One Less Nordy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickB

Guru
Vessel Make
CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Attachments

• NORDY ROAST.jpg
    NORDY ROAST.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 268
"Drinkers were holed up inside a nearby pub to avoid fumes pouring out from the blazing luxury yacht." I wonder if the wife would take that as an acceptable excuse for staying out late.

Even got a laugh out of my wife on this one.

Marty

Ouch! I've read several news articles about yacht fires/accidents over the years. Its a shame, from I see in the online forums, that many folks take pleasure in such news. I guess its similar to when some people see an expensive car in an accident... "that rich guy deserved it" mentality.

Fine boat indead. I would sure like to know what happened....I am working on the rebuild of my boat after a fire and I was on the fence about doing the electrical work myself until i was convinced by members on this forum to hire it out so something like this wouldn't happen. I hope nobody was hurt

Good thing the Egret is available.

Ouch! I've read several news articles about yacht fires/accidents over the years. Its a shame, from I see in the online forums, that many folks take pleasure in such news. I guess its similar to when some people see an expensive car in an accident... "that rich guy deserved it" mentality.

Or the jury of a negligent/liability case...the mentality that just because the entity has buttloads of money(ie Exxon-Mobile) that the plaintiff somehow deserves some.

2 yrs old. Multi millions value. For sale. Catches fire... Hummmm :hide:

Even got a laugh out of my wife on this one.

Marty
Yeah. . . I would like to have heard that phone call. . . . "Honey. . the police have locked us in the pub and won't let me come home for dinner!!" :flowers:

I was on the fence about doing the electrical work myself until i was convinced by members on this forum to hire it out so something like this wouldn't happen.

A good electric installation is mostly TIME , and proper techniques.

Finding a good electrician is probably far harder than a good surveyor.

Good hunting

I was on the fence about doing the electrical work myself until i was convinced by members on this forum to hire it out so something like this wouldn't happen.

Unless it is shown conclusively that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault due to an installation or repair performed by an unqualified person post delivery then your concern is unfounded.

If nothing had been touched since delivery the cause might be found to be the result of bad design, poor maintenance, or improper installation by the builder.

"Something like this" can happen for a million reasons. Hiring out electrical work to a competent and insured professional may provide peace of mind but it doesn't guaranty something like this will never happen.

Good point Rick. As with anything your always taking a chance on someone, I agree. The guy that I have doing the work, a little at a time, really has a grasp on design and the work done so far looks great. Not that I know what to look for, my simple test is pulling on the connection till it breaks. If the wire breaks the connection was good.

Good point Rick. As with anything your always taking a chance on someone, I agree. The guy that I have doing the work, a little at a time, really has a grasp on design and the work done so far looks great. Not that I know what to look for, my simple test is pulling on the connection till it breaks. If the wire breaks the connection was good.

:nonono:

If you actually have no clue... for sake of safety and caution... Paying an hour’s time for a second opinion by qualified marine electrician or surveyor might be in order. You sure don't want to ever imitate the Nordy in this thread! :facepalm:

:nonono:

If you actually have no clue... for sake of safety and caution... Paying an hour’s time for a second opinion by qualified marine electrician or surveyor might be in order. You sure don't want to ever imitate the Nordy in this thread! :facepalm:

I did and the funny thing is I thought I had a clue before this process started and going through the design process and watching it get implemented I realize I don't have a clue except for the basics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom