View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #52
hfoster
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Great point on stability test, but common sense also comes into play here. You take a vessel that seems top heavy or is top heavy to a degree, than you look at the hull and see there are no stabilizers on it odds are she is going to rock and roll at lower speeds with waves and wakes.

I have seen and been on many Carvers, of many different sizes, and I have never seen stabilizer on any of them. Not to say someone somewhere has not placed stabilizers on a Carver.

Keep in mind, Carvers are a planning vessel. Their stability comes from planning up out of the water. The debate is. “Carvers rock greatly at lower speeds from wakes from smaller vessels and waves because they are top heavy.”

Cruise ships are top heavy, and a great deal of them have stabilizers and they are kicking out some knots while under way. If you have been on a cruise ship in rough seas, you would know just how badly they pitch and roll due to their upper load. In fact, I just seen a story about how top heavy cruise ships are becoming and their size are becoming that of Air craft carriers which is making them unsafe.

But that is a whole other debate. We are not talking about cruise ships we are talking about late 80s Carvers!

I do enjoy us kicking this issue around, because it adds insight to someone like Ebach looking at buying a Carver and that is what this forum is for.

Happy cruising.
H. Foster.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote