Just discovered Trawlers. Where do I begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Motalot

I have 23 welcraft aft cabin. Just cruised from celina tn to Nashville. Chartered the trip on my own and fell in love with cruising

My main boating is on beautiful lake Cumberland. Motor died recently which made me begin shopping boats while being repaired

My thoughts is I want the boat to sleep four adults, pilot house,fuel efficiency, and easily maintenance type boat. I owned a wooden Chris craft years ago and do not like the issues I had with wooden maintenance

I ask you what do I need to learn about and what type of Trawles do you suggest I look into?

Thank you

Tomrussell&southernwater.biz

On a lake in KY I'd think you would find a lot more houseboat-type boats that would meet your needs, probably better than a trawler, and a lot more to choose from.

Key question. Sleeping 4 adults. Do you want two staterooms, and if so must they both be good size. Certain boats have one stateroom and either salon or pilot house space for another couple. Also certain boats have a master stateroom which is reasonable size and crew quarters, almost bunk bed style with the size of the second stateroom being perhaps, 6 ft. by 6 ft.

Marty

If you are staying on the rivers and intracoastal waterway...a house boat is a much better solution. More inexpensive per what you get sizewise upfront and heaper/easier to maintain.

May not look as cool as some trawlers as some might like...but cool boats are the ones that get used and loved...not just looked at.

Then there's the Bluewater yachts that are a cross between the two as well as the Bayliner Motoryachts that can be economical yet fast and well appointer...plus will give you coastal cruising options in bigger wter than a houseboat.

If you never plan on leaving the US shores and just touring the East and Gulf coasts..a Trawler is really a little overkill for what you need.

Ultimately if you plan to travel far and do things like the whole coast such as a great loop...then yes a trawler would fit the bill....for 4 people and elbow room...you better start in the 34-37 range and even a 40 is tight for more than a few days of 4 adults unless very close in getting along.

Attachments

• House Boat.jpg
    House Boat.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 83
Houseboats are too large for long range cruising and are not as fuel efficient. I plan on cruising long distance and fuel economy is a concern

what di you call "long range"?

how many miles a year and where do you expect to cruise?

with some knowledge of your cruising desires we might be able to help more precisely.

We recently cruised from Celina tn to Nashville and returned. Every weekend we like to cruise 100 miles average. Planning on trip to the gulf and back. Maybe cruise one to two weeks at a tie until retirement

Greetings,
Mr. Motalot. If you're talking "weekend" being Friday evening to Sunday evening...In a trawler 100 miles @ 7 knots is 7 hrs. Saturday and the same Sunday (Friday you won't get very far). Sooo.....Run to your destination, party, sleep and head back the next day. IMHO, that can get stale pretty quickly particularly if you get a late start on Saturday and arrive at dark in the evening. On the other hand, the same trip in your 23' Welcraft can be accomplished @ 20 knots in 1/3 the time (~5hrs.). Yes, I know, it's the journey not the destination but.....Maybe a motor yacht instead of a trawler as has been suggested?

Houseboats are too large for long range cruising and are not as fuel efficient. I plan on cruising long distance and fuel economy is a concern

SPEED is the main key for fuel burn .

At displacement speeds the sq rt of the LWL is the cheap spot.

5K to K is about the norm.

Any faster is not going to be cheap, regardless of the hull or deck house shape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom