need to purchase and install autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

no mas petrol

I made an offer on a 48' tollycraft and the boat does not have an autopilot. I plan to install it myself. I would like recommendations on some of the different brands. The first thing I need to know is what the volume is of the steering hydraulic cylinder. That would get me started. I am 400 miles from the boat or I would get a part number, or measure the unit and calculate volume. Can anyone give some guidance.

Thanks,

Greg

It's not critical, perhaps even less so these days with NMEA 2000 networking, but I tend to prefer having the same brand across the whole electronics suite. That way manufacturer X can't blame sync problems on manufacturer Y...

-Chris

The size of the hydraulic steering cylinder directly affects the size of the autopilot pump. The rest of the autopilot is totally based on other preferences. If cost is a concern look at a model phase out such as the Si-Tex 70 or 80. You won't be able to do figure eights or other fishing patterns but they are reasonably priced and work well. Or you can go with popular choices such as Furuno, Garmin, or Raymarine. In my opinion they are all about equal as far as install.

Thanks for the input. I will see if the broker can get the measurments or part numbers of the steering cylinder. I have no personal preference and the boat has pot pouri for existing equipment. So Si-tex would be acceptable. I can forego the whistle and bells.

thanks again,

Greg

I installed the Sitex in about 12 hrs.

Si-Tex is a re-branded ComNav. Consider a ComNav as well. ComNav is well regarded by most of the commercial fleet. They answer questions on the phone, often times you'll speak with the president of the company. Their manuals are clear and concise.

No affiliation.

Si-Tex is a re-branded ComNav. Consider a ComNav as well. ComNav is well regarded by most of the commercial fleet. They answer questions on the phone, often times you'll speak with the president of the company. Their manuals are clear and concise.

No affiliation.

Same here, ComNav is great.......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Consider a ComNav as well. ComNav is well regarded by most of the commercial fleet.
I had a very basic ComNav pilot on a 30' Maiship-Pilot and it is the most trouble free AP I've ever had.

I would reccomend looking at comnav. Ihad the 2001 on my 38 1/2' salmon troller. It was great. Rember that even a top notch ap can be degraded by a lower quality compass.
Ted

There is a com/nav outlet in Brookings OR, I will give them a call and see what the system is and what its capabilities are. As said earlier I am not a big bell and whistle advocate.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Greg

There is a com/nav outlet in Brookings OR, I will give them a call and see what the system is and what its capabilities are. As said earlier I am not a big bell and whistle advocate.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Greg
The ComNav we have installed is a 1001 with a remote for the command bridge
simple, easy and has never hiccupped. Works with our original hydraulic pump and compass................

I am trying to size The hydraulic pump for the Tolly 48'. does anyone have an idea on the cubic inches on that boats steering ram. It looks like they offer three sizes: type 1 is up to 11 cubic inches, type 2 is up to 22 cubic inches, type 3 is up to 30 cubic inches. Any Tolly helpers out there? If I had to venture a guess it would be type 2.

Thanks for the help,

Greg

Try your question on the Tollycraft Forum. It is active and likely you can get the needed info from there.

You might even ask Com nav since they have probably sold some units for these boats.

But don't guess even if it delays you. Find out for sure what the cylinder size is.

Thanks C Lectric,

I posted on the Tolly site, no help there yet. I re-emailed the broker as the boat is a block from their office. Hope that will result in a part number or a measurement. Most folks on the forums are really good help.

Thanks again,

Greg

Back
Top Bottom