Cruising with guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it would follow that the NRA sticker on a car would give a LEO "probable cause"..? I suppose my Veteran status on my drivers license also could make the leap for probable cause if I am armed?

No more than the NRA, "Terrorist hunting permit", and military service stickers on my truck would. Probable cause is probable cause. The rest is just "probable guess":rofl:

Here is a thought: how about actual application of the law?

Cool thought. As it should be:thumb:

If I am stopped for a routine traffic stop and the state I am stopped in doesn't require notification, then I expect the stopping officer to follow the law as required. If the voters and law makers wanted a mandatory notification it would have been in the law.

First, just to be clear, there are no "routine" traffic stops. Had too many friends and associated KIA in "routine" stops.

Law and officer safety are different things.
Whether you chose to notify them, as I stated previously, is your decision.:thumb:

If I am forced out of my vehicle and I am carrying, I would inform the officer at this point that I was infact carrying but this officer also needs to make damn sure he has probable cause.

PC for what?
If it reaches a point where you are "forced" out of your vehicle, I would think that notification is the least of your problems.:D

I want to support law enforcement and as long as they are applying the law I will. I also know and have seen much abuse of power and authority.
Citizens that obey the law have a right to also make it home. No matter how they come into "contact" with LEO.

First, I'm a newbie here, and only trying to help with some knowledge gained over 30 years in LE, 12 years in the USCG, and 21 years in the private sector. I certainly don't wish to alienate anyone, nor do I need to make enemies.

I also don't walk lockstep with anyone, be it the NRA, law enforcement, or the government. I think and act for myself, hopefully based on common sense and decency, and the applicable laws.

This whole "do I disclose" thing is really a moot issue. It's something you will have to sort out if/when the time arises. It's a personal thing for each of us. I look at it from a legal, procedural and officer safety standpoint, as well as a civil rights aspect.

If you went to any of the other websites I'm on, you'd see that by my posts:thumb:

I'm really here to learn about trawlers and motorsailer's
As a trainer, guns, and legal crap are just a few things that I've done all my life, and know a little something about. I just try to help out with some information, that's all.

Nothing personal.

Safe travels,

OD

Off Duty, we're good. Pretty thick skins here. Appreciate the insight from the blue light side.

Cheers.

My most recent gun purchase (no CCW required):

img_187301_0_63d1f16eb319c56b506eec057f52245d.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I have a FL CWP. If I am stopped in my boat by a LEO or the
Coasties, I'm going to tell them where my weapon is whether they ask or not. I'm a law abiding citizen and still think LEO's are on our side. I'm not interesting in testing my rights in court.
The only reason I would transport a weapon in my car is to or from the boat or the gun range. In that case it will be in the trunk under lock and key and if I'm stopped that info will be relayed immediately to the LEO.

Last edited:
Absolutley patently untrue.

Better check you facts there regarding CCW's. Your other statement regarding reciprocal rights is true.

California accepts no other state's CCW. One can't even open-carry a loaded or unloaded weapon in public. Very few sheriffs will issue a CCW to an ordinary citizen.

Last edited:
Jim, you live in El Dorado County...Mark lives in Contra Costa County. Big difference in Sheriff attitude and opinion on 2nd amendment. Open-carry rights (loaded or unloaded) are nonexistent in California.

This is a little known law in South Carolina, in other words, get a SC fishing license and keep a fishing rod on board and you can open carry. If stopped, all you have to say is you are going fishing. No CWP needed!

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

Sounds reasonable although overly restrictive.

Well then

Posters should not make blanket statements that involve the entire state.
I am in the State of Jefferson mind set.
We pay to Sac but get very little in return.
And Liberals make me ill.

Jim, you live in El Dorado County...Mark lives in Contra Costa County. Big difference in Sheriff attitude and opinion on 2nd amendment. Open-carry rights (loaded or unloaded) are nonexistent in California.

Well, Albin43... You have some answers to you original post. You have some good responses from Off Duty and others. It appears that you can keep lethal force on the boat but must abide by the laws of individual states when off the boat. Be up front with the Coast Guard and you'll be treated right, hopefully!

Tom, it went pretty well for a gun discussion. I mean we did make it to the third page without too many flames!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom