Find My Boat - $5,000 REWARD!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your requirements for number of cabins is one of the major problems -- most folks with the money to buy 60 foot boats are retired and not worried about long-term rugrat infestations. Hence they are more worried about big VIP guest suites than packing kids in bunks.

There is however one boat that I know of that will meet your needs. I have been aboard this boat and it's waaayyyy beyond creampuff. Originally built for Harry See, of See's Candy (and as an interesting aside, he sold the the wooden Garden in Portland to replace it with this boat). However the reason I know the design so well is because this is an exact sistership to Island Eagle. The layout for a family just does not get any better. Three roomy double cabins forward, one massive master aft. Full height, walk-around engineroom with exterior access. The one for sale has a captain's cabin in the pilothouse, which IE does not have. Saloon that seats 10 comfortably.

Price is a bit high, but I'm guessing there is some room for negotiations.

1967 Sutton/DeFever Steel Hull, LRC, PilotHouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Amazing boat as a young boy we would ride our bikes to the boat yard and watch the Greeks work

Sutton produced some amazing working boats back in those days

images

Benford ???

Don't know if any are for sale.

Benford Design Group

I was thinking the same thing Salty, particularly as I am just now reviewing his 'Small Ships' book I bought from him at a meeting we had about a month ago.

I had known of these 'Florida Bay Coasters' for a number of years, but being a sailboater they had never held an interest for me.

Are there any owners of the vessels that participate on this forum?

Interesting, simple bottom form/shape/construction.

I've seen a couple Coasters, at least one nearby and one underway... looked tippy here in the Chesapeake, although that's just the impression I get (i.e., without benefit of fact).

Access to stern lines is through the lower cabin, presumably followed by hand and arm (or radio) signals to/from the bridge deck.

-Chris

When Florida Bay Coaster "Irony" was for sale a few months ago, I struggled with that one. The interior was extremely homey and comfortable (through photos), but I was concerned about the seaworthiness. I have considered the Radiant Star? in Cali, but if I bought it, I would know that in 2-3 years I would probably be ready to sell.

If I could get "Red Head" and carry my truck aboard, now that would be hard to resist :D

Greetings,
Jay Bedford posted on this site a while back but he was mean-mouthed so badly, he left and never returned. (to the best of my recollection)

Greetings,
Jay Bedford posted on this site a while back but he was mean-mouthed so badly, he left and never returned. (to the best of my recollection)

Jay Benford as well? I know Chuck Neville was treated so poorly that he quickly moved on.

I moor my boat next to Idlewise. She is a fantastic boat and you simply will not find a boat in better condition overall than her. Her owner looks after her extremely well and she is 100% ready to go to sea for any trip.

However, i think you will have major issues taking her or any other Aus boat to the USA. Apart from astronomical ($100K plus) costs to ship her, the electrical wiring would not be correct for USA 110 volts. We have 240 volts here and as such the gauge of wiring only needs to carry the smaller amps with that voltage. In USA, your wiring is far more substantial than ours due to this fact. I bouat a USA boat and it is not an issue coming from USA to Aus as the wiring is now oversized for our lesser amps flowing through it.

As well, Idlewise is a massive boat 70 + tons and everything is big on boats this size. I certainly would not be wanting to take her on as a first boat, but i have followed the threads so far across various forums and this is obviously not a concern for you, so that must be fine.

Otherwise, Idlewise actually has a massive flybridge house with big captain's berth and table, head etc. So plenty of room. The engine room actually has 7 ft of headroom. She is a huge boat.

SOme of the Cheoy Lee boats for sale in Aus, actually were sailed out from USA. Would be strange to sail them back again...lots of money wasted in shipping over the life of the boat.

Good luck with your search, i certainly would not look here in Aus though...

I moor my boat next to Idlewise. She is a fantastic boat and you simply will not find a boat in better condition overall than her. Her owner looks after her extremely well and she is 100% ready to go to sea for any trip.

However, i think you will have major issues taking her or any other Aus boat to the USA. Apart from astronomical ($100K plus) costs to ship her, the electrical wiring would not be correct for USA 110 volts. We have 240 volts here and as such the gauge of wiring only needs to carry the smaller amps with that voltage. In USA, your wiring is far more substantial than ours due to this fact. I bouat a USA boat and it is not an issue coming from USA to Aus as the wiring is now oversized for our lesser amps flowing through it.

As well, Idlewise is a massive boat 70 + tons and everything is big on boats this size. I certainly would not be wanting to take her on as a first boat, but i have followed the threads so far across various forums and this is obviously not a concern for you, so that must be fine.

Otherwise, Idlewise actually has a massive flybridge house with big captain's berth and table, head etc. So plenty of room. The engine room actually has 7 ft of headroom. She is a huge boat.

SOme of the Cheoy Lee boats for sale in Aus, actually were sailed out from USA. Would be strange to sail them back again...lots of money wasted in shipping over the life of the boat.

She does look like a very nice boat, right up my alley. Your right, shipping costs are very high and the electric would also be a problem. Thanks for chiming in :)

I wouldn't write off a boat just because it is wired for 240 volts. It could be simply converted by using a 240V to 110V step down transformer at the main panel. I don't know what the maximum power usage would be for the boat, but a 50,000 watt transformer would cost about $1000; small change in the big picture.
Buying replacement 240 volt appliances may be a nuisance in the US, although it may be worth running a second 110 volt circuit to the kitchen area for use with local appliances. Most small electrical goods like phone chargers, laptops, etc run on either voltage.
Well worth it if the boat is the right one.

Boat transport costs- well thats another story. It will be expensive.
GG - Have you considered relocating.

Hey, GG, have you considered one of these. I was more impressed when I inspected this model at a recent boat show than any other type.
They have proven ocean-going capability, and 3 large cabins, and 2 heads. Great living areas. Beautifully finished and fitted out.
Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

Hey, GG, have you considered one of these. I was more impressed when I inspected this model at a recent boat show than any other type.
They have proven ocean-going capability, and 3 large cabins, and 2 heads. Great living areas. Beautifully finished and fitted out.
Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

Pete, those Selene's are awesome! Only killer for me is the 3 stateroom layout. Also, the price is a bit high for my budget :blush: They are very nice. Thanks for pointing it out :)

103 entries on a BS request. IMHO
At least the initiator stimulated a lot of unproductive discussion..

Looks to me like she got some more eyes and more suggestions for boats to look at. You can't use one set of eyes as good as multiple sets.

103 entries on a BS request. IMHO.
I don't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger, Dave, so I'll agree! I'm sure that others agree also but PC being what it is, don't have the guts to admit it. :blush:

I don't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger, Dave, so I'll agree! I'm sure that others agree also but PC being what it is, don't have the guts to admit it. :blush:

I will. Between the two sites, this has become ridiculous.

Total BS.

I always tell my agents to flip them over to see what they really are..

You decide from here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fryedaze
103 entries on a BS request. IMHO.

Careful guys...we don't want to have to eat too many words when up go the pics of the boat they have actually bought, now do we..?
Just sayin'...

Careful guys...we don't want to have to eat too many words when up go the pics of the boat they have actually bought, now do we..?Just sayin'...
I take it that you think there might be some crow to eat in the future? Well, should that day ever arrive, I like mine southern fried. The smart money says it won't happen. :blush:

I think this thread could become a reality show. I also think it's BS but hope it's not.

This appears to be what you are looking for a hotel on the water! 1991 Cheoy Lee LRC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com Please let me know what you think!

God I love those big Cheoy Lees. They just look so small shippy, and just seem to yell out, "head me for the ocean baby, I'm ready..".
Actually, GG, I doubt you get would any (affordable) boat that fits your overall brief, taking into account of family size, and where you want to ultimately go, better than one of these...a good one, mind...like this one. Ok, some of the fit-out might be a bit fancy, but hey, if it's included in the price, what the heck...and a wee bit of luxury never hurts, especially on a long passage.

Last edited:
Nice looking boat. Cats, stabilizers, all the staterooms in the free world, what's not to like?

Except maybe for that transit from AK to MA. OTOH, that'd make a pretty good first adventure :)

-Chris

next summer...with the way the Arctic is melting...the Northwest passage should be open again...:thumb:

GG made an offer on a boat that was declined. However it was more of a motor yatch than a long distant trawler. Now that her home is sold there is some pressure to find buy a boat. There are several on the east coast that might work for her. One other boat see went to look at had an offer and was sold. So she is activly looking. I think she will buy a boat.

Me too... I am in the "we are being scammed" camp. And even if we aren't, this is long past absurd. Whoever this is has also ruined the Powerboat forum over at Cruiser Forum for Bess and me too, with 6 of the top 10 threads in the wrong sub-forums. Look GG, you have all the info you could possibly need by now. It's time for you to stop trying to find the PERFECT boat and go buy one of the hundreds of leads you have for boats that clearly meet your criteria. I would imagine that you have seen every possible option on Yachtworld by now. You will never find "perfect" which is what the community has been telling you for over a year now.

Quote from Cruiser Forum:

I've actually seen every single boat on Yachtworld. I've also seen most of the Venture Yacht boats.

The only one I like is the Sea Ranger in San Diego. I've been trying to get my Mom on board with this boat for months. She feels it is too big at 75'. I think we could get away with it, but not sure. Love the raised pilothouse and 5 states is perfect. Plus, seems they have repaired the stabilizers which is great.
If this is true... go buy the Sea Ranger because apparently, the boat you seek is not for sale, so time to sit back for a while and wait for "perfect" to come on the market.

Last edited:
Ruined a Forum ?

I don't understand how this subject tread has 'ruined' this or any other forum.??

Whether she buys a boat or not doesn't take away from the fact that these subject threads(s) have brought to the fore a lot of interesting boats that might never have been mentioned on a boating forum,....and this is a boating forum, isn't it??

Plus she has actively participated right along with the subject, and in many cases offered some reasonable objections to certain suggested vessels even within her limited knowledge of boats (first time buyer).

So if you are tired of reading about her 'adventure' and some of the MANY different suggestions that other contributors are likely having fun contributing (living her dream), then go off and read other threads and bring them back to life (up into the top ten).

There is a lot of good info in many of those older subject threads that deserves a refreshing.

...my 2 cents

Don't like, don't click. Simple, really.

Some forums have an ignore thread button, for those without the self composure to not look at what annoys them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom