Favorite Vids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal

What are your favorite videos on YouTube that you believe capture your view of the trawler/cruising lifestyle?

While not a fan of big yachts, Nordhavn recently released a video in their 120 delivery series that I like because of the combination of coffee, calm, and standing watch in a pilothouse: http://youtu.be/5XbGLDaWHOY

What are your favorite videos and why? What videos would you share with a non-nautical friend to explain your trawler hobby/lifestyle? Most importantly, what videos would you show to an admiral to get her interested in the idea?

Thanks in advance,
A Midwestern Dock Walker

Nope...and we don't have TV either. We go boating to escape that stuff...
Oh...you mean when away from the boat...no...I just pick up the odd boating mag. I might also watch the odd boating orientated program on TV, which we do have at home.
I'd like to be watching the Louis Vuitton cup, but we have nothing on our TV re America's cup so far, damn it...

Last edited:
I'll watch Y.T. if someone posts something interesting but other wise I don't bother searching.
On the boat all that stuff gets minimal use. Generally only to keep up e mails. No TV either, watch enough of that at home.

I watch videos of people rock climbing in buggies. That takes my mind away from the head replacement that is coming in the near future. When on the boat I love it but when not on it I think about the next project and wish I had more money to do it with.

We watch a recorded program or movie, mostly dramas and comedy, about twice a week. Since we at anchor in a world without TV for 5 months at a time we have a number of quite evenings. Are programs are recorded (timeshifting only) when we are back in the states and brought with us.

Marty

Peter B,

All of the Cup races are on You Tube . The good news - you can watch them whenever you want. The bad news - they're not races, more like time trials. It's a shame.

Animal - as part of my "job" I spend a lot of time trolling YouTube looking for good quality videos about cruising on the Pacific NW. You can eventually find one good video out of a hundred or so. If it's good enough I'll post it to our site. One of my personal favorites are a series of three videos made by Tony Fleming on his cruise to Alaska. Here's part 1 with links to parts 3 and 4: http://pacificnwboater.com/venture-to-alaska-1-fleming-65.html

IIRC, though, they're much more travelogue than "trawler lifestyle" videos. Here's a short video we made last summer primarily to show our family what it was like to live and work aboard our trawler in the San Juan Islands: http://pacificnwboater.com/living-working-aboard-sucia-island.html Not a lot of onboard shots, but it nicely depicted our lifestyle which centers on our trawler and where she can take us.

If I can think of any other good trawler oriented videos I'll post them here.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Darren, I'm glad you in particular chimed it. Just a couple days ago I found one of your videos that I really enjoyed:
Living Aboard - Sucia Island - YouTube

I have a two and a half year old (racing towards 3) with a second on the way. That video really hit home, and I enjoyed sharing it with the Admiral!

Last edited:
I wish they were my inside passage stories! And, I wouldn't mind having a 65' Fleming either!

But, there are a lot more videos than that. For people interested, there are videos on the ICW, Nova Scotia, Iceland, Norway, St. Lawrence Seaway, Caribbean, Panama, Galapagos, Mexico and more. All fascinating.

He also writes about all his travels on Flemingyachts.com/venture

He is most definitely living my "dream".

One of my favorites here. Iron John Cruising...The "Flab" Four go cruising on the Chesapeake Bay and St. Michaels Md.
Excellent! I really enjoyed the video! :blush:

Back
Top Bottom