Nav Rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea hag

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Prima Seahorse
Would like opinions on whether iPad version of Nav Rules would meet USCG regs.

Thanks.

I think they would. I used to use PDF light lists, coast pilots, and CFR's on CD's on an inspected passenger boat that the coast guard accepted. But every inspector can have a different opinion.

<But every inspector can have a different opinion.>

For that reason I would keep a paper copy aboard .

CYA

A rules book is not that large and can be kept at the helm for reference.

In the back of my mind I am thinking that there is a rule that the Nav rules must be paper to satisfy the Coast Guard requirements. This may have changed since the last time I looked (2004).

Marty

The USCG as of 2013 is asking the law be changed. The old law states that any vessel from 39'4" and above (MUST) have a copy of the Nav rule hand book onboard the Vessel.

The USCG is asking the rule be dropped from 39' 4" down to 16 feet. I have not hear if they have gotten their wish as of yet and if it is the law.

I do know under the old law a Hard copy of the hand book must be onboard the Vessel. The reason being If a Vessel's power fails the Capt of the vessel still have a hard copy of the the hand book to use. That is what the USCG told us in a class any ways. But however, if this new Law has passed they may have change that as well I do not know, but a simply call to the USCG will tell you if you still need a hard copy of the book or not.

Also here is a good link that may help some people with the Nav Rules.

All the best.

H. Foster

Last edited:
The USCG Auxiliary web site for Vessel Examiners has the following exchange in their FAQ section:

Question: Does the availability of electronic documentation on board satisfy the VSC requirement. Example, a vessel over 39.4 feet required to carry navigation rules. If they can be readily accessed on a computer, smart phone etc. Does that satisfy the requirement?

Answer: No it does not as a computer, phone anything electronic can break down and become inaccessible.

Note that these aren't necessarily maritime attorneys, but they do have access to the folks who enforce the rules, so they carry some weight.

I hadn't heard about any effort to reduce the length required to carry NavRules. It doesn't really make sense on a small boat. But then again, don't bet against the gov't doing things that make no sense.

Capt Tom.

Great post. You said it better then I did. Thanks.

As far as the new Law (Down to 16') I think the USCG is tired of the smaller vessel getting sceamed by larger vessels because some the smaller vessels do not fallow the rules. That is just my thought any ways. Then again is could be just a money thing! As we know the Gov just loves to take a dollar any way they can.

Any ways Great post!

H.Foster

marine store sell lamented cheat summary card that I have at the helm for ready access. reference. sound, lights bouys and general rules. Most states require you take pass a general boat. to obtain a license.

AttendedUSPC course this weekend and picked up copy of Federal requirements. The printed requirements for vessels over 40' are:

1. Oil Pollution Placard. 5 x 8 inches, durable material, posted in machinery space or bilge.

2. Garbage Placard. 5 x 8 inches, durable material. Posted in machinery area or bilge.

3. Oceangoing vessels over 40' equipped with a galley and berthing must have a written waste management plan.

Just for fun, a portion of the same regs says must be be 4x 9 inches !

Racing sailboats here are required to carry paper racing rules. Which led to the skipper of a boat with the bow of another embedded midships, passing his copy to the other adding " Read this, you might learn something".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom