34 tri cabin wood rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yoeman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mojo
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34 tricabin
Can another Tolly owner tell me the best way to repair the wood rot around the salon door
My doors are aluminum so Im guessing that's an upgrade but the wood over the top and sides are rotten
I'm also looking to find the the correct process to refinish the teak look deck
Any ideas would be great
Thanks

What year is the Tolly ?

Is the rot under glass ? and under the aluminum door frame ?

Is the teak looking deck Notelex < spl > a fabric type covering ?

Guessing here.

Pics ? Is the boat in white rock ?

Don't you hate questions as answers.

Sorry about that.

I have an owner's manual covering the teak deck and how to renew the look Tolly was going for. If you post an email address or send me a pm I'd be happy to scan and forward your direction. More than welcome to email me at bshillam@hotmail.com

Rot

What year is the Tolly ?

Is the rot under glass ? and under the aluminum door frame ?

Is the teak looking deck Notelex < spl > a fabric type covering ?

Guessing here.

Pics ? Is the boat in white rock ?

Don't you hate questions as answers.

Sorry about that.

The rot is under the upper door behind the bridge glass and in the front if the door frame.
The door on the starboard side seems very solid yet the port has some wood laminate pulling away
My guess is I can remove the lower track screws to pull the doors out
1975 34 tricabin in blaine

I am not going to be much help , sorry bout that.

I find the construction technique is usually easy to deal with by taking items apart carefully. Then fix repair using the old as a pattern etc. You may need to cut and bond in new material for some items as needed. Good chance you will also find the issue will be more than expected. Just don't take on too much at one time IMO. Just repair , replace , bond in over some time keeping water out as you go along.

For bonding I love epoxy and SS for fasteners above water line if kept dry.

Again sorry , not much help.

Can another Tolly owner tell me the best way to repair the wood rot around the salon door
My doors are aluminum so Im guessing that's an upgrade but the wood over the top and sides are rotten
I'm also looking to find the the correct process to refinish the teak look deck
Any ideas would be great
Thanks

Hi yoeman

I recommend you sign into Tollycraft Forum and place your questions into a thread that you start (Tolly guru's will post answers and lead you to thread links). http://www.tollyclub.com/forums/forum.php

As well, go into Tolly forum’s "search" feature with words such as "rot", "bridge wood" "door rot" "slider door"... and the like. Also, ask about deck restoration, deck painting, gel coat... and the like!

There are oodles of posts regarding what you seek to learn; photos too!!

Happy Tolly Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
I too strongly suggest you look up the Tollycraft forums. Most likely someone will have had to deal with something similar. It is an active group.

No i don;t have one, I just know a bunch of people with them.

yoeman - Unfortunatly for you... Tollycraft forum is undergoing improvements right now and it seems currently not open to traffic. Keep da faith! I will reopen and is worth joining to get many answers about your Tolly! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom