Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkaustin

As introduction, I'm nearing retirement and my wife and I are looking for the next big adventure. We've been talking for many years about a cruise on the Inside Passage to Alaska, but we're both turned off by the cruise ship lifestyle. Next was looking into using the ferries that ply those waters and that seemed a much better fit. Then, somehow I discovered that I might actually be able to afford buying (and fueling) a used trawler. Now, creating our own cruise of the inside passage looks very inviting and within the realm of the possible. And so many more doors would be open approaching that area in your own boat.

I'm very glad to have found this forum, and many other resources online. We have a few years to get ready and trained, and to plan finances, but the next big adventure is looking possible.

As introduction, I'm nearing retirement and my wife and I are looking for the next big adventure . . . Next was looking into using the ferries that ply those waters and that seemed a much better fit.

Of course I am always happy to see yet another retired couple join us in Trawler World.

But the ferry cruise (Bellingham, WA to Skagway, AK for us) remains one of the better adventures that my wife and I had, and I highly recommend it.

Welcome aboard. Hope to hear more from you as the plans progress.

Welcome aboard !

I'll pass on the best advice I ever received when boat shopping: Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest boat you can live on. Make a "Wants/Needs" list for the boat. Then take a brutal look at each item to decide if you really need it or is it a nice shiny thing. Revisit the list in a week or so and see if you feel the same way about your "needs". And did through the archives here for a wealth of information. Good Luck!!!

Thanks, everybody.

Welcome aboard !

I'll pass on the best advice I ever received when boat shopping: Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest boat you can live on. ... Good Luck!!!

Super. I'm old enough to understand precisely what that means, but it's great to be reminded. It is easy to get drunk on new stuff. Moderation must rule.

Back
Top Bottom