Find My Boat - $5,000 REWARD!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love it if you keep me posted on this one. Mostly so I can vicariously enjoy the research and potential purchase/refit process! We spent a year looking for our boat, and this along with one other William Garden design I just fell in love with. She's reminiscent of the Romsdahl 65 trawlers which I love as well. IIRC Tom Smothers of the Smothers Brothers (not sure how old you are or if you remember those guys...) was a previous owner. I think she has tremendous upside at what would appear to be a modest entry. Also, in the event you do end up buying her, there are a couple of yards here in Port Townsend that absolutely excel at the type of refit you would be looking at. Sure would make a great story!

I sure will. I e-mailed the owner/broker. Still waiting for response. It might be more work that I am willing to do, but you never know. I can't tell if it is wood. Do you know? Have you seen it in person? I would not do wood. They say cosmetic upgrades only.

I insure Sea-Battical- she's a great boat, and extremely well maintained. She's currently on the hard getting bottom paint and service work done.

Thanks Peter for pointing her out. I am avoiding catamarans. Know of any raised pilothouse trawlers for sale?

Hey GG -

Here's a long shot:

I spent 10 days in July aboard a 1952 58' Stuart & Fellows wood-hulled trawler. Four cabins (extra large master), three heads, big salon and galley, separate pilot house, lots and lots of deck space everywhere on multiple levels, mechanically great shape. It was an incredible boat and an incredible experience, and we got lots of compliments everywhere. Here she is:

M/V Katherine Jane - Home

She is in charter right now, and I have no idea whether the owner has any interest in a sale. But if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely try to make a deal on this one if the owner has even the slightest interest in a sale.

Cheers -

Steve

Steve, those older wood boats are pieces of art. I am actually avoiding wood. There's an unbelievable Malahide in Turkey that I anguished over for months. If it is was steel or glass I would own it now, but the wood will be more maintenance than I would like to take on. Thanks for pointing her out :)

a custom build is indicated.

Funny you should mention, the boat that I wanted/lost was a custom build.

There are boats out there that I would purchase, but they are not plentiful. There was a seahorse Oceaneer that I would have bought, but my house wasn't sold in time, so I missed it.

I am in a very good position now as my house is supposed to close in a few weeks, so when a suitable boat shows up, I can jump right on it. I know, now, that the good ones go quick :)

This boat would work, but the price. If I had a million to spend, I probably wouldn't have needed to ask for help from you guys. I would have bought that Nordy in Florida for 750 :D

I forgot to ask: did you have a look at that when you were down there?

-Chris

I sure will. I e-mailed the owner/broker. Still waiting for response. It might be more work that I am willing to do, but you never know. I can't tell if it is wood. Do you know? Have you seen it in person? I would not do wood. They say cosmetic upgrades only.

I have talked to the broker several times. The boat belongs to his uncle.
It is wood, Alaskan cedar planking.
Info I got from him:
-some soft planks
-decks did leak, stopped
-needs cleaning out supplies, mold, mildew; being worked on
-one engine rebuilt several years ago, run lees than 20 hours, mechanic down to get it running again
-2nd engine still in parts
- he estimates 2-300,000 dollars to refit, suggests John Deere engines

I checked with a cummins dealer about those engines presently installed,
they are long out of manufacture and support. Believe the tooling, specs etc., were sold to China. Repairs super expensive ,IF PARTS EVEN AVAILABLE, and long wait(down time)

Ted

I forgot to ask: did you have a look at that when you were down there?

-Chris

I sure didn't. Because I e-mailed the broker before I went and a made an offer that was rejected. If I could have gotten that one at my price I would have, but since they declined I gave up on it. After that I had my decision made about the boat that I lost, so I didn't want to waste to much time tire kicking. I spent a lot of time on the boat that I lost while I was there. But I did view a couple others that were inside my price range.

I think that Nordy that we were looking at sold. I'm not surprised, that was an amazing price. Too high for me, but still a good price compared to others.

I have talked to the broker several times. The boat belongs to his uncle.
It is wood, Alaskan cedar planking.
Info I got from him:
-some soft planks
-decks did leak, stopped
-needs cleaning out supplies, mold, mildew; being worked on
-one engine rebuilt several years ago, run lees than 20 hours, mechanic down to get it running again
-2nd engine still in parts
- he estimates 2-300,000 dollars to refit, suggests John Deere engines

I checked with a cummins dealer about those engines presently installed,
they are long out of manufacture and support. Believe the tooling, specs etc., were sold to China. Repairs super expensive ,IF PARTS EVEN AVAILABLE, and long wait(down time)

Ted

Wood. Of course...

Thanks Ted for the info. That puts me out. I wouldn't want to undertake a $300,000 refit, that is probably really 400k, anyhow. It's kind of comical though, the add reads, needs paint...:lol:

I want to thank everyone who has been scouring the net in search of my first boat. I really appreciate the time and effort. I have had many boats brought to my attention these past few days that I have not seen yet. Our family will live on the boat, including my 5 kids, so it is very important to me that I get it right.
Our plan is to hang around here in Boston as liveaboards for a year or so until I am fully competent at the operation of the boat, then take off cruising. International travel is the goal.
A good friend/advisor suggested that I post a few photos of the style of boat that I am looking for as a guide. I thought this was a great idea.

This boat is unbelievable. I almost bought it, but came to my senses at the last minute because it is wood. I am avoiding WOOD.
Southern Marine Malahide
905410_0_040820101339_1.jpg

This boat I loved. I tried to get the owner to hold it for me a few months ago as my house was not sold yet, but I was unsuccessful and it sold. Seahorse Marine only made 5 of these boats.
55' seahorse Oceaneer
images

This boat was pointed out by Minaret. It is exactly the style, but only has 2 staterooms, I need at least 4 or 3 and crew.
60′ ALLIED SHIPYARDS PassageMaker
01616_h3EQ8QhT2nh_600x450.jpg

Looking for:
  • 55-70′
  • Raised Pilothouse
  • At least 4 staterooms (or 3 plus crew)
  • Steel or Fiberglass
  • Trawler/Expedition Style
  • Long Range
  • Passagemaking Capability
  • List Price not to exceed around $600k
Avoiding:
  • Wood
  • Motoryachts
If anyone spots a boat that meets the above, please let me know. Thank You!!!

I still think a call to "Custom Steel Boats" and the Flowers family in NC would not be a waste of time. You never know. Larry

images

Benford ???

Don't know if any are for sale.

Benford Design Group

Florida Bay Coaster. yes, there is one for sale in Cali, I think it's called "North star" or something to that effect. I have been debating on it. Spoke to the broker. He said the fuel burn is great. I think it was 1/4 a gpm. I love the boat and layout, only drawback is that it is not a passagemaker. It's a coastal cruising boat. But, they do seem to hold their value. I was considering buying it and doing a minor refit, then selling it in about 3-4 years to grab something more seaworthy. If it were located on the East Coast I probably would, but the cost to ship stinks, especially since it not really the boat I want.

Still thinking on that one :)

You might want to think the explorer pilot house that is far away from the dock, engine room and the rest of the boat. The pilot house like the Eagle keep you close where you are needed and most important a bathroom. I like to be close enough to feal hear see what is happening.
Don't be to isolated.

Many boats might leak and have some rot. The question is does it affect the structure. So you have to evaluate. Don't pass up a boat because you heard read something.

Also think about financing and maybe buy more expensive boat that meets your needs. Look at the cash flow also.

Last edited:
Florida Bay Coaster. yes, there is one for sale in Cali, I think it's called "North star" or something to that effect. I have been debating on it. Spoke to the broker. He said the fuel burn is great. I think it was 1/4 a gpm. I love the boat and layout, only drawback is that it is not a passagemaker. It's a coastal cruising boat. But, they do seem to hold their value. I was considering buying it and doing a minor refit, then selling it in about 3-4 years to grab something more seaworthy. If it were located on the East Coast I probably would, but the cost to ship stinks, especially since it not really the boat I want.

Still thinking on that one :)

GG a Greatharbor or a Florida Bay Coaster might be a great compromise, you might seriously consider one.

Consider this...

We all dream of foreign countries and paradise for boating but we have over 20,000 miles of waterways you could explore right here in America, and you are in a perfect spot to do just that.

Just a thought...

Your requirements for number of cabins is one of the major problems -- most folks with the money to buy 60 foot boats are retired and not worried about long-term rugrat infestations. Hence they are more worried about big VIP guest suites than packing kids in bunks.

There is however one boat that I know of that will meet your needs. I have been aboard this boat and it's waaayyyy beyond creampuff. Originally built for Harry See, of See's Candy (and as an interesting aside, he sold the the wooden Garden in Portland to replace it with this boat). However the reason I know the design so well is because this is an exact sistership to Island Eagle. The layout for a family just does not get any better. Three roomy double cabins forward, one massive master aft. Full height, walk-around engineroom with exterior access. The one for sale has a captain's cabin in the pilothouse, which IE does not have. Saloon that seats 10 comfortably.

Price is a bit high, but I'm guessing there is some room for negotiations.

1967 Sutton/DeFever Steel Hull, LRC, PilotHouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Last edited:
Starlight is one beautifully appointed vessel and the buyer of it is going to take custody of a well loved baby. :thumb:

Your requirements for number of cabins is one of the major problems -- most folks with the money to buy 60 foot boats are retired and not worried about long-term rugrat infestations. Hence they are more worried about big VIP guest suites than packing kids in bunks.

There is however one boat that I know of that will meet your needs. I have been aboard this boat and it's waaayyyy beyond creampuff. Originally built for Harry See, of See's Candy (and as an interesting aside, he sold the the wooden Garden in Portland to replace it with this boat). However the reason I know the design so well is because this is an exact sistership to Island Eagle. The layout for a family just does not get any better. Three roomy double cabins forward, one massive master aft. Full height, walk-around engineroom with exterior access. The one for sale has a captain's cabin in the pilothouse, which IE does not have. Saloon that seats 10 comfortably.

Price is a bit high, but I'm guessing there is some room for negotiations.

1967 Sutton/DeFever Steel Hull, LRC, PilotHouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Does this Starlight have the same engine as your Island eagle? What's the fuel burn?

GG - I would have thought there would have been numerous boats outs there that fit the bill, but the 4-5 cabin requirement certainly reduces the choices.

Have you thought about a boat with extra deck space where an extra cabin could be added cost effectively? Something like this.

70′ Steel Motor Cruiser | Anchorline Yacht Brokers

Does this Starlight have the same engine as your Island eagle? What's the fuel burn?

No. Island Eagle has a single 6-110; Starlight has twin 6-71s. If I had a choice, I'd have a 6-71 instead of a g-110. It's the single most popular diesel engine ever built, and parts are universally available at low cost.

Fuel burn is unimportant in the scheme of things, it will represent less than 5% of the cost of owning a boat.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

GG - I would have thought there would have been numerous boats outs there that fit the bill, but the 4-5 cabin requirement certainly reduces the choices.

Have you thought about a boat with extra deck space where an extra cabin could be added cost effectively? Something like this.

70′ Steel Motor Cruiser | Anchorline Yacht Brokers

This is a GREAT find!!! Thank You!!! I'm sure there has to be somewhere to squeeze in another berth or 2. I e-mailed the broker. I'll call Tuesday. (Out of town tomorrow)

Here's a couple with 4 cabins, if you don't mind a long delivery home.
The fuel bill on the 1st one might be a bit excessive, though.

Used Southern Ocean Yachts 65 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

The layout on this one confused me. Looks like the only kitchen is outside. It looks like a sturdy build, too bad it didn't have a pilothouse.

Used Raised Pilothouse Motor Yacht for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

This is a beautiful boat, but the price is way north.

You're finding some good ones, especially that Idlewise. Thanks!!! I appreciate the help. I'll keep you posted :thumb: Let me know if you spot anything else :)

This is a GREAT find!!! Thank You!!! I'm sure there has to be somewhere to squeeze in another berth or 2. I e-mailed the broker. I'll call Tuesday. (Out of town tomorrow)

GG - You may have noticed the same broker has a Cheoy Lee 61 with 4 cabins as well.

Cheoy Lee 61′ Motor Yacht | Anchorline Yacht Brokers

As the Aussie dollar has dropped below the US, you can multiply the price by .92, which might go a long way to pay for transport north.

Last edited:
Benn/Tidapah knows the Anchorline brokerage well. I think the shipwright side of the family did his recent major refit. I flew up to see a boat they listed, did not buy, but found them helpful, knowledgeable and direct, above many other brokers. Still, it`s the boat that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom