Pacific Northwest Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

desnbca

Vessel Name
Emerald Isle
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 37
I am asking this question of those of you who cruise the Pacific Northwest and are familiar with the boating market there. So here goes.

If you:

1 - had a budget to buy a boat of $150,000;
2 - wanted to spend two summers cruising Puget Sound, the San Juans, the Canadian Gulf Islands, Saanich Peninsula, the Vancouver area, and finally up to Desolation Sound;
3 - would normally have two on the boat (H and W), occasional family members, and occasional (pre-tested) friends (2 max);
4 - and wanted to sell the boat after the second summer,

what one boat would you recommend, with the ability to resell being very important?

For example, if someone asked me what boat to buy to use in our harbor of Newport Beach for two summers with the same facts, I would tell them to buy a Tiara 36 because it is a very popular boat here; can get to Catalina quickly, safely, and fit on most buoys; and can be sold relatively easily, all of those overriding the "express" styling.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Don

Don I'm not a PNW boater but am willing to take a stab at it. Those requirements and price range can get a well found Grand Banks 36 or sub 40' diesel powered Bayliner. Both of those boats along with Tollycraft are the work horses of the PNW from what I've been told. There's a large selection available on Yachtworld and if appropriately priced and well maintained tend to sell quickly much like the sport boat in your example.

If your same parameters where to be applied to San Francisco Bay or delta I'd be recommending a late model Sea Ray as you can't swing a dead cat by the tail around these parts without getting waked by one. The brands mentioned above are ones that most often come up when folks are looking in the PNW so can only assume their thick as flies up there.

Well found is the single most important part because while location, location, location are the 3 most important variables in real estate, boats are all about condition, condition, condition.

The Grand Banks 42 Classic is a comfortable and reliable coastal cruiser and very popular in the PNW. I did a quick search and found four for sale at your price point. I've chartered GB42s from Northwest Explorations and found them easy to operate, economical, and safe. They are also very wet and I hit my head every time I sat up in bed in the Europa version, reasons I ultimately chose a DeFever instead. But the GBs are solid and seaworthy and you would have an advantage selling it here after a couple of years due to their well-deserved popularity.

The $150K cap would put me in the seat of a very nice 37 planing boat. Tiara as you mentioned is a good choice - but with diesel heat!! I saw a great 37 foot well equipped gas Formula that would fill the bill last fall at our Marina. A well used cheap project trawler is not on my list.

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong with a GB 42 for cruising up here or a 36 either. Selling it will depend on price, market condition and the big three mentioned, condition condition condition.

Popular boats up here for many reasons. Though for a little more there is an amazing Willard 40 for sale, Northstar. This is a wonderful vessel.

I am asking this question of those of you who cruise the Pacific Northwest and are familiar with the boating market there. So here goes. If you: 1 - had a budget to buy a boat of $150,000; 2 - wanted to spend two summers cruising Puget Sound, the San Juans, the Canadian Gulf Islands, Saanich Peninsula, the Vancouver area, and finally up to Desolation Sound; 3 - would normally have two on the boat (H and W), occasional family members, and occasional (pre-tested) friends (2 max); 4 - and wanted to sell the boat after the second summer, what one boat would you recommend, with the ability to resell being very important? For example, if someone asked me what boat to buy to use in our harbor of Newport Beach for two summers with the same facts, I would tell them to buy a Tiara 36 because it is a very popular boat here; can get to Catalina quickly, safely, and fit on most buoys; and can be sold relatively easily, all of those overriding the "express" styling. Any thoughts? Thanks. Don

Why not ship that Tolly up here? Those are very popular and would fit the bill! With that said, by the time you moor, insure, etc. and with the risk inherent in a depreciating boat why not consider a long charter for both summers? Then just clap your hand and say "I am out." No worry about selling or maintaining in your short timeframe!

I am sure many will chime in but I would be looking for a well cared for repower that you can throw a few hundred hours on and then dump after a couple of seasons:)

Good luck!

The $150K cap would put me in the seat of a very nice 37 planing boat. Tiara as you mentioned is a good choice - but with diesel heat!!
Interesting take and I agree with it! I owned a 2000 35' Tiara Open and cruised her at 25 knots. My reason for selling was that all the amenities were below and my wife wanted to see out when in the slip or at anchor. Cruising at over 20 knots, however, when you are bucking a tide is really nice.

Attachments

• IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 178
Tolly was built in Lnadview Washington. so its native to the PNW. The best bang for the buck is still Bayliner and very popular.

Well, being I just bought a boat for the PNW. It would be 40' something with twin diesels, bridge and an enclosed sunroom. From here you can expand on say a cockpit or strictly an aft berth, and a good dink, heating. I would suggest start looking at the boats that are for sale up here. Many will be fully enclosed with isinglass and have some sort of heat. Good Luck.

LaConner Yacht Sales dosn't seem to know if it's a twin or a single.

So what's a PNW boat look like? Lived here all my life and I've heard that over and over. What is it ... The color, cabin style??? What makes a boa a PNW boat? Florida built boats are classier and perhaps better. Great boats come out of Newengland and there's even more European boats there.

The only feature I can think of that seems to be unique to the NW is the big aluminum reel style anchor winches. Don't see them anywhere else.

One feature of boats on this upper west coast is a nice big fishing cockpit aft. In Alaska everybody fishes. If you pass a guy on the street they will usually ask you "how's fish'in?". So a sundeck would seem the least likely to be a NW boat. But ther'e are sundecks here. Several years ago I had to ask what one was though so they can't be too numerous. But a fishing cockpit would seem a real feature of a PNW boat. But if one dosn't fish (like me) what would you look for to find a PNW boat?
'

Last edited:
The PACNW is Bayliner country.

They are far and away the most popular boats in many harbors.

Pick the size you want, buy it at a good price, and sell it in a couple of years.

As others have mentioned condition is everything. Equipment list is everything.

On that budget I'd be looking at a 3988 or possibly the aft cabin model, 3587 I think.

They can cruise slow if you want. They can cruise fast if you want. Very good lower helm, out of the weather. nice fly bridge for sunny days.

the big question is why not drive your tollycraft north? they are great boats as well.

Last edited:
Kevin,
Are you saying or implying that a Bayliner is a PNW boat because it's built here?

I was assuming that it was some feature or features of the boat that made it most suitable to the PNW. For the activity of boating here.

Adelaide,
I love NTs but what makes them a "classic NW vessel"?

Last edited:
Adelaide,

Bayliners are sun chasers, Nordic Tugs are season extenders. It's a much more comfortable vessel with our climate and maximizes the opportunity we have on the water.... Not to mention, the Nordic Tug was designed around the classic Tug theme specifically for the NW. Here is a little history of the Nordic Tug:

Nordic Tugs, Inc. - The Ultimate Trawler/Cruiser

Kevin,
Are you saying or implying that a Bayliner is a PNW boat because it's built here?

I was assuming that it was some feature or features of the boat that made it most suitable to the PNW. For the activity of boating here.

Adelaide,

I'm saying that Bayliner dominated the PACNW in terms of number of large cruisers produced. Those large numbers have produced a rather large following, making them an easy resale. Also some of their models, specifically the pilothouse models are well suited for use in the PACNW weather conditions.

Bayliners are sun chasers, Nordic Tugs are season extenders. It's a much more comfortable vessel with our climate and maximizes the opportunity we have on the water....

Thats a pretty broad and absolutely incorrect statement. The attribute that makes a boat a season extender in the PACNW is a fully functional inside helm station. While I agree that a pilothouse model boat is a season extender, I do not believe that the inside helm station on a Nordic tug is any more or any less functional than the inside helm station on a Bayliner or a tollycraft or uniflite, or many other brands with comparable sizes.

If we want to get specific, I would stack the pilothouse on the 4788 Bayliner against any boat on the market in its size range for useability, and features.

Specifically the main design feature that makes the Bayliner pilothouse so roomy is that it does not have a stairway forward, taking up room in the pilothouse. I'm amazed when I look at pilothouse boats, just how cramped many of the pilothouses are.
helm2.JPG

pilothouse-settee.JPG

Last edited:
For retaining resale value Grand Banks 36 to 42.
Nothing against Bayliners but there always seems to be a ton of them on the market which you'll be competing in; of course the inverse is true too...it can make for a more affordable boat to buy!

Last edited:
I'm saying that Bayliner dominated the PACNW in terms of number of large cruisers produced. Those large numbers have produced a rather large following, making them an easy resale. Also some of their models, specifically the pilothouse models are well suited for use in the PACNW weather conditions.

Thats a pretty broad and absolutely incorrect statement. The attribute that makes a boat a season extender in the PACNW is a fully functional inside helm station. While I agree that a pilothouse model boat is a season extender, I do not believe that the inside helm station on a Nordic tug is any more or any less functional than the inside helm station on a Bayliner or a tollycraft or uniflite, or many other brands with comparable sizes.

If we want to get specific, I would stack the pilothouse on the 4788 Bayliner against any boat on the market in its size range for useability, and features.

helm2.JPG

pilothouse-settee.JPG

Popcorn please! Oh add a beer to that too. This is more fun than seeing a Sea Ray and Bayliner owners go after each other! Opps:angel:

Which ever boat you choose, it will have it good things and bad. Most of all have fun and explore.......:thumb:

I don't know why a PNW boat has to look like a tugboat and go slow. I think what makes a boat good for the PNW is a decent heating system and anchoring system. Also the ability to get out of the rain and cold while still enjoying the scenery is a must.

The boat listed below is a heck of a deal in my opinion. This boat is just across from my boat at the Port Orchard Yacht Club and has been under cover its whole life. I know the guy trying to sell it and because of his wife, seldoms uses it anymore. I've been on it and it is pristine for its age. I don't know why it has not been sold by now except it may be who it is listed with.

I have absolutely no connection with this boat or the man trying to sell it but I think it is a lot of boat for the money. If you have any interest I would be glad to help off line. I'll put you in touch with a decent broker.

Ron

Robert Heay's Port Orchard Yacht Sales, Inc (Port Orchard, WA)

Popcorn please! Oh add a beer to that too. This is more fun than seeing a Sea Ray and Bayliner owners go after each other! Opps:angel:

Which ever boat you choose, it will have it good things and bad. Most of all have fun and explore.......:thumb:

too funny!

Its not a popcorn thing. Its a guy that posted basically that the Nordic Tug was the only boat to have in rainy weather.

Like all the rest of the non tugboat brands fall short somehow?

You know, it rains over twice as much in my part of Alaska than it does in the greater Seattle area. And it actually rains in the summer too!

I like Nordics, I like all three or four of them or so in our harbor. Great Boats. The rest of the several hundred boats are Uniflites, Tollycraft, Carver, many TT's, and Yes Bayliners.

Sorry, but it just twists me when people make blanket statements. Cant go out in the rain, cant go out in all but millpond conditions, cant coastal cruise.

Geez, how about we justify our boat purchase because we like our boats, instead of cutting down everybody elses boat decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Well, just in case keep some old towels on board as you WILL have leaks from the rain no mater what brand you have, or as in Kevin's world a good plastic shovel and snow blower!

Best PNW boat might be a Downeast boat

Spacious cockpit for fishing or entertaining; flybridge for nice days; inside helm for less nice days; great sea keeping ability; heat; nice interior; a good turn of speed when needed; guest quarters; and GREAT looks. They are being sent/shipped West these days.

Attachments

• lust1.jpg
    lust1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 124
  • lust2.jpg
    lust2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: Art
Well, just in case keep some old towels on board as you WILL have leaks from the rain no mater what brand you have.

Not necessarily. In my travels I find very few leakers due to rain. Those with sliding overheads to the fly bridge seem the worst.

Adelaide hit it on the head with;

" It's a much more comfortable vessel with our climate and maximizes the opportunity we have on the water...."

That's it .... Boating in wet weather. That's more significant than anything else I've heard. NICE WARM AND DRY CABINS. Cabins to keep the warmth and dry in and windows big enough to let in what light there is in scuddy weather. Thanks Adelaide.

Windmist says " I think what makes a boat good for the PNW is a decent heating system and anchoring system. Also the ability to get out of the rain and cold while still enjoying the scenery is a must." Another real life "been there done that" observation. Folks that are out on the water for the longest times are fishermen and most all have a big oil stove and their boats are toasty warm.

Last edited:
Nordic Tug if you aren't doing a lot of friend sleep overs. They offer one of the best re-sale values and they represent a true classic NW Vessel.
I agree with this statement although there are numerous makes & models that would be excellent boats in the PNW. I think my own boat would be fun to have up there but given the OP's original question, I'd opt for a late model 42' NT. What a terrific boat! And with some decent speed too!

https://www.google.com/search?q=42+...ordic_tug_42%2Fnb%2Fmoi61079-y2013%2F;557;373

Attachments

• NT 42.jpg
    NT 42.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Adelaide hit it on the head with;

" It's a much more comfortable vessel with our climate and maximizes the opportunity we have on the water...."

That's it .... Boating in wet weather. That's more significant than anything else I've heard. NICE WARM AND DRY CABINS. Cabins to keep the warmth and dry in and windows big enough to let in what light there is in scuddy weather. Thanks Adelaide.

Eric, you only quoted part of Adelaide's post, which takes it out of context.

Here is his entire post you referenced.

Bayliners are sun chasers, Nordic Tugs are season extenders. It's a much more comfortable vessel with our climate and maximizes the opportunity we have on the water.... Not to mention, the Nordic Tug was designed around the classic Tug theme specifically for the NW. Here is a little history of the Nordic Tug:

Are you or anybody else saying that Nordic Tugs are more comfortable in wet weather than Bayliner boats? Because that was what he posted.

Or are you partially quoting him to agree with the concept in general that boats with "nice warm and dry cabins" make good PACNW cruisers.

I did not disagree with the last part of his post, but when taken in context I disagree completely that Nordic tugs are any better than (to be specific regarding his post) Bayliners in wet weather.

Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we can't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post. Its the totality of the message that the poster was trying to get accross that counts.

And if Anybody's wondering I like Nordic Tugs. But, except for the 32' model, I believe they might be out of the OP's price range.

Last edited:
Are you or anybody else saying that Nordic Tugs are more comfortable in wet weather than Bayliner boats? Because that was what he posted.

Eric, when you praise someone for a great post, we cant't just take one sentence and ignore the rest of the post./QUOTE]

Relax, Kevin! Eric didn't throw any stones at Bayliner! He simply agreed with a post that liked NTs!

I happen to think that he and Adelaide are right! Bayliner is a good boat but IMHO, NT is a great boat!

I think I have a good boat too but it's certainly not a great boat. :blush:

Thanks

Wow, this is what I call a forum. I can't believe I got so many great suggestions in one day and I have only been a member for two days. And it looks like I posted in the wrong section.

I have a list of possible boats (naturally) and almost everyone of the boats mentioned were on my list. I especially liked the good anchor and good heat comment as northwest requirements.

To reply to a couple of questions, we actually bought our '37 in Michigan City, Indiana and trucked it out here 10 years ago. On that trip, we had to remove both the radar arch and the flybridge. I have a bid out on trucking it to Tacoma but only if we do not have to remove the flybridge again. Radar arch was OK but the bridge was a complete hassle. The advantage of taking it north is that I know the boat backwards and forward. The disadvantage is I don't have a boat here.

As far as taking the '37 up north on its own bottom, one year I took our GB 42 from San Diego to Princess Louisa in June and back to Newport in September. I would consider north to south along the coast again in a small boat but would never go south to north again in a small boat. Pt. Conception was awful, we ran into a big storm off the Rogue River which knocked out the radar, and the seas were tough all the way. We had a guy with us on the northbound leg who asked to get off in Morro Bay after the Point Conception adventure and I was thinking I should have jumped in the cab with him. Definitely a trip to remember.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom