Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Oh dear, where to stop ...

"Because the turbo gets hot, it also heats up the air on the intake side ..."

Air gets hot because it is compressed.

"The turbo will increase the air flow proportional to engine speed."

Turbochargers increase output proportional to engine load, not speed.

"A diesel has no spark plugs. The fuel is ignited by compressing it until it explodes under extreme pressure ..."

Fuel is ignited by the heat from the compressed charge air. It does not "explode." If diesel fuelexploded because it was compressed, we would all have chunks of injector pumps all over the engine room.

"You can probably appreciate that if the cylinder is not cooled down before the next compression cycle, the temperature inside the cylinder is going to be rather hot. Thus, when the piston comes up and starts compressing the atomized fuel, it is going to exploded SOONER because the cylinder air temperature is higher. It's a matter of timing. This is bad news because the detonation is going to occur a few nanoseconds before the piston reaches top dead center. This throws the engine timing off and can result in acute loss of power and other serious problems. Like connecting rods through the block."

Atomized fuel is not compressed, it doesn't explode and as far as "timing" is concerned, the less delay in combustion after start of injection the better. The man simply has no idea of how a diesel engine works.

"The bottom line is that the 6V92 and the two cycle engines are substantially more efficient engines ..."

Yeah ... I almost hate to dignify that one with a response.

"Even though the turbo creates extra drag itself, it also allows each cylinder to get a large shot of fuel."

I would love to know how an exhaust driven turbocharger "creates extra drag" on an engine. It converts the work available in what would otherwise be lost as waste heat into increased mass flow of charge air.

"Horse power and torque are two different measures of power. Torque is a measure of the kinetic energy that builds up in a rotating engine."

Torque is a moment of force. It is not power, it is not a measure of power. An electric motor or a reciprocating steam engine for example will produce their highest torque at zero rpm and produce zero power.

"Torque is not a constant, but varies over the power curve, as shown in the graphs for a diesel engine below."

The graphs he provides are engine and propeller power curves and fuel consumption curves. They are not torque curves. He seems not to understand the difference ...

I could go on and on but it really isn't worth the bandwidth or my time.
Rick, That was a good response.

Thanks for posting!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote