Bonehead Move...Today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point. There are always exceptions to the rule.

So my question is this: Who set the course on the AP to go straight into the rocks? :facepalm: Set or not, I don't believe that would have been my course. :nonono:

Always Always Always have to have someone on watch.

So my question is this: Who set the course on the AP to go straight into the rocks? :facepalm: Set or not, I don't believe that would have been my course. :nonono:
Good question and one that I've had a lot of fun with.

My friend was at the helm (an experienced rag boater) and asked where do you want to go? At that time we were about 3 miles out so I pointed to the turning point on the chart. ("B" ) He turned on the AP, moved the cursor to that point and pressed the "Go to Cursor" button. The AP did exactly that & since it had no further instructions, it was determined to go to that spot. :blush:

Set or not, I don't believe that would have been my course. :nonono:
It would if you want to get to my slip! Check the chart again. There's a hard left turn to the fairway that leads to my boat.

A new to boating buddy of mine had a recent incident. He's so new to boating that his ~40' didn't leave the dock for the first year of ownership.

Anyhow, he's heading home after an evening of drinking, the guest is taking a leak off the stern, it's getting dark so he opens up the throttles, head down on his smartphone checking e-mail .... BAM! Into the well marked underwater obstructions. 2 props, 1 shaft, tranny R&R, strut .... $30k and counting.

I'm not sure what else he could have done wrong.

The other day I was going out for a while and alone, I loosed all the lines, electric, and water and slowly started out of the slip when I felt a tug on the starboard rear quarter. Oops left a line on....no problem gears to neutral and three steps down to the rear deck remove the line and.....on the back deck.... watching my boat picking up speed to back into the dock. My rear boarding ladder saved the boat. nothing could save my pride nor my ladder. Should never have left the helm until I was sure I got the gears into neutral. I could swear I got them into neutral..

Two rules of docking: (1) Go Slow and Look Like a Pro, and (2) Wind and/or Current May Require an Exception to Rule 1.

I never go faster than what I'am willing to hit something when docking

interesting...My ancient Wagner just confuses me...cant see me ever trusting an AP...anyone want to but mine? I would like to remove it.

I was told there might be collectors interested...30+ years old...

A number of years back, I was piloting a relatively new (to me) boat across the Straits of Georgia in a building stern-quarting sea. The boat was a pretty good sized flushdeck with a lot of freeboard and shallow draft and it was getting a bit windy as well. The boat had a bigger than life old Bendix AP box in the wheelhouse. When I bought the boat, the PO told me the thing didn't work anymore and that he had a mechanic disconnect it. I took that at face value and never tried the system or investigated further. Back to the Straits--about the time the swells were in the 4'-6' range and it was getting interesting, I accidently bumped the power switch on the unit--if you have never seen one of these in action mid Straits in lumpy water is not the time to find out it still works. The first thing it was go hard to port, then it went hard to starboard then it centered up. It jerked the wheel out of my hands which hurt my wrist, the boat started a roll and knocked me off my feet. It was uncomfortable feeling the boat try to claw its way around. I was lucky I was able to switch it off and after what seemed like hours, was able to get back to the normal side of dealing with a quartering sea. I learned 3 lessons--never trust what a PO said about equipment on a boat--check it out yourself-- always put the safety pin in the fridge door before you leave the dock--and note to self, pack extra skivvies.

A number of years back, I was piloting a relatively new (to me) boat across the Straits of Georgia in a building stern-quarting sea. The boat was a pretty good sized flushdeck with a lot of freeboard and shallow draft and it was getting a bit windy as well. The boat had a bigger than life old Bendix AP box in the wheelhouse. When I bought the boat, the PO told me the thing didn't work anymore and that he had a mechanic disconnect it. I took that at face value and never tried the system or investigated further. Back to the Straits--about the time the swells were in the 4'-6' range and it was getting interesting, I accidently bumped the power switch on the unit--if you have never seen one of these in action mid Straits in lumpy water is not the time to find out it still works. The first thing it was go hard to port, then it went hard to starboard then it centered up. It jerked the wheel out of my hands which hurt my wrist, the boat started a roll and knocked me off my feet. It was uncomfortable feeling the boat try to claw its way around. I was lucky I was able to switch it off and after what seemed like hours, was able to get back to the normal side of dealing with a quartering sea. I learned 3 lessons--never trust what a PO said about equipment on a boat--check it out yourself-- always put the safety pin in the fridge door before you leave the dock--and note to self, pack extra skivvies.

Did you buy the PO a drink after that?

Nice ending.

On Last Tango, while transiting the ICW, I turned the helm over to my wife, telling her I would take the helm at the lower helm station. I forgot that I had it on AP. When I got below, all looked fine, I made a fine adjustment to course (to no avail and I didn't check) and made me a new cup of coffee. When I looked forward, we were off course, I knew what was wrong and confirmed by swinging the wheel, and took off to the flybridge. - My wife said 'she won't turn!'

Lesson Learned - Never turn over the helm without ensuring that the new helmsperson knows what is going on. - Our helm on our sailboat overrides the AP. On our trawler it doesn't. ---KNOW your equipment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom