Interesting Boat with Outrigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Sky
Vessel Make
Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Saw this in the Octopus Islands this summer. A bit different, but probably very efficient. 20 HP Yamaha on the back.

Attachments

• DSC_8396.jpg
    DSC_8396.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 141
Even more efficient:

232323232%7Ffp54432%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D393%3A53%3A%3B4%3B336nu0mrj

(Petaluma turning basin)

Mark I've paddled one of those.

If you twist your hip you can pop that outrigger up of the water and it plunks back down again. That one is set up for a left handed person. Ama on that side. Yes very efficient and fast for a paddled craft. I don't remember if I tried to paddle it from the other side or not.

Conrad,
How wide is that boat .. just the main hull? Looks like there may be 3 people in it.

Conrad,
How wide is that boat .. just the main hull? Looks like there may be 3 people in it.

Not sure Eric, but this photo gives some idea.

Attachments

• DSC_8401.jpg
    DSC_8401.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 124
2907-albums85-picture704t.jpg

A General Description of Motor Yacht ASEAN LADY

This motor yacht ASEAN LADY is a 88 m 289 (foot) important steel luxury yacht which was crafted by Raffles Yachts and her design is by Ian Mitchell. Sleeping 22 guests and 18 crew members, motor yacht ASEAN LADY was formerly named (Proa 2000). This gracious motor yacht has been created by a naval architect called Ian Mitchell. Annie Chang was successful with the designing of the interior.
Apart from her size, ASEAN LADY is also unique for her shape with a design based on a Proa, - a bamboo outrigger canoe known for their stability and long range used for centuries in the South Pacific. The design solved many problems for luxury yacht such as space, noise, stability at anchor, stability while cruising and large windows. ASEAN LADY was originally called the Proa 2000 and is powered by a single 2000hp engine with a Counter Rotating Propeller (CRP) Azimuth Drive. She has a speed of 15 knots and the yacht is also equipped with a 600hp Retractable Thruster that is also capable of propelling at a speed of 7 knots. The Proa 2000 could literally walk sideways with both the forward and aft drives making berthing a breeze. Her stability was put to the test in December 2004 when she survived the Tsunami while anchored off Phuket. ASEAN LADY was named the most innovative motor yacht by Showboats International in 2005.

The Construction & Design with respect to Luxury Yacht ASEAN LADY

Ian Mitchell was the naval architecture company involved in the technical nautical design work for ASEAN LADY. Her interior design was conceived by Annie Chang. Ian Mitchell is also associated with the yacht wider design collaboration for this boat. China is the country that Raffles Yachts completed their new build motor yacht in. After official launch in 2004 in Yantai she was delivered on to the proud new owner having completed sea trials and testing. The hull was built out of steel. The motor yacht superstructure component is fabricated predominantly using steel. With a beam of 21.2 metres or 69.55 ft ASEAN LADY has very beamy internal space. A fairly deep draught of 3.5m (11.48ft) affects the amount of certain harbours she can enter into, depending on their specific depth at low tide.

M/Y ASEAN LADY Engineering Figures & Propulsion:

Her propulsion units are twin screw propellers. She also has an economical range of 10000 miles when underway at her cruising speed of 12 knots. Her total HP is 2000 HP and her total Kilowatts are 1492.

Accommodation Offered On Superyacht ASEAN LADY:

The huge luxury yacht motor yacht ASEAN LADY can sleep as many as 22 passengers and 18 crew.

Last edited:
Conrad,
Thanks, it looks 4 or 5' wide. I have a special interest in long narrow outboards. Ther'e very rare of course .. unless you're way south and then they call them Panga's. Personally I don't think it's necessary to have an ama that long. Looks like it may be slow turning and possibly a little wet (or a lot when it gets rough) but it appears a very serviceable boat. And is a good display of how easily driven long and narrow boats are but anybody that's paddled a canoe knows that. Here's my powered canoe. 12 knots at least w that engine at about 50%.

Octopus Is? Like the no end of Quadra Is? Looked for a house there a while back. Was real fond of Hariet Bay. Is the old hotel still there?
That was before we went to Alaska. We kept looking until we were in Alaska.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 008 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 008 copy 2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Here's my powered canoe. 12 knots at least w that engine at about 50%.
I love canoes! As a lad, I took a several day course on how to handle a canoe. The event was held on the Allegheny River in Pennsylvania. We learned where to sit (whether one person or two) how to get the water out after tipping over, how to get back in after tipping over, how to portage the boat, how to paddle without switching sides all the time (my favorite) and most of all, how to properly load a canoe.

I have had my best boating experiences :rolleyes: in a canoe.

Attachments

• Canoe.jpg
    Canoe.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 77
Octopus Is? Like the no end of Quadra Is? Looked for a house there a while back. Was real fond of Hariet Bay. Is the old hotel still there?
That was before we went to Alaska. We kept looking until we were in Alaska.

Eric, yes the Octopus Island Marine Park is at the northeast end of Quadra. A beautiful anchorage and definitely worth the tidal pass planning that is required to get to it. (Actually the planning part is half the fun of getting there.)

So you were house hunting from somewhere to the Octopus Islands to Thorne Bay? Sounds like a good story is in there....

And yes the Heriot Bay Inn is still going strong.

Welcome to the Heriot Bay Inn on Quadra Island | Quadra Island, BC | Heriot Bay Inn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom