Back into boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McGyver

Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
1986 Ocean Alexander
Well, my wife and I finally decided to get back into boating after being out of it for several years. Now that we are retired we decided to buy a trawler and enjoy the travel. Purchased a 1979 34' CHB last year and have been enjoying using it and of course, working on it.
I'm interested in information about installing a Sideshift stern thruster. I understand one of the members in LaConner installed one last year. Sure would enjoy talking with that member.

McGyver
Anacortes, WA

McGyver welcome back. No info for you on the thruster just a hello from Bellingham.
Bob

Bellingham

My wife I both grow up in Bellingham. Lived most of lives there but moved to Anacortes to get back to the small town atmosphere.

Welcome back into boating. And working on it, of course. That is a great deal of the fun of it, at least for some of us anyway. Just long as there is a nice sunset at the end of the day, and the pleasure of a sundowner or two. Preferably with good company, but alone is not bad either.

The Admiral started her teaching career in Anacortes. We both work in Bellingham now. We will be sea trialing our new to us boat on the 25th in LaConner. If all goes well then back up to home on December 6th. Perhaps our paths will cross. Current boat is Siren and new boat is Ebb Tide.

Fair Winds,
Bob and Jill

Jwnall, MCGyver, Bob Cofer,
We and others should meet at a Starbucks or someth'in. My summer work is slowing down and we've actually taken the day off. At Starbucks in Mt Vernon now on College Way. Too cold and wet to work.

Not living in Alaska has it's advantages.

Stuck over at Grand Coulee Dam for the rest of this week. Sunday works for us.

Well, my wife and I finally decided to get back into boating after being out of it for several years. Now that we are retired we decided to buy a trawler and enjoy the travel. Purchased a 1979 34' CHB last year and have been enjoying using it and of course, working on it.
I'm interested in information about installing a Sideshift stern thruster. I understand one of the members in LaConner installed one last year. Sure would enjoy talking with that member.

McGyver
Anacortes, WA

Several years!! I couldn't make it one month! I tried--honest--I just couldn't do it. Congrats on the new boat.

The Admiral started her teaching career in Anacortes. We both work in Bellingham now. We will be sea trialing our new to us boat on the 25th in LaConner. If all goes well then back up to home on December 6th. Perhaps our paths will cross. Current boat is Siren and new boat is Ebb Tide. Fair Winds, Bob and Jill

Bob let's see some pictures of this new boar!

Well, my wife and I finally decided to get back into boating after being out of it for several years. Now that we are retired we decided to buy a trawler and enjoy the travel. Purchased a 1979 34' CHB last year and have been enjoying using it and of course, working on it. I'm interested in information about installing a Sideshift stern thruster. I understand one of the members in LaConner installed one last year. Sure would enjoy talking with that member. McGyver Anacortes, WA

McGyver let's see some pictures of your new baby!

If all goes well this will be our next boat.
544534_0_080620101338_1.jpg

Like the lines of the new to you boat! 360 views, gotta love the scene, even if your not moving.

1972 and she's a woody.

1957 Bellingham Trawler
3 Eddyline Kayaks
1 Tahe 585 Kayak
1972 GB 32 Sedan (pending)

We installed a sideshift stern thruster on our 32 GB and couldn't be happier. It was an easy install and it moves the boat well.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I think I will proceed with purchasing and installing a side shift system. It sounds as though everyone is very pleased with their decision to go with this system.:)

I am looking forward to seeing your progress as I am considering doing this also.

I am curious about why folks install a stern thruster on a single engine boat. I had a 36' Grand Banks single engine for 15 years and the stern was the easiest thing to control with its big rudder and prop walk. I understand the bow thruster equation but the stern thruster leaves me mystified. Can someone explain the need for a stern thruster? Thanks, Howard

Helps when the prop walk is the wrong direction. And everyone needs gadgets!

Stern thrusters

The rudder on a 34'CHB is very small and basically has no effect in reverse. The prop walks the stern to starboard. Goose and fill works pretty well but not in every situation. I want more control to avoid having my wife battle with the lines and dock.

McGyver

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom