Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansrr

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Wing
Vessel Make
Camano 31
My first post gave me a wealth of information so i'll jump ahead some. I'm still a year or so out but here is what I'm in the market for:

*32' to 36' trawler style ( notice I said "style" so I'm learning).

*Single or twin engine diesel. *10-12 knot cruising speed with something in reserve if needed and decent fuel economy if that's possible with the boat outlined.

*Anticipate 50 days per year and and 150 engine hours per year for the first four years and triple that for the following 5-6 years (retired). Probably selling after 10 years or so.

Cruising the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries on overnight and trips up to a week.

*Need heat, air, genset, autopilot, fly bridge. Other necessities? Predominately just my wife and I with occasional guests.

*Budget: 200,000 max with 20% down. Up to 20 years financing as I would pay it off at some point or eat the loss upon selling. A boat with reasonable resale would be a plus. Annual budget of 25,000 including payment, fuel, maintenance, slip, insurance.

Am I missing anything?

For those of you with all the years of ownership experience, what boat would you buy and what considerations am I leaving out?

I should also mention that I am not mechanically inclined so everything but the minor maintenance would be through an outside source.

Nordic Tug 32 or IG 32 Europa

Your requirement for a flybridge eliminates most Nordic Tugs and American Tugs which are perfect boats for cruising in the size range.

Marty

With the options you mentioned and that cruise speed and wanted economy, with two aboard and that kind of cruising ground, I'd look for a PDQ 34 Power Catamaran and plop down my 200K offer and probably get it. If your not a really big guy, that boat will give you all you want for 10 years with minimal depreciation. You asked what "I" would do.

Attachments

• NT.jpg
    NT.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 114
  • AT.jpg
    AT.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 103
I'm probably going to get flamed for mentioning a full planing boat but how about a Carver MY? Your speed requirement with a flybridge tells me this may be a good fit.

Those boats are more handsome without a flying bridge.

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C59783336nu0mrj

Personally, I've absorbed enough sun rays during my two decades of open-cockpit sailboating to last a life time.

Last edited:
I'm satisfied with a periodic "step outside" to get an out-in-the-air perspective.

232323232%7Ffp73438%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A33693336nu0mrj

Sounds like you would not be happy with a fixer up er, or a constant repair boat..

If you want to avoid the hardship of rotten decks (with teak overlay) and rotten plywood PH repair ,

I would look for a boat that is solid glass or cored with some style of plastic , not plywood or balsa. Glass hull, decks , PH

The Gulfstars come to mind and perhaps some Willards.

Many of the Hats and Bertram boats would be a great choice , but dont offer a trawler style look.

However if your plans change either would be better for cruising in the Carib with the proper route down.

Your *10-12 knot cruising speed is outside most trawler speeds and will be 1 NM per gallon if you can find it.

Might as well just bite the bullet and run 18K at 1 NM /gal on a Hat.

Last edited:
Evan, I think you might find it useful to view the various Mainship trawler-style models built over the years.

This is a "value" line (good value, in my mind and considering your price limit) and they've made a couple completely different types of flying bridge 34s, a 35 (renamed to 39), a "sleeper" 36 (although built with gas engines, as far as I know), a 40, and a 43. At least; maybe others. And Lippincott's on Kent Island can probably show you most of those at the drop of a hat.

I mean NOT necessarily to buy, though, but rather -- since these are relatively easy to find and view -- to look at various features you might find attractive in a trawler-style boat, and that might suit your space requirements and layout preferences.

After that, shop for your real target boat (which may or may not turn out to be a Mainship).

BTW, Trawler Fest in Baltimore in late September this year would be a decent place to view lots of trawler style boats too. Getting an idea of boat features (and models) on new boats can help you formulate ideas for target boats available on the secondary market.

-Chris

Last edited:
Based on your required speed & length, I would recommend that you look at downeast (Maine built) boats. They are easly pushed with quite reasonable HP, they look great with a flying bridge (forgive me but tugs not so much), and are rugged and seakindly, There are many builders in Maine that will build you exactly what you want and many nice used ones all over the east coast to look at. Not to be confused with "downeast based" boats like Saber & EastBay.

Mainship 350/390

Albin 36

THE END!!!!

Both of these boats NAIL your requirements. And they come in a variety of engine configurations. The Albin was powered all the way up to twin Yanmar 315s along with a solid cruise in the upper teens. This boat also came with a single 450hp Cummins and bow thruster. There were also twin 270hp Cummins.

The Mainship was mostly powered with a single 300-350hp CAT. ...probably over 90% of them. It would easily cruise at 10-12 knots but that is about it. Just not enough to get it over the hump. You will see some that have twin Yanmars 230hp which would be capable of a cruise in the low to mid teens. There are a few twin Yanmar 170s. And many early models(1997) had twin 200hp Volvos.

Both of these boats can easily be had for WELL UNDER your $200k requirement. And like Craig said up above, I ended up with a Cummins powered Carver 35 and an effortless 17kt cruise at 1mpg. But I understand your desire for a particular "style". I have just owned two trawler style boats and just realized the value in this one and sacrificed a bit of style...although while not very trawler like, I don't think it is hideous!!!....;) One of the very few Carvers that I have always had an eye for...style wise....and a staggering amount of interior volume that will compare to boats in the 40-50ft range.....Unless you are comparing it to another Carver...;)

The one thing you did not mention is what type of trawler "style" do you want. Sedan...double cabin(sometimes called tri-cabin or trunk cabin)...or sundeck. The Mainship and Albin mentioned above are both Sedans. The newer Mainship 40(2005+) basically replaced the 350/390 with the same basic layout and you can find a few for under $200k.

All boats I mentioned represent a significant value in boats....IMO. I will say that the Carver I own now is a better built, better engineered boat than my previous Mainship 30 Pilot. Nothing wrong with the Mainship as I would happily buy another. Just Carver went a little extra in certain areas.

I was shopping this exact segment with your exact criteria for a long time. My Mainship 30 cruised happily at 15kts and I became quite used to that speed. I wanted my next boat to be able to do that speed without have to strain making me feel like I was working the engine(s) too hard to maintain that speed. That automatically eliminated most of the Mainship 350/390s. The only one I considered would be the twin Yanmar 230s. By the way, the 4LHA Yanmar is a fantastic engine. And they were hard to find with that configuration.

Good luck!!! Exciting times ahead!!!!

PS...all boats mentioned are American made. I am not saying that for patriotic reasons. I am saying that because American boat builders build to a standard.....ABYC. And all boats mentioned are built to ABYC standard. Some will discount that but you will see some crazy stuff in boats that are built offshore.

Attachments

• carver.jpg
    carver.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I currently use one of three Albin 28's in the boating club that I joined to try out boating and I will say they are tough boats. All are 2001 models with no frills and all have between 3,000 and 4,000 hours and as little maintenance as the club can get away with but these old boats make it through every time. The club also has an Albin 36 for charter so I'm planning to give that one a try for a weekend trip.

As to the Carver I recently overnighted in Baltimore and saw a very good looking Carver 356 aft cabin for sale. Those are great looking boats and as you say they have plenty of room. I looked it up on the brokers site and it turns out that it was a 96 model with fairly low hours and they only wanted 75k for the boat. Unfortunately it had twin 454 Crusader gas engines. I'm not familiar with them but that sounds like the old Chevy big block and probably guzzles gas big time ? If so then that is the reason for the low hours.

Although I wouldn't even think of doing it I wonder if anyone has had success in re powering one of these otherwise very nice boats with diesels?

Sounds like you would not be happy with a fixer up er, or a constant repair boat..

If you want to avoid the hardship of rotten decks (with teak overlay) and rotten plywood PH repair ,

I would look for a boat that is solid glass or cored with some style of plastic , not plywood or balsa. Glass hull, decks , PH

The Gulfstars come to mind and perhaps some Willards.

Many of the Hats and Bertram boats would be a great choice , but dont offer a trawler style look.

However if your plans change either would be better for cruising in the Carib with the proper route down.

Your *10-12 knot cruising speed is outside most trawler speeds and will be 1 NM per gallon if you can find it.

Might as well just bite the bullet and run 18K at 1 NM /gal on a Hat.

Thanks, FF. I've never heard of Gulfstar or Willard but I will look them up.

I'm still trying to get the terminology straight but when I refer to trawler style I'm referring to the following attributes:
Semi Displacement hull that rides better in rough water than a planing hull
Living space mostly above deck with windows. The cruiser type boats tend to have their living space under the deck in what I've heard referred to as a cave.
An enclosed lower helm so that the boat is usable longer in the year.
As you say the speed may be the disconnect. I'm no speed demon but I like the 12-14 knots at 6GPH that the Albin 28 gives me. You can't have it all though so I appreciate all the input from all the experience that you guys have gained over the years.

With the options you mentioned and that cruise speed and wanted economy, with two aboard and that kind of cruising ground, I'd look for a PDQ 34 Power Catamaran and plop down my 200K offer and probably get it. If your not a really big guy, that boat will give you all you want for 10 years with minimal depreciation. You asked what "I" would do.

Thanks, how do catamarans ride in choppy seas? I'm still getting the boss used to that aspect of boating!

As to the Carver I recently overnighted in Baltimore and saw a very good looking Carver 356 aft cabin for sale. Those are great looking boats and as you say they have plenty of room. I looked it up on the brokers site and it turns out that it was a 96 model with fairly low hours and they only wanted 75k for the boat. Unfortunately it had twin 454 Crusader gas engines. I'm not familiar with them but that sounds like the old Chevy big block and probably guzzles gas big time ? If so then that is the reason for the low hours.

Although I wouldn't even think of doing it I wonder if anyone has had success in re powering one of these otherwise very nice boats with diesels?[/QUOTE,]

If it was a 1996 model it was a 355. The 355 and 356 are almost identical. The 355 just has a bit more angular lines....be dead honest with you, I think I like it better. And $75k might be a bit high. They are tough to find in diesel....seems there were a few a couple of years ago and everybody has snatched them up and is hanging onto them., converting a gasser over to diesel is never a good deal unless somebody gives you the boat to begin with. I was looking at a a Pace 36 sportfish that had been converted from gas to diesel. Twin Yanmar 370hp and a new generator. They had over $80k in receipts....the boat sold for $63k. A great deal for the buyer....but not the seller. So be the buyer....not the "convertor"!!!!

It is kinda like building a swimming pool at your house. You will never get the money out of it. And the person buying the house with pool already is the winner. IOW, if you want a pool, buy the house with the pool already installed. If you want a diesel boat.....buy it with diesel to begin with.

Last edited:
You need 12 knots cruise + some get up and go.....Well, here you go. Well within your budget to add a generator and the boat will hold it's value. BTW, 2 state rooms......so there is a bunk room if you have guest overnight. Fairly rare in a sedan of this size.

2004 Beneteau Antares 9.8 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

4289968_20130301113640414_10_XLARGE.jpg

Last edited:
Those are good boats but very small for their size!

The best advice I can give you is to look at as many boats as you can, try out as many as you can, and speak to other expereinced boaters. Do your research. Be a sponge. After doing your due diligence, hopefully one make/model will speak to you. At some point, you need to commit. Purchase the boat before you plan to do extensive crusing, and use it as you intend. If it is not the right boat, you will know it after getting some first hand experience. Don't be afraid to sell it and move on if it it is not the right boat for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom