Pullin the trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justinclay

ForumRunner_20130829_171105.jpg

Think im going to pull the trigger on this one. I work at a marina and the price was 10,900. I offered the owner of my marina 5000 and he agreed. Its a 28 Ft carver voyager. Twin inboard 220 horsepower crusdaders. Loaded with electronics and such. My question is are these old crusaders known for longevity? The service manager took it up the river a cpl miles and said he had it to 3500 and didnt cough or anything. To slow full burn is it wise to run just one engine at a more trawler speed?? Thanks guys and gals.

Congratulations Justin. Have the same engine, just slow it down for better mileage. Not all trannys lube properly running on one engine. I love running on plane but also enjoy just popping it in gear and running just above idle speed from time to time.

If the hull and the decks are sound, how can you go wrong at 5K? Sounds like a great way to become a boater cheap. The savings go a long way to buy gas. If you can set aside the $5K saved into a fuel fund, it'll hurt less than having to come up with it out of your pocket each time you pull up to the pump.

Are you having it surveyed?

Ill probably be running slow. Im in no hurry and have been looking for awile. Slip rental for me at the marina is 450 a season. Includes water, electric, and sat tv. Plus i wont spend a dime on gas going back and forth to work.

I'm jealous, I pay $250/month plus electric. Sweet deal, where are you located?

Wow! And I thought I was getting a good deal at $99/foot (as a new member at the yacht club) for the season (April through October) - next year it's ~$150/foot.

Im a yacht detailer. Thats the discount my marina is giving. Usually about 2,000 for the season. Im located on the illinois river. My marina is called Spring Brook. I believe we have been rated top 100 for the last couple years by a boating mag.

No survey its a 1979 i know its probably got some rot, among other things. Its been in the water for the last two weeks for sale. So it floats, ac and heat work, shower is a little tight but i can shower at marina. Full fridge freezer, bimini, compass, navigation, spot light, vhf radio, forward stateroom and a dinette that converts. Bkth engines run strong and has a decent flybridge. Lower and upper helm. Fire suppresion system, toilet with vanity, microwave, two burner electric stove and an abundance of storage. I think i just going to jump in and putt around fixing stuff slowly. Really love lake Michigan and would love to go up river to see it again.

5K? Just do it. A boat and an apartment? Do it now.

Alright now back to the question, 5.7 crusaders. Known for longevity? I was an auto mechanic and the old 350s usually ran like a brick **** house. Completely different story for marine. Was showing the admiral last night and wanted to hear the engines but the clowns left the batteries off which kills the power to the battery chargers which didnt charge the batteries so i got about 5 revolutions before the dreaded clicking.

<Was showing the admiral last night and wanted to hear the engines but the clowns left the batteries off which kills the power to the battery chargers which didnt charge the batteries so i got about 5 revolutions before the dreaded clicking.>

Most batts will start a 5.7 with no charge in a month , or more.

Why does this need a power hose charge constantly?

...So it floats...Bkth engines run strong...

These were, by far, my most important requirements when I bought my Chris Craft. I knew I could fix and/or clean up any electrical/plumbing and cosmetic issues. But, if there's any chance the boat doesn't float (or could sink - think rusted/corroded through-hulls) or run well, it would have been a deal-breaker for me.

Good luck with the Carver. They've been around a long time and make pretty decent vessels. :)

Great deal, I'd probably jump at it too. Dirt cheap living plus no commute!

More than the engines (they can be fixed or even replaced at a reasonable cost - by boat standards) I'd be looking for leaks. Leaks in the windows, leaks in the decks, leaks from or onto around the fuel tanks. They can be hard to find and fix, and once they affect cosmetics inside, or corrode out some critical system, the costs go way up.

At this price, you also have to wonder if it ever partially sank. You're in fresh water so it's less of an issue, but still, if any wiring or equipment was soaked then dried out, it will eventually corrode.

You're right to consider core rot, not sure on this model what the mfg process was, maybe someone who knows will chime in. Also maybe check for blisters on the hull.
Still, if you have the resources of a marina at your disposal, you could probably get some help with any of the above. So I'd go for if I were you.

Resources indeed. Friends with the mechanics. The other detailer said a case of beer and a boat ride to a shade cove and hed help buff it with me. Interior the ol lady wants to rip up carpet so ill find out then what woods getn replaced. Gonna sit down tonight and figure my finances and how much i can afford to replace.

Wow

What a deal keep us informed and send pictures as you start working on it

I see the "Admiral" has now become the "ol lady" and only within a few posts.

Just a word of caution when living aboard the ol lady is always the admiral, now the Captain is a different story he can become the janitor or pump out boy anytime.

Haha, my ol lady is cautious about water so most everything will be done by me. I have and always will be a spur of the moment and i jump in without hesitation. Im young, i dont own a home so im noy stuck to land. I have a 4 yr old who loves loves loves the water. the ol lady said a couple months ago my adventure had tapered off. So i said lets live on a boat...she says but...i say but nothing. You wanna not know whats going to happen? You want adventure, not know what tomarrow brings? Lets live on a boat.

Love your attitude and spirit Justin, reminds me of my boys. Some of the most successful people I know never lost that fire to try something new.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom