Old 10-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Carvers, Bayliners and their cousins are great for shorter trips and enjoying the dock. If you have a desire to go anywhere beyond SoCal you may want to consider vessels that have long range capability and smaller less maintenance cost engines. Sooner or later range and low gph may become important to you.

Really?

My 4788 Bayliner holds 440 gallons of fuel.

At 9 knots I get a measured 1.5NMPG

At 8 knots I get a measured 1.75NMPG

With a 20% fuel reserve that equates to over 600NM of range at 8 knots, and over 500NM at 9 knots.

There is nowhere in North America that requires more than what, 250NM of range to complete.

If we make the limiting factor accurate weather forecasting, 72 hours is generally accepted as the 100% weather window. At 8 knots thats 576 NM. So, even if you needed the range (which you do not) my boat has the capability to cruise at displacement speed for over the 72 hour accurate forecast window.

There are allot of great things about Full displacement boats, such as generally the ability to travel on days that a SD boat might choose to stay at the dock. This is not so much as a safety issue, as a comfort issue. The simple fact is that most Full Displacement boats will be comfortable in rougher conditions.

On the other hand a faster boat can allow someone leave port and make it to the next port, inside a shorter duration weather window. For example, lets take a typical run up the coast of 100NM. There's a weather front moving in tonight. We both leave the dock at say 08:00 AM. At 8 knots the Full displacement boat will be there at 8:30PM. The Semi displacement boat at 15 knots will be there at 2:45PM, in plenty of time to make safe harbor before dark, and before the weather moves in.

The same concept applies to general travel on the west coast. Its well known that the winds pick up in the afternoon, and the seas can get really snotty, just from "sea breeze" in many locations. Well, with a little speed, you can leave the dock at a reasonable hour, and be tied up having a cocktail while your friend in the Full Displacement boat is braving the big seas.

But, lets remember one thing...

If the OP's goal is coastal cruising, any boat he, and his admrial picks will have the fuel range to go anywhere they want to go. They have to decide what their actual goals are, and pick the best boat for them to meet those goals.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote