A Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tad,
That is the same power I have in my tug at work.
A pair of 3516 Bs but mine drive Z pellers and I only have 2 x 100 HP gen sets.
I have come down in the world but harbour tugging sure has it's benefits.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Benn

This should make our Aussie folks happy. KJ

Australian vintner challenges US for America's Cup

SYDNEY (AFP) – Australian winemaker Bob Oatley and his Hamilton Island Yacht Club will officially contest Oracle Team USA at the next America's Cup, it was announced Tuesday.

"We are delighted to have Hamilton Island Yacht Club and the Oatleys leading Australia back into the America's Cup for the first time since 2000," said America's Cup liaison Tom Ehman in a statement.

Great news. Funny it has not appeared on the Aus news at all. Just typical...too distracted by their beloved Rugby League and Aussie Rules Footy finals at present I guess...

Mate
It's been all over the TV today , interviews with Bob Oatley and his old man.
In the news papers everywhere.
If we can get past the post and then win it imagine the challenge after that being in the Whitsundays, wow fantastic

Cheers
Benn

Peter, The Challenge was announced today in Australia.
Bob Oatley was reported as looking forward to a contest on Sydney Harbour. He`ll need to win it in USA before that happens.
It`s a long while since the AC contest was held in "Freo" (Fremantle) Western Australia near Perth. Sydney Harbour would be a great place for it, but that`s looking a long way ahead.

I think you Aussies better slow down on picking venues, that cup will be safely in our possession for some time to come. :)

And it's highly possible, that, after they recover from the shock, the Kiwis might just have something to say about where else it might go as well, don't you thunk..?

It`s all just "wishing and hoping", until someone wrests the Cup out of the vice like grip of the Americans no one gets to choose.
What year is the next battle? What contests it? Quadmarans? Where`s healhustler when we need him?

A letter in a Sydney newspaper suggests Oracle save a heap on crew airfares by staging the next series in Australia, most of their crew are already in Australia.
If I could make sense of markpierce`s post 23 I`d respond. I can`t.

Last edited:
My son tells me the UK press is abuzz with the fact Oracles sudden significant speed increase, (apart from a Brit being the replacement tactician, that is), was due to the fact during that postponement they called after 3 straight losses, they fitted a gyroscopic stabiliser, which helped it keep up on the foils much better, especially upwind. Apparently it is not in the rules as allowable, but because never foreseen, (rather like when big bad Dennis defended with a cat against a monohull), it was not specifically excluded either, so technically they had to allow it. I guess it went in that rather bloated pod thing that hung below the mast base. The TNZ boat would have had nowhere to put one, or they could have done the same I guess.

Gotta give 'em full marks for innovation if it was indeed a hand powered gyro. How cool is that?!

...the UK press is abuzz with the fact Oracles sudden significant speed increase, (apart from a Brit being the replacement tactician, that is), was due to the fact during that postponement they called after 3 straight losses, they fitted a gyroscopic stabiliser, which helped it keep up on the foils much better, especially upwind.

Complete bullsh*t, of course.

There was no SAS - AC Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Last edited:
AC 2013 has birthed a whole new crop of conspiracy theorists! Gotta love it!! But I must admit, Oracle's complicity in the AC45s cast a poor light on the whole operation and cause for reasonable suspicion of their actions.

I posted on another thread here that Naval Architect Paul Bieker with Oracle has given an interview describing some of the foil adjustments that helped them achieve the performance that allowed them to retain the Cup. I have the mp3 file but it's not a forum-compatible format. I can email it if we can't figure a way to post it here on TF. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Let’s try this;

Our highest compliments to Emirates Team New Zealand for putting up such a terrific fight. Great sailing guys.

Congratulations to Oracle Team USA for successfully defending the Cup. Fantastic sailing guys.

It was an exciting, thrilling race. I’m glad I was there for it.

How about if we leave it at that? KJ

Thanks KJ we will accept that. :D

Works for me...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom