warmer in Vancouver than Houston Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koliver

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Retreat
Vessel Make
C&L 44
Time to head north for better weather!

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_metric_e.html
7 deg C here in Vancouver at 8:30 local time,* 2 deg C in Houston, 10:30 local time.

I note a link on the Houston Weather site to Vancouver,
http://www.weather.com/activities/events/sports/slideshow/vancouver.html

some of the pohoto headings are incorrect, as the first one is for sure not English Bay.* somewhere up the coast, but I can't identify it.* The skyline with Grouse Mt covered in snow in the background is definitely not Princess Louisa, but of course you knew that.* The rest of the photos are correct.

Still too cold and rainy here for boating.* Maybe during the Olympics I will get out for a weekend, if I can get to my boat through the road closures and congestion of downtown Vancouver.

and it's been slightly warmer and dryer here in Victoria than Van. On Xmas eve / day we took our boat from Victoria to Poets Cove for a 2 day Christmas vacation. It was beautiful, both the weather and the place.

We live in southeastern Louisiana and I got out of the attic thawing up the hot water supply line to the sink and dishwasher about 2 hours ago.*I learned a trick -though - to locate the frozen area. Took my infrared heat gun up with me and shot the copper pipes to locate the frozen section, it showed 28 degrees F. Heated with a small torch to thaw.

-- Edited by Forkliftt on Sunday 10th of January 2010 12:36:41 PM

Yup, we did the same* - boated in nice weather between Sidney and Friday Harbor*over Christmas and New Years. We've hit good weather 3 of the last 4 for boating in BC over Christmas. Good heat helps once the sun drops below the yard arm though.

I had no idea that Vancouver was so "warm" compared to other spots in Canada, or the US for that matter. While I was there last week, they explained it was the Pacific winds and the mountains that surround the valley. It was beautiful, and I had no idea of the waterways there. I'd love to cruise that area sometime. Had a great time and had some great fish too. I actually was in Chilliwack, BC for 3 days, and one night in Vancouver.

Many believe the cruising here is the finest in the world. I won't dispute that, but will temper it somewhat, as I have cruised in the BVI and Turkey, and I know there are many other places that are magical.
What we have here is extensive, very scenic, but relatively cool. The one exception is our Desolation Sound, where in the hottest part of the summer the water temp can rival the Carib. Once you pass northwest through the passes and go beyond Desolation, the water temp is too cold for any but the most hardy to swim. This temp also causes fog, so the frequent complaint of cruisers going "north" is that until noon, they are fogged in on nice days, and if not foggid in, they get a lot of rain.
South of Vancouver, in the southern Gulf Islands and the San Juan (US) Island, water temp is low, but we don't get so much fog. The US side are busier than the Canadian Islands, but both have a lot to offer.
We have cruised in every month of the year, and one Christmas did a 10 day cruise through the southern Gulf Islands. The days are short and the diesel stove gets a good workout, but the destinations are beautiful and not busy.

There was actually a very thin sheet of ICE on the water in the marina here yesterday morning!!! That's at South Shore Harbour marina in League City, TX. I've NEVER seen that before. Now we're in a warming trend, so that won't happen again this week.

Actually had to mow the lawn this weekend. This is a first. Never before have I had to mow in a month ending in -uary. Hope it cools down and acts a little more like winter for hte coming Olympics!

Back
Top Bottom