Porthole window seals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Carl

I recently bought a Marine Trader 36' Europa. All the porthole type windows are leaking. The seals are shot. They are rubber and about 3/8" square. They go all around the glass portion of the window frame. Does anyone know where I can find replacement seals? I need about 18' of it.

FF recommends using shaft packing in the right size...lasts forever and doesn't stick...thinking of trying it myself...

Haven't done it yet...but looking at it in the next few weeks.

If that doesn't suit your fancy...I was also thinking surgical tubing crammed in more like a giant "O" ring...

Sorry about not having an answer for OEM seals...just most people say they are almost impossible to get so thus the alternatives.

I recently bought a Marine Trader 36' Europa. All the porthole type windows are leaking. The seals are shot. They are rubber and about 3/8" square. They go all around the glass portion of the window frame. Does anyone know where I can find replacement seals? I need about 18' of it.

Congrats! We loved our MT36. I replaced all the ports with larger fixed ports.

Attachments

• 10-6-2010 002.jpg
    10-6-2010 002.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 10-6-2010 003.jpg
    10-6-2010 003.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 92
  • mt 003.jpg
    mt 003.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Italy 052.jpg
    Italy 052.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 105
  • MT36 013.jpg
    MT36 013.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 99

Carl, while I'm not in the US, when I bought my CHB 34, all the port seals, much the same as yours, were cactus, and leaking. I was able to buy square sectioned rubber replacement in long lengths which once I grouted out the old seals fitted perfectly, and I just used a bit of contact adhesive to re-seat the new seals and they are still perfect 12 yrs on...

1/4" wetsuit material worked on mine, done many years ago and still functional.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom