Heating a heritage east 40 cheeply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all I'm sure the question has been asked already but I can't find the answer. I have a heritage east 40 and I'm connected to shore power but if I use my electric oil filed radiator it seems to use a lot of electric 60 kw in 5 days and in ghat time I have only had the heating on for a few hours at a time to take the chill off
Without the heating on I have used 30 kw in 2 months

Is there a cheep way of heating a boat that won't use quite so much electric any help will be good

Best way is to move it South.

All electric resistance heat is essentially 100% efficient; that is, every watt of power you consume goes to heat the space around the heater. Oil-filled, radiant, quartz, Amish wooden fireplace, doesn't matter. And since most household outlets are limited to 15 Amps, they typically all consume 1,500 Watts on "high".

But you didn't ask about efficiency, you asked for a cheap way. Electricity in most places is not very cheap.

An electric heat pump, like a typical marine reverse-cycle air conditioner, is more than 100% efficient. Instead of turning the electricity directly into heat, it uses the electricity to "pump" the heat from seawater.

Cheaper still (to run) is a direct diesel heater. That's basically a miniature home oil-fired furnace (diesel and heating oil are just about the same thing.)

So what's cheaper? You can buy a 1,500 Watt electric heater for $20 at Wal Mart. You can spend thousands on a reverse-cycle AC unit, but you also get the AC. You can spend almost as much on a diesel furnace and get the most heat for the least fuel. You have to decide what works for you, your boat and your climate.

moonraker, I take it that you have to pay separately for power in the uk?? It is included in our marina fees so we don't hesitate putting the electric heater on. If we were being charged I might look at alternatives, diesel, propane are likely the cheapest alternatives.

moonraker, I take it that you have to pay separately for power in the uk?? It is included in our marina fees so we don't hesitate putting the electric heater on. If we were being charged I might look at alternatives, diesel, propane are likely the cheapest alternatives.

Perhaps not a UK vs. Canada (or US, or elsewhere) thing. Electricity around here is often included in the slip fees, but not always. And of course slipholders are indeed being charged for it, but it's being assessed at an average rate -- probably in such a way that the marina owners aren't losing money on the deal.

Our own electricity at the slip is separately metered.

-Chris

Insulated curtains on the windows, canvas on the exterior of the windows....electric blanket on the bed. We also find that our oil lamps put off a nice bit of heat.

Keep the warm air from escaping as much as possible, but keeping fresh air circulating.

Oh, and big fuzzy slippers. :thumb:

If you wish you stay with electric only the modern mini split systems offer 400% to 500% more heat per KW.

These are common all over Euro land and work in substantial cold Norway .

Mitsubishi Comfort - Ductless Comfort Solutions‎

www.mitsubishicomfort.com/‎

At least for the price you also get an efficient air cond that wont get you out of the sack clearing jelly fish from its water cooling system.

Any other cheap heat will burn common house oil or diesel, require a substantial install bill , a high first cost , and of course annual maint.

Dickinson makes an oil fired range that requires zero electric , but it heats only the cabin space its located in.

WE cruise in the shoulder seasons so use the Dickinson as we anchor out in every place we can.

Last edited:
The cheapest would be a solid fuel burning fireplace...usually the fire box isn't all that expensive (and probably certified for marine use if that's an issue...space heaters usually aren't)...and fuel often can be free.

If you don't have access to free fuel then what is the cheapest fuel around?

Last edited:
You could set the boat on fire. That would be the cheapest way. ;-)

Excellent advice, a plan I intend to try next year.

Remember even if you head south in Sept you may need heat .

Leave in Oct or Nov and you will be sure to enjoy a complete heating system.

Excellent advice, a plan I intend to try next year.

Remember even if you head south in Sept you may need heat .

Leave in Oct or Nov and you will be sure to enjoy a complete heating system.

I want to go south to Alabama or Mississippi, far enough to get out of the midwest winters but not into salt water & I may change my mind about that. I've even thought Memphis might be far enough south to suit me.

I want to go south to Alabama or Mississippi, far enough to get out of the midwest winters but not into salt water & I may change my mind about that. I've even thought Memphis might be far enough south to suit me.

Ron, Pickwidk Lake on the Tennessee may be just the ticket for you. Great area, good water, near the Mississippi border. Memphis?? Naw!!! Not when you can get to a great place like Pickwick. Plenty of places to cruise and anchor too.

Thankyou all yes I have to pay for electric in the uk it's not included in the price. With a oil radiator at the moment I will use 50kw every 4 days which in the uk works out to be around 7 pounds. I do have the air condition unit fitted to boat but it's been disconnected and as of yet I can't find where is been disconnected. I will need to get a transformer for it as we are 240v and the unit is 120v but that's not a problem just need to find where they have disconnected it.

I do have the air condition unit fitted to boat but it's been disconnected and as of yet I can't find where is been disconnected. I will need to get a transformer for it as we are 240v and the unit is 120v but that's not a problem just need to find where they have disconnected it.

Not all air cond are reverse cycle , and suitable for heating. The older units are not much more efficient at heat than a resistance electric wire.

The mini split system is 50 years of engineering advanced from most boat setups like Crusaire.

If you need to purchase a 240V unit would allow one compressor and 3 or 4 internal delivery units.

Back
Top Bottom