Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabby View Post
Looking at the Mainship 350/390 and the Albin 36 fast trawler. Prefer single engine with bow thruster but small twin diesels will work also. Been looking for a year and just want to make sure im not missing other newer reasonably priced trawlers. Also, trying to get the Yanmar and not the Cat....Thanks
Okay. I shopped those two heavily against each other for a very long time. I don't think you are missing anything. You can find the Albin 36 with a single Cummins C series engine that always intrigued me. My opinion of the two:

The Albin I believe is a better built boat. Just switchgear and overall joinery seem to be more solid...the little stuff. The Mainship is a bigger more spacious boat. I was looking for a boat with a turn of speed so the Albin appealed to me in that regard with the twin Yanmar 315s. The Albin has a better planing hull. The Mainship will plane with the twin Yanmar 230/240s. But, for me, those were hard to find. In the end, it was a total tossup for me. Whatever boat could find me in the soonest amount of time. And then this Carver thing entered the pictured at a price I couldn't refuse so that is the way I went. The pool of Albin 36s have seemed to dry up! I haven't looked lately because I have been shooting the money gun at this thing.

Don't discount the newer Mainship 34s and even the Mainship 40. The 34s can be had for well under $150k and I am seeing the 40s around $175k. Again, choose the power to accommodate the speed you desire.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote