Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Adding on to my flybridge....ideas?

Quote:
captmorgan23 wrote:

Just wanted to ask if anybody had any ideas or thoughts on if I could make the canvas top over the back deck into a hardtop....thus adding more room to my flybridge and making the back deck more useable....
Or Morgan, you could do this......

This option, which, as others have mentioned, would not spoil the lines of the vessel, or add unnecessary weight up high, was what we did when the cockpit awning which was rather like yours, and did not cover enough of the cockpit on my CHB 34 sedan, became weathered enough to replace.* We just got a good marine frame fabricator to make an extended frame right to nearly the end and sides of the cockpit (leaving just a tad spare for rod ends, as Phil mentioned), and also extended it along the side decks, then covered with Sunbrella, to cover the windows for shade and weather protection and most of the cockpit, like the new Europas, but way less weight.* We are absolutely thrilled with the result.* If you don't really need more room in the flybridge, or to perch your dinghy there, there is no point in trying to make it rigid, with the added cost and weight.

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 11th of February 2010 07:02:37 AM
Attached Thumbnails
image138.jpg   image100.jpg  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote