The Ultimate 32' Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you say the NT is three cabin, do you mean the v-berth forward, plus pilot house, plus saloon? I always considered our boat two cabin: v-berth and saloon.

As for handling, coming from a sailboa the NT does seem rolly. However, we often raft with several much larger boats and everyone is amazed that our boat seems to have the same motion as the other ones. We've been in a large following sea once, and aside from needing to power up a bit, she handled very well. Before we kicked the speed up a couple knots, she was a bit squirrely. That is one benefit of the semi-displacement hull. Although we cruise at 7-8 knots probably 95% of the time, it is nice to know that you can get on step when necessary (WOT for our boat fully loaded is around 15.5). As for head seas, she handles those very well, although with the blunt bow it can be a wet ride. That is where the pilot house and wipers come in hand. As with following seas, if we put her on step, things really calm down and the spray is much reduced.

We came very close to a IG Europa 32 before we found the NT. Loved the layout, large flybridge and side decks. Probably would have put in an offer except we determined that shiping was going to cost a fortune becuase the boat was in the middle of the country. As I recall, the flybridge would have needed to come off for shipping. On the NT, all we had to do was remove the stack, antennas and bimini. She was about two inches below the max with the upper deck rails still on.

Dimer2,
Yup ....
We need to get out of the typical trawler box. There's more to boats than NT, GB and IG.
They are all compromise boats built to the standards of an imaginary boat buyer. The ultimate trawler can only be one that will sell the most boats. Committee drawn and specified for the perceived buyer. A guy so average you wouldn't know if you met him of not. Of course a boat like this could never be the ultimate boat. If it was ultimate in some way it would be unacceptable to the average guy it was designed for. One won't meet the ultimate boat anymore than the ultimate woman, house or car. The ultimate would obviously be flawless. If I was to drive the ultimate car somewhere I probably wouldn't be able to remember what it was. Kinda like the ultimate waiter or waitress. Couldn't remember a thing about them but the meal went perfect.

But there's two kinds of ultimate boat. One w no faults and one so wonderful and perfect it would blow all our circuits

So much for fun w early am thoughts but the ultimate boat would only be ultimate for one person. For me I could never have an ultimate boat as I'm too critical and If I thought I had it several moments later I'd be thinking of modifications I'd like to make.

Dimer2 thanks for the out of the box contender but if it were the ultimate it would only be for one person .. perhaps that would be you???

Carolena that's exactly what I'd expect from a NT and yes the fwd berth and head, the pilothouse and the aft salon. Why would you not count the wheelhouse as a cabin?

Last edited:
Before we kicked the speed up a couple knots, she was a bit squirrely. That is one benefit of the semi-displacement hull. Although we cruise at 7-8 knots probably 95% of the time, it is nice to know that you can get on step when necessary (WOT for our boat fully loaded is around 15.5). ...... As with following seas, if we put her on step, things really calm down and the spray is much reduced.
I hope you know that I was just kidding when I wrote about making sure that the IG & Halvo win. I've been on a NT 32, here in San Diego and consider it to be a terrific boat. It's a "tough" looking little trawler and my only gripe is the size of the cockpit. I was pleasantly surprised at the well located hatches to access the machinery. If I lived in the PNW, I'd have one but as previously noted, it would be a 42.:blush:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hal...H4Dw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1031&bih=513&dpr=1.5

https://www.google.com/search?q=32+...DQAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1031&bih=513&dpr=1.5

Attachments

• 32 Gourmet Cruiser Cockpit.jpg
    32 Gourmet Cruiser Cockpit.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 32 NT Cockpit.jpg
    32 NT Cockpit.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Eric, absolutely agree, 'ultimate' will always be subjective and to each his own....otherwise we would all drive the same car and be wanting to date the same woman.

I am currently looking to trade up and am torn between 'traditional' (Javis Newman), bells and whistles (Carver), bang for the buck (Bayliner - I mean that in the nicest way Kevin!) and that's before looking at drive trains lol.

Interesting thread BTW.

dimer2,
I think the ultimate boat COULD be selected objectively. The fact that I like a boat would most likely be subjective but but selecting it could be an objective act. And your needs in a woman may not be the same as mine so I would most likely reject your perfect woman. But ther'e are many cheap boats and unselected women. Our needs are all different but similar enough that the universal generic ultimate boat will be sought after my more people than out of the box types. My Willard is almost unusual here even though it's a trawler mostly because it's so slow. So Willy will never be the ultimate boat chosen by most people nor will the Jarvis Newman, Coot or Great Harbor. And in this regard the GB or IG or CHB or Monk ect ect ect are ultimate boats as they as they do so many things so well that their overall and greater sum of the many abilities they have reach higher than most boats.

The fact that I own an out of the box boat (Willard) and am lusting after the well known NT that is in contention for being the ultimate boat seems to indicate that I prop ably don't really know what I want. Better stick w what I've got.

Walt,
Yes I like your cockpit better than the NT. NT is too high up (the deck). But I love the little seat ... It's position.
Sorry about the mis-quote.

Once upon a time I had the choice between a 32' GB or Island Gypsy, or a 30' Willard. Choose the Willard and put a hard cover over the aft deck. Great boat. Handled some tough conditions in the Gulf and in Lake Michigan.

Marty

Marty,
Here's Willy w/o the aft deck cover. Always thought I'd put one on but I never got around to it even in Alaska. Thought for sure I'd need some spray rails too and never missed them either.

Attachments

• STH71271 copy.jpg
    STH71271 copy.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom