View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My thinking was...if the only thing I could afford to buy (with liveaboard plans) at the time was an 80's, middle of the road repair wise, Taiwan Trawler....then I knew at that point it might just be a throwaway boat after I lived aboard/cruised for 20 years. When I say middle of the road...she needed far more work than the average boater would be willing to tackle...but I had the time and skills to get he back to reasonable shape and safe cruising.

After 20 years, it will be a 50 year old boat of questionable building techniques and depending just how far I am willing to keep grinding, repairing and glassing hidden wet wood will determine what she is worth by 2033.

If she's still cruising, pleasant inside, and states still allow liveaboards with reasonable marina slip pricing...I just may find someone willing to pay half of what I have in her (even in today's dollars adjusted).

I doubt I could find a more inexpensive way to live except renting a single room, in the middle of nowhere and not have a boat to cruise on. So if she truly is a throwaway boat after 20 years...I come out ahead...if I get half back...the old geezer will have plenty of beer money to splurge with...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote