Best marinas to take trawler south

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sully2010

Good morning. It's I'd my first posting so hope it is done correctly. We are located on Middle River Md and travel the northern Chesapeake. We have owned Sully, our Camano trawler since 2010. We have always pulled her for the winter but now with my wife retired,mew are thinking of going south where it would not have to be weatherized. Looking for suggestions on marinas which are reasonable ! Any help greatly appreciated .

Good morning. It's I'd my first posting so hope it is done correctly. We are located on Middle River Md and travel the northern Chesapeake. We have owned Sully, our Camano trawler since 2010. We have always pulled her for the winter but now with my wife retired,mew are thinking of going south where it would not have to be weatherized. Looking for suggestions on marinas which are reasonable ! Any help greatly appreciated .

Welcome aboard. Guess suggestions on marinas would kind of depend on just how far south you plan to go before stopping. :) Gets pretty cold at times if you are liveaboards, even as far south as Georgia. The Florida Keys are generally warm all through the year, but the cost of a marina down there is quite high. I've always liked the Jacksonville, Florida area, which doesn't get too awfully cold and is more reasonable.

John

How far south can you go? If you can make it to Key West you may want to consider the Key West city mooring field. Much less expensive than a marina. Their monthly rate is $318 which includes the mooring, free pump-out (each week), free dinghy docking and car parking, shoreside showers, and laundry facilities. I stayed the winter there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. May be heading back this winter in fact. Good luck!

East central Florida. Near the space center. Does not get cold, some chilly, not cold. Reasonable rates , further south and your rates clime dramatically. Suggestion is for Harbor town marina on Merritt Island. Clean, full service facility, protected and well maintained facility. Easy access to ocean or ICW.

John

Can't say if "best" but en route Zahnizer's in Solomons Island is top notch, as is Tidewater in Norfolk.

-Chris

too much to type...call if you want call...609-780-2728....last year did the slow crawl as far south as Jekyll Island, Ga and back to NJ. Averaged about 35-40 miles a day...studied Active Captain like my life depended on it. There are some great inexpensive places and even free docks with free water and electric.

was a delivery capt for years so I know the 4 stars as well as the freebies...

too much to type...call if you want call...609-780-2728....last year did the slow crawl as far south as Jekyll Island, Ga and back to NJ. Averaged about 35-40 miles a day...studied Active Captain like my life depended on it. There are some great inexpensive places and even free docks with free water and electric.

Thanks so much. This is new for s so any help is greatly appreciated ( mrs sully).

Sully, if you are just worried about having to pull the boat for freeze protection, I think you might get a lot of advice from others in the Chesapeake that leave their boats in the water thru the entire winter. If you're interested in living on the boat and heading to warmer climes, anyplace from the Carolinas to Key West will do.

You have the opportunity for a great adventure. Come on down!

As others have said it depends on you. I left Deltaville on Dec 28th last year and wintered in Marathon $450 per month everything included. That said I have left the boat in the water in Deltaville several winter's and not winterized other then blowing the water out of the deck wash downs. Anywhere in NC in particular Southport south is well below the need to winterize. Southport due to it's close proximity to the Gulfstream is as warm as northern Florida.

We're doing the same trip but basically planless except for leaving Deltaville early in December and hauling out at Stuart in April.

Dave

As others have said it depends on you. I left Deltaville on Dec 28th last year and wintered in Marathon $450 per month everything included. That said I have left the boat in the water in Deltaville several winter's and not winterized other then blowing the water out of the deck wash downs. Anywhere in NC in particular Southport south is well below the need to winterize. Southport due to it's close proximity to the Gulfstream is as warm as northern Florida.

Where in Marathon did younstay

How far South? A few of us can advise you on NC...:popcorn:

thanks. I will too.:D
richard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom