View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #16
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
RE: Diesel Engines - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly?

Sometimes it's luck, but sometimes it's trust. Don't discount one or the other based on a few posts on a web forum. Do the research and ask professionals in the field. No matter what people say their credentials are, they are still subject to distant objectivity. Ask for the names of the mechanics in the area that have worked on the boat in question or ask a nearby parts store how readily available parts are. I see a lot of ads for marine diesel services and most, if not all, say they service Volvo. It's a popular brand. There's probably a reason for that.

One more note on trust. While the idea and principal of not using a surveyor that is recommended by the broker seems logical, there can be limited options in some markets. In Eastern NC, there aren't a lot of choices. So in my case, since I had a very good relationship with the broker, I trusted him to steer me the right way. He did. The broker has a good reason to not screw you. You will want to come back again when your needs or wants change. That comes back to the smaller market of this area. Competition is high for the limited number of sales made compared to other areas of the country. I am now friends with our broker, will recommend him highly to any buyers I meet and surely use him again when the time comes.

So if you trust your broker, there is no reason to not take his/her advice in some areas of the sale. That's all I'm sayin'.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote