Beneteau Swift Trawler 50 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colossus250

Vessel Name
The Beast
Vessel Make
Swift Trawler 50 2015
Hi everyone!!! i just bought a Beneteau swift trawler 50 and i would like to have your comments on this boat. The delivery is in may.

Hi everyone!!! i just bought a Beneteau swift trawler 50 and i would like to have your comments on this boat. The delivery is in may.
Good luck with the new boat but since you already bought it it's a little late for comments. :blush:

Go ahead, i'd like to read it !!!

tk
It would serve no useful purpose at this point. Let me just say that I was on a 42' and when I walked into the salon I could feel the teak & holly deck moving under my feet. They probably have improved since that first 42 and I have never been on a 50. :ermm:

Swift Trawler 50.
A heap of power, IPS I take it ( any protection around the props), I know they manoeuver well but they haven't sold me on the concept yet for a cruising boat that is.
I am on larger versions 5000 hp harbour tugs in my working life but don't go outside. They don't like it when you hit something.
Not a lot of fuel for all that power so will be calling into the fuel dock on a regular basis.
Give them their due plenty of space inside.
Nice and new should be a good ride.
Cheers
Benn

I just went to their web site and looked at photos.

Congratulations!!! What a cool looking boat !

Looking over the specifications and the photos it appears that you have a very nice Coastal Cruiser on your hands.

Here on the TF, a fast Coastal Cruiser was once called a "swiss army knife" of boats. Your boat fits that bill to a tee.

You can use your power to get somewhere in a hurry when you want to. You can kick back and go slow if you want to. With your fuel capacity of slightly over 600 gallons, and figuring on say 1.25 to 1.5 NMPG at displacement speeds you have plenty of range to go anywhere along any coast line in north America or the Carribean. if you wanted to take her through the Panama canal, and switch coasts you could do that too.

And...You have all the comforts of home.

I cannot speak for the build, and probably nobody here on TF can to any extent, as theres not much if any history here with that specific model. The reality is that your boat looks great, and will probably serve you well for many many years.

Plan your trips carefully, dont push the weather, and enjoy your boat! I wish you all the best in your travels.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat familiar with the boat, having read a few reviews and watched a video or two. I think you have a very intriguing vessel. Although I am a fan of classic or traditional design, the Beneteau Swift Trawlers have a design aesthetic I think is quite pleasing. Certainly unique in terms of "euro-styling", especially in our local waters. I'd have to say, "I like it!"

Congratulations. Inasmuch as you are asking for comments, I will be interested in hearing what you think of the boat once you take delivery. May, huh? How will you stand waiting??? :)

All I can say is you are a luck dog......welcome aboard! She is a beautiful vessel.......:thumb:

Congrats! I bet you are going nuts waiting until the spring:). I walked on a 34 at the boat show last year. There is a lot of boat packed in there and I am sure the 50 is in a whole other league...

Is this Beneteau's old 42, stretched to 44? Passagemaker has a good review in the latest issue. Nice!

No this the brand new 50 , new design and power.

Colossus:

Both the PM article and the Beneteau site show the overall hull length at 43' 9". Is that a misprint?

Colossus:

Both the PM article and the Beneteau site show the overall hull length at 43' 9". Is that a misprint?

Regarding hull Length Vs Overall Length, and advertising...

Back in the day marketing people advertised a boat based on its hull length.

A 34 tolly was 34' hull. My old 3488 Bayliner had a 34' hull. My 4788 Bayliner has a 47' hull.

At some point in the last decade it seems many manufacturers switched their marketing to advertise Overall Length. Some manufacturers kinda split the difference.

For example my 4788 Bayliner measures 53' 6" overall length. Meridian called the same exact boat a 490.

Its all advertising hype to market a particular boat as larger.

KSanders;

By that logic, my 44 is a 50.

When entering a strange marina I always ask for 51 feet, so I will fit without taking down the dinghy and the anchor, reducing my LOA to 50'.

The 43'9 is the part of the hull that touch the water. real length is 49'2

Not trying to be a butt......but......what exactly is "real length"??? There are a lot of measurements in the boating biz but I do not think I have seen that one.

What do you measure to determine vessel length?

My sanpan is called a 3580 and the insurance company says it's 37'...

What is it really?

There is length at the waterline....LWL
There is length overall.....LOA
There is length on deck....LOD

Usually LOD is what determines the marketing brochure length. But as someone has stated, that is changing. In some/most cases, I do not believe it to be disingenuous on the manufacturer's part. I just think many models have molded the swimstep into the hull which could be considered part of the deck and therefore factored into the LOD.

Not that this takes away from your boat but...

Per the specification:

Overall Length = 49'2" (this generally means anchor pulpit to swim step)
Hull Length = 43' 9" (this generally means the length of the hull as it comes from the mold)

Generally the length you refered to in your post "the part of the hull that touch the water" is called the water line length, and will be somewhat less than the hull length.

Those are generally the way things are measured on boats.

Marketing is a whole different thing, as I posted above.

also, referencing Bakers post, I think he has the right idea.
Take two boats. One has a molded in swim step, and a molded in anchor pulpit, say 40' length.

The other has a bolted on swim step, and a bolted on anchor pulpit, say 36' hull, but with the swim step and anchor pulpit installed 40'.

The molded in manufacturer markets their boat as 40'. Should the manufacturer that bolts their swim step and anchor pulpit market their boat at 36' or 40'?

This difference in manufacturing process appears to give the advantage to the molded in manufacturer. I can see why the bolt on manufacturer would market based on OAL.

Last edited:
Beneteau swift Trawler 50 review

We were on the Swift 50 on Saturday and were extremely impressed. The Euro style of the vessel is sleek and very functional. Beneteau has it dialed in with their engineering and quality control of a large number of boats that are manufactured annually !!!!

Usually LOD is what determines the marketing brochure length. But as someone has stated, that is changing. In some/most cases, I do not believe it to be disingenuous on the manufacturer's part. I just think many models have molded the swimstep into the hull which could be considered part of the deck and therefore factored into the LOD.

Of course, which one you use depends on whether you are paying moorage by the foot, in which case it's LFM:angel:

Congratulations! She's a beauty!

We're 150 hours into her little sister. Love her!

A few notes:

God forbid that you should ever need them, but, verify that the pins are removed from your fixed engine room fire extinguishers. Ours were not.

Our floor is a bit squeaky.

Tighten down nearly all of the screws. Some poor French worker must have been fired for stripping out screws, 'cause most of ours were loose.

Confirm that the manual bilge pump is working properly. Ours was not.

Please keep in touch!

Your tip about the extinguisher pins was gold. Mine hadnt been pulled. Thanks!!

Sunset Grille 2016- Swift 34

Hi
My pins on my 2015 st50 also hadn't been pulled. AlsoI had to wire the suppression system monitors to the main helm and flybridge.

There also were no carbon monoxide detectors on board! So I installed one in the galley and another in the bunk room cabin.

There is so much game playing on model designations, one has to be careful comparing. Go to the actual dimensions as Baker shows. Often instead of LOD, they'll show LOA without platform and pulpit and with.

Beneteau is probably the most guilty of using model numbers that make the boat seem bigger than it is, and they're worse about it on the Swift Trawler than on other models.

I have to laugh with us having purchased a Sunseeker Manhattan 65. It's the same hull and boat as the Manhattan 63 except it has galley up and the 63 has it down. They just needed to give it a model number and they like odd numbers. LOA is 69'1", but that's with a huge swim platform plus a bow pulpit.

It really makes it confusing at shows when you get on a model 34 right after a 320 and it seems smaller. Probably because it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom