New Boat - I like it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it won't be getting my vote for the prettiest boat of the year award!

Its like a giant floating banana!

That "reverse transom" eats up a lot of space that could make the aft cockpit a lot bigger. Lines are not as nice as the old Mainship 30/34's

The house is ugly, but the hull and mechanicals are interesting.

The fact that they show a photo of a Volvo-Penta D2-75 engine and call it a Yanmar makes me wonder what else is incorrect in this article.

Not so sure of the saildrives as a power choice. I seem to remember sailboaters having serious corrosion issues with them.

The house is ugly, but the hull and mechanicals are interesting.

The fact that they show a photo of a Volvo-Penta D2-75 engine and call it a Yanmar makes me wonder what else is incorrect in this article.

Maybe the exaggerated statement "She could be the most economical 32' couple's cruising boat on the planet. "

To me a boat with 2X the fuel as carried water starts to drift away from serious "economical" cruiser in my book.

I like it a lot except the transom. Some tramsoms of that type look great like the Pearson 38 but this one is very ugly. Stern seas may have fun w it too.

Add hype is over the top claiming 50% increase in fuel efficiency.

Hull number one is down here in Texas. Please see the Marlow Mainship section of this website for a thread directly related to this boat. Here was my overall first impression copied from that thread:

Well the dealer here in our neck of the woods got hull #1 of this model. And If I had to describe in one word....Disappointing!!!

The build quality is decent...as we would expect from Marlow. My first problem is that there is only 2 opening hatches on the top of the hardtop. The side windows do not open. And there is just a door in the rear of the "pilothouse" area. In Texas, this means that a generator is REQUIRED and air conditioning would have to be used for every day boating. So that right there means they have missed the market anywhere where it is hot. If no A/C was used in hot climes, you would find this boat adrift with skeletons inside!!!

Another problem on this particular boat....one of the power options is twin 75hp Yanmars!!!!! There is no way that this boat will plane with that kind of power(or lack thereof). Also why introduce complexity with another engine??? I understand if you need the power to plane but I just thought this was...uuuhhh...not that smart. Also the Mainship Pilot was wildly popular and 98% of them were powered to plane(I have seen one with the Yanmar 4LHA at 170hp). So they are actually redefining the market. Another power option is a 315hp Yanmar single. I would think that should be enough to plane...but just barely for a boat at 12000lbs.

Another problem....the back of the "pilothouse" goes within about 4ft of the transom. IOW, the cockpit is TINY. You might be able to fit 2 chairs back there facing each other. As a former Mainship Pilot owner, the cockpit is where the action is. No action here!!! The transom is "reverse raked" which takes up a HUGE amount of space for aesthetics. I will admit, there is a nifty elctro-hydraulic swim platform that turns the reverse raked transom into a nice swim platform. Which somewhat solves the space issue at anchor...but not under way.

Bottom line....this boat is a boat for people who like to boat "inside". Not only is inside not hospitable without optional A/C and generator, there is no "outside" space to retire to.

I honestly do not know where the marketing folks got their data, but I believe this was a big fail on their part. The boat is not terribly handsome either. Almost, but not quite. They should have stayed closer to what made the Pilot a great boat and a damn good looking boat at that!!!

Sticker price on this particular hull....$278,000...and that is without a generator. We were very excited to see this boat when it came in. We were very disappointed walking away!!!

They should have stayed closer to what made the Pilot a great boat and a damn good looking boat at that!!!!
Although I had a 1999 Pilot 30, I thought the 34 was a terrific boat! Very hard to beat although I've become acquainted with a Californian 34 which has a ton more room. (Whew!) :blush:

.... I've become acquainted with a Californian 34 which has a ton more room. (Whew!) :blush:

Aargh! Having trouble restraining myself. :whistling:

WILL....... NOT ........BITE ...on this straight line. :angel:

Greetings,
Welcome aboard....um, no I won't.
th

Add hype is over the top claiming 50% increase in fuel efficiency.

It's 30 - 50%. And the builder is not claiming that for this boat. The tester/reviewer mentions those numbers in reguards to other pod drive systems. Not the sail drives in nor this boat in particular.

"Efficient Pods. Tests conducted by BoatTEST.com comparing express cruisers with and without pod drives have shown an increase in fuel efficiency at best cruise from 30% to nearly 50% for pod drives over conventional straight shift drives. Although we have never conducted boat tests with and without Saildrives, we expect them to be more efficient, as well, but not quite as dramatic due to the fact that the Saildrive does not eliminate a rudder."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom