View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
koliver
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Diesel Engines - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly?

Wow, am I chastened!
Here I have always had a great respect for the original owner's choice to UPgrade from the builder's standard offering of Lehmans to Volvos, and with some 6500+ hours on the boat, full maint records, I know how much has been spent maintaining the engines.
in 30 years and all those hours, visits to the Volvo store have been few and far between. Sure the parts are costly, but I suspect not more so than for any other engine.
Such items that have gone in on this boat are: raw water pumps, starter, high pressure lines, rubber bits, and oh that's all, so if parts are expensive, there are so few times they are needed, that expense can be tolerated.
Yes, I did re-power, but not because there was any desperate need to do so. I sold the old engines for almost as much as I paid for the new ones, so that also shows others were prepared to buy, and pay a good price for pair of used up "deal breaker" engines.
At the risk of repetition, its not the brand so much as the age and condition that are important.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote