View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #221
brian eiland
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Man-Hrs for Steel Hull Construction (part 1)

I think its time to take a more direct approach to this question of the cost to build this redesigned trawler I am proposing. We need to go to some steel boat fabricators and see if we can get some quotes from them to build the hull shell portion of the vessel. I suspect we will have several problems with our obtaining these estimates as:
1) I do not have the definitive hull design yet, nor the specific details that will be associated with that design,
2) I don't yet have a positive indication that the project will go forward, but favorable (yet honest) pricing estimates might help.

But lets go forward and see if we can figure out the 'man-hrs' needed to build the steel hull portion of this project. To make matters less confusing lets try to keep 'dollar figures' out of this estimate, and deal with the man-hrs needed. Then the project can be priced out at different labor rates that can exist in different regions of the USA, and/or other foreign building locations.

With Tad's considerable experience, I would ask that he also give us an estimate / guesstimate to finish this portion of the build.

Lets choose the hull design to be considered for this estimating exercise. The more I study the options, the more convinced I've become that the hull forms offered by the Florida Bay Coasters and the great Harbor Trawlers are a very favorable choice for this displacement speed Pilgrim. The hulls from both of these designs are very similar designs and have a documented favorable track record. Their hard chines, and considerable flat panel areas lend themselves to relatively easy fabrication in metal.

Look at a few of these hull cross-sections and photos.

First a few of the original Pilgrim design.
Click image for larger version

Name:	img47.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	24479

Name:	Pilgrim 40, bow view, 640.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	24480

Name:	Pilgrim 40 bottom, stern view, 640.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	24481

Then an overlaid depiction of that Pilgrim hull type, compared to the hard chine section of a Great Harbor hull.

Name:	Great Harbor hull form overlay.jpg
Views:	1155
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24482

Here are a few hull sections of the Fla Bay Coaster hard chine type

Name:	Fla Bay Coaster 1, 640.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	24483

Name:	Fla Bay Coaster 2, 640.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	24484

…..and some photos of these Fla Bay coaster hull types,

Name:	img20.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	24485

Name:	img33.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	24486

Name:	img23.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	24487

Name:	img36.jpg
Views:	24714
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	24488

This is NOT a really difficult hull shape to build.....lots of 'flat' or single curvature panels, and no mult-chine.

I would likely go one step further and do a more complete review of a variation on the FBC hull design that Jay Benford did, his design #295, a “West Coaster” for a gentleman who lived in California. That client wanted similar livability, plus more ability to deal with open ocean cruising. To achieve this Jay modified the hull form, particularly in the bow, giving it a finer entry and more flare.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote