Thanks for reminding me of that, cuz I really do need to go back and see the videos again, if I can find them.

Can you post them if you do?

Can you post them if you do?

I've recently moved to our new home on the Gulf side of FL, and the videos are on my old desktop computer, still packed. When we finally get to it, I'd be happy to send you copy, but in the meantime, you're so close to Green Cove Springs, why don't you call them and drop over. Since the charter boats are moored there for the winter rentals, you could get a fresh look.

I've recently moved to our new home on the Gulf side of FL, and the videos are on my old desktop computer, still packed. When we finally get to it, I'd be happy to send you copy, but in the meantime, you're so close to Green Cove Springs, why don't you call them and drop over. Since the charter boats are moored there for the winter rentals, you could get a fresh look.

I should but I keep putting it off.

:'(

. One thing I have to add, though. I wasn't knowledgeable enough about cruising that I really understood the significance of what Eric Kraft was pointing out in the various storage areas of the boat, especially under the sole....with pull out hatch access fwd., aft, and amidships. He opened a big, gas assisted floor hatch in the pilothouse to reveal a stairway down into what they call the "bosuns locker". This was a full beam space, maybe 5 ft. or so long if I recall, but nearly 16 ft. wide and close to 6 ft. in height I think. Cubic wise, this is probably more storage space than I have on my entire boat, which by-the-way, has huge storage. A full size stack type washer and dryer could go on one side easily. A deep freezer and shelving on the other. Heck, it would probably hold my Admiral's shoe collection. This is truly one of the great assets of that series, and is also one of the reasons why I'd probably choose the N over the GH. s.

Great addition, HH! I think I saw a picture of the space you are referring to on a YW listing (there was a clothes washer in there) but based on the photo I never would have guessed it was as big as you described. So this space is aft of the engine room and accessible only from inside the pilot house? I have not seen a picture of a similar space on a GH.

I agree the N series has a lot of advantages. Having a w/d in the bosun's locker isn't as handy as having it in the main living space, but it might be worth having a real kitchen and bathroom in a 37' boat!

Personally I think the GH37 is the more desired model over the two.

But then, I haven't been on either one...

:(

Personally I think the GH37 is the more desired model over the two. But then, I haven't been on either one... :(

Me either BB. :( I need to convince the admiral to charter one as an into to the trawler lifestyle!

I'm a huge Diesel Duck fan for serious long haul passagemakers, but either the N or GH seem to be winner of the coastal cruiser cup in my book. I can see advantages to both the Ns and the GHs for that line of work.

For a solo liveaboard, I'd take an N. For warmer climates, I'd take an N with a FB. For a couple who needs more space, a GH. For colder temps, a GH would be the choice. For hanging in gusty anchorages, an N. Could go on and on.

Either way, it's a lot of boat in 37', and it isn't over powered like most of its competition (the thought of feeding 600hp worth of cats makes me cringe regardless of my income level).

Some day.....

Having a w/d in the bosun's locker isn't as handy as having it in the main living space, but it might be worth having a real kitchen and bathroom in a 37' boat!

Well, if you don't like it in the bosun's locker, I think there is room for it in the engine room too, but I doubt you could get most Admirals to go in and out the engine room for laundry, especially while underway. In an N-37, if you don't need the spare stateroom, I guess you could make it a laundry/utility space. The one I was aboard had a nicely-placed Splendide Combo W/D unit mounted in the Galley companionway, which took cupboard space from the Galley, not that you didn't have enough already.

The interior is very pleasant, but doesn't have the richness that strikes you in a teak paneled boat. Perhaps this is for more than one reason. First, a dark teak finish might make the area below "dungeon-like". Second, it saves building costs. The full size appliances must be a dream to the Admiral wanting to live at the dock.....they're huge. Frankly, while I understand the practical thinking behind it, such appliances are way too ostentatious for my cruising plan (just my preference), especially at anchor. If my Admiral didn't see them first, I'd change them out for units that draw a lot less juice, and there's plenty of space for solar around the boat. I'm sure most of us could figure out what to do with the extra space.

The N-series is less windy (even Ken Fickett testifies to that), and if there is a sacrifice, it would be that the Pilothouse is also the salon. With the ample seating, and better, higher view of the water than the dedicated GH salon, I'm not sure if that is a sacrifice or not. Of course, in bad weather there would be more movement. The seating includes a good sized couch and a large L-shaped settee that seats more than most dedicated salons at 37'. In fairness, I should add that the GH does have the dedicated salon, but in addition, it has a similar pilothouse arrangement with a large settee and helm seating. Their both space monsters if that's what you're looking for.

Bosun Locker

Having been a full time live aboard with 4200 hours under the
Keel I've formulated an opinion on what modifications I would make
To our boat given money and magic wand. First. To clear up the difference
Between an N-37. vice N-47 with regard to bosun lockers and engine rooms.
Simple add approx. 1' to the height of those in a 47. That's the difference.
For modifications in the N-37 I'd make the small second stateroom
A dedicated utility room installing compact washer and dryer and locating the
Inverter chargers in there as well. Approximately an extra foot could
be added to the head to make it very roomy. I'd rather have propane
For the cooktop but Mirage refuses to install propane as have many of the builders. The large(23cuft side by side) household fridge freezer frozen is surprisingly efficient given it' s size and great ice maker and offers incredible food storage for extended cruising
The inverters/battery bank handle it well and it can be fixed anywhere a sears repair tech is. I've been looking hard at solar
But need $ to do it. 4 265 watt panels would
compensate for the fridge draw and permit days on the hook without running the gen-set. As far as handling is concerned. This boat can be moved sideways to port or starboard by use of rudders and splitting
plants e .g . To move to starboard turn wheel to port,
Put port engine forward , starboard in reverse and with appropriate power the boat will move sideways to starboard.
Hopefully this clears up some issues .

Joe

Great Harbour Differences

To start the hull on the GH and N 37s are exactly the same as well as the two 47 are exactly the same. Additionally the difference between a 37 and 47 hull is a strategically placed 10ft stretch in the middle of the hull. This is something that was calculated very early on in the design process of the boats and as a result the 47 ft hulls are probably a little more efficient for the load than the 37s.

There is a huge difference in space between the GH and N models for living space but the N may edge out the GH for storage. The reason that the N47 is one foot taller in the engine room and bos'ns locker is that since it has the same deck house in the same place as the 37 there is 10ft more deck in front of the helmsman and we felt that we needed better visability so we raised it one foot.

The N47 has a standard residential stack washer/dryer built in the master stateroom. The bos'ns locker on my own N47 has a full Captain's Cabin built into it with a separate hatch for access to the outside. It also has a head and shower in that same cabin. Cozy but nice with a larger than queen mattress.

The galley, deckhouse and engine room are identical on both the N37 and N47 with the exception of the additional one foot height in the N47 engine room.

Mirage has made the decision to not produce the GH 37 or 47 at this point and focus on the N models. In real terms whenever we made money on an N model we lost it on a GH. The GH models are considerably more difficult to produce and much more costly. It is difficult to compete in a market where the vast majority of our competition is from Chinese made boats. Such is the boat builders world. That having been said I would expect that the GH47 is possibly my favorite boat among all the trawlers we build for it's all around capabilities.

One last point about the interiors of our Trawlers. The look of the interior was designed to emulate Hereshoff's traditional look of painted pine "V groove" with mahogany accents. Not only is this interior extremely durable but it is easy to maintain. All of the scuffs and scrapes, gouges and dings that make wood panel look like crap after a few years can be repaired completely with this fiberglass wall paneling that is unitized with very rugged bulkheads. In the competitive world we live in it made sense to me to provide an attractive but utilitarian interior and then go all out on the things that do make a difference to an owner like unsurpassed structure and high value systems. When it comes right down to it as a customer you are trying to figure out which builder made the best use of your money when he built your boat.

Last edited:
Heal hustler & JoePica,

There is an active thread on using household fridge and solar on this site. Check it out.

. The bos'ns locker on my own N47 has a full Captain's Cabin built into it with a separate hatch for access to the outside. It also has a head and shower in that same cabin. Cozy but nice with a larger than queen mattress.

The galley, deckhouse and engine room are identical on both the N37 and N47 with the exception of the additional one foot height in the N47 engine room.

Ken: I'm really having a difficult time visualizing that. You mean you have the same hatch and stairway from the Pilothouse sole down into the bosuns locker, and have utilized the space for a Captain's cabin, complete with shower, head and queen berth? I don't think I went down into the N-47 bosun's locker, but I recall the N-37 being 4.5 to 5' wide and full beam between the bulkheads. Are the bulkheads moved further apart on the N-47? With the extra height, is an entrance to such a Captain's cabin possible next to the pilothouse stairway?

I thought I recalled being able to stand not quite straight in the N-37 engine room, even being a foot lower than the 47' as you pointed out. Was I mistaken about this? What height is the ER ceiling in the 37'? Thanks in advance for clearing up the conjecture.

Thanks again to Joe Pica and Ken for their inputs here! Who'd a thunk a simple question or two would have revealed secret compartments!

Would really like to see pics of the Captain's Cabin you describe. Sounds like a much larger version of the second "cabin" on the Ranger tugs, no?

Thanks again to Joe Pica and Ken for their inputs here! Who'd a thunk a simple question or two would have revealed secret compartments!

Plus one here, Animal. It's not often that you get some actual insight into the thinking, planning and marketing of a line of products like this. Major thanks.

Just toured a GH37 here at Aquamarine in Daytona. There's also a N47 here.

I love the layout of this boat. They told us about one for sale on the West coast of FL.

ForumRunner_20131113_171845.jpg

ForumRunner_20131113_171912.jpg

It's about time, Bum. Now get your carcass over to Ft. Myers and take a gander at Puffin. Let me know if you need company.

It's about time, Bum. Now get your carcass over to Ft. Myers and take a gander at Puffin. Let me know if you need company.
I recently made an offer on a GH37 and it was accepted after a little wrangling. Survey and sea trial coming up.

I really like these boats, and I don't mind the funky styling. Hope I can drive the damn thing.

We plan on making a Bahamas trip early this summer with the family, if I get the boat all sorted out that is. Anybody want to make the trip with us? Hold our hands? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Last edited:

We just officially moved on our boat this month. Shouldn't we see if this is going to last?

And it is Puffin...

Probably will.

They said it was on Yachtworld, but I've never seen it.

Last edited:
I recently made an offer on a GH37 and it was accepted after a little wrangling. Survey and sea trial coming up.

Nice choice CD!. :thumb: Hope it all works out well for you.

I'm really excited for you, dude. You'll get the hang of the boat very quickly if all things work out. Please stay in touch with us and tell us whay you've discovered about this design. Maybe you could convince the hierarchy to include a "Great Harbor" section. You'd make three that I know of, maybe four.

I really like these boats, and I don't mind the funky styling. Hope I can drive the damn thing.

We plan on making a Bahamas trip early this summer with the family, if I get the boat all sorted out that is. Anybody want to make the trip with us? Hold our hands? :)

I'm jealous.

;)

Way to go, Dude. We are looking at a trip to the Abacos in May. We couldn't cruise together because of disparity of speeds, but we could keep a watch out for you. Where do you plan to leave from? We will leave from Ft. Pierce.

Beach: I was just viewing your previous post that included an N-37 and I noticed something funny looking about the profile. Then I realized that it was the boat sitting behind it. Nevertheless, if I photoshop the background style "into" the N-37 and move the FB forward, it makes a very striking profile, however impractical. GH DownEast anybody?

Attachments

• GH changed.jpg
    GH changed.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 124
Beach: I was just viewing your previous post that included an N-37 and I noticed something funny looking about the profile. Then I realized that it was the boat sitting behind it. Nevertheless, if I photoshop the background style "into" the N-37 and move the FB forward, it makes a very striking profile, however impractical. GH DownEast anybody?

Larry, put a pilot house at the front of the house with a low profile fly bridge behind it. Could be a winner.

Way to go, Dude. We are looking at a trip to the Abacos in May. We couldn't cruise together because of disparity of speeds, but we could keep a watch out for you. Where do you plan to leave from? We will leave from Ft. Pierce.

Not sure where to cross over since I've never done it before. Heck it's going to take me forever just to get it to Florida from south Texas. Is Ft Pierce the best place to cross ?

Is the Okeechobee waterway still a possibility for a shallow draft boat? This GH draws less than 3 feet allegedly.

I have lots of research to to obviously...

Larry, put a pilot house at the front of the house with a low profile fly bridge behind it. Could be a winner.

Don. You'll have to explain that idea a bit more. The pilothouse is already at the front of the house, no? You mean a fly-bridge behind it, like on a Hatt 43 or something like that?

Don. You'll have to explain that idea a bit more. The pilothouse is already at the front of the house, no? You mean a fly-bridge behind it, like on a Hatt 43 or something like that?

Yeah, raise the pilot house where the bow level is the floor. Put the flybridge behind the raised section ala Fleming.

Is the Okeechobee waterway still a possibility for a shallow draft boat? This GH draws less than 3 feet allegedly.

FINE , most times of the year 10 ft for the commercials is maintained as depth.

Stop by if you go over west to east , were at Ortona.

I recently made an offer on a GH37 and it was accepted after a little wrangling. Survey and sea trial coming up. Trawler
Congrats and good luck with the rest of the sales process! Let us know what else you learn about the design during the survey!

Maybe you could convince the hierarchy to include a "Great Harbor" section. You'd make three that I know of, maybe four.

Don't forget to count all the dreamers who keep peppering those owners with questions!

Back
Top Bottom