Needing some opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just for general knowledge...

Sometimes you can find other impellers that fit your pump as some pump manufacturers use the same impeller as others...often it's just the drive type, diameter and width you need.

Also...on many pumps you can use the back side of the cover (reverse it) to lengthen it's service life

Just for general knowledge...
Also...on many pumps you can use the back side of the cover (reverse it) to lengthen it's service life

Same goes for the inside wear plate if your pump is so equipped. I had a problem after replacing the impellers and called Jabsco. They informed me about the presence of the wear plate which I didn't realize was there. They mentioned the idea of flipping it and the back cover over to extend its life and sent me two free replacement wear plates.

Way to go, Jabsco!!

The adventure continues. For those following this thread, sorry it has taken so long for me to write. I had planned on writing daily but was having so much fun and extremely tired at the end of a day that I did not write. In a nut shell the Saturday morning that we planned on heading North I decided to keep the boat at Key Largo for the Winter. We spent the next 5 days cruising the Keys. Upon returning to Key Largo we had the boat hauled and made arrangement to have the bottom and running gear painted. The plan is for me to return in about five weeks to check the work being done and install a new refrigerator. Also need to make some plans for getting the heads working. The pumps probably simply need seals or packing from sitting idle so long. Still there is a bigger problem that requires some planning. Both heads have electro-sans sanitation treatment devices. These are not legal in the Keys. My plan is to replace the older Electro-Sans with a holding tank and maybe y valve with dump. This would allow me to lock the y valve in one head and disable the electro-sans when not legal. When legal I can use the holding tank and electro-sans. I would certainly entertain any suggestions regarding size of holding tank as well as mounting position. The head that I would put the holding tank is the forward one in the galley area. I also need to look at the westerbeke generator. The generator started to do funny things toward the end of our cruising. It acted as if it were overloading. It should not have with the small load on it at the time. I believe the problem is minor. After talking to a westerbeke rep I got the impression that the generator will act as if overloaded it the fuel supply is lessened. I allowed the system to shut down. Found the battery needed to be jumped to start the engine . The rep implied that a low battery could reduce fuel flow. Also upon start up the Ac and DC gages showed negative output. I am told there is a breaker on the rear of the generator that could have tripped when I let the thing shut down. The generator has about 150 hours on it. As I said I believe nothing serious. Also replaced a 4D battery when in Marathon. Also some other minor stuff to look into. In any case we had fun, loved the Keys and plan on returning for a trip to Key West and then another to the Bahamas. In April we will start the trek up the ICW landing in Mass about 5 weeks later.

Well keep an eye out for you as we should be arriving in FL around Thanksgiving and heading to the Bahamas about the same time as you due to the FL 90 day rule then heading north in March.

When heading to Key West check out Stock Island great rates and facilities and still close enough to the craziness in downtown without being caught up in it and the expensive marinas

Well keep an eye out for you as we should be arriving in FL around Thanksgiving and heading to the Bahamas about the same time as you due to the FL 90 day rule then heading north in March.

When heading to Key West check out Stock Island great rates and facilities and still close enough to the craziness in downtown without being caught up in it and the expensive marinas

Gerald, what is the Florida 90 day rule?

90 days in state for out of state registered boats get whacked with a "use" tax for being in Fl.

I would imagine it's like NJ in that it's almost impossible to enforce unless you sit in one place or frequent one place for that time. I don't know how they would catch a cruiser.

90 days in state for out of state registered boats get whacked with a "use" tax for being in Fl.

I would imagine it's like NJ in that it's almost impossible to enforce unless you sit in one place or frequent one place for that time. I don't know how they would catch a cruiser.

In the "old days" you would be safe in that thought, not as much in today's economy.

The state government is much more aggressive in going after any and all forms of revenue. The state will catch many more "evaders" these days and even provide a bonus system for "revenuers" to catch Fl. tax dodgers.

The state is aware of the excuses and have heard them all, remember it is up to you to prove compliance not the other way around (think tax audit)

You can and will be audited and if you have remained in the state for 30 days after buying a boat in the state will be required to pay state sales tax (popping over to Bimini for a weekend no longer counts). They will check your marina lease, insurance and see if you paid for hurricane coverage etc.) My attorney was very clear on this.

Use tax and surtax will become due when you title and/or register the boat in Florida. Florida titling and/or registration must occur:
• Within 30 days after purchase.
• Within 90 days after the boat enters Florida, if the boat is documented, titled, and/or registered in another state.

If the boat is 5 net tons of measurement or larger, the purchaser may obtain a set of
Florida Department of Revenue boat decals, which authorize the boat to remain in Florida
waters up to 90 days after the purchase. This period may be extended to 180 days with the
purchase of a 90-day extension decal. The decals must be obtained from the selling dealer
or broker.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

This is becoming a gold mine for cash strapped states and is a lot easier to enforce then you think. In today's world of security cameras (at every drawbridge, lock and most marinas) not to mention the ease of tracking purchases electronically, flying below the radar is not so easy.

PS, I spoke with a state tax collector and they informed me that they get many tips on non-compliance when they bust/collect from someone in a marina who then "informs" them about the "other guys around them that have been doing it for years". True story.

Last edited:
In the "old days" you would be safe in that thought, not as much in today's economy.

The state government is much more aggressive in going after any and all forms of revenue. The state will catch many more "evaders" these days and even provide a bonus system for "revenuers" to catch Fl. tax dodgers.

The state is aware of the excuses and have heard them all, remember it is up to you to prove compliance not the other way around (think tax audit)

You can and will be audited and if you have remained in the state for 30 days after buying a boat in the state will be required to pay state sales tax (popping over to Bimini for a weekend no longer counts). They will check your marina lease, insurance and see if you paid for hurricane coverage etc.) My attorney was very clear on this.

Use tax and surtax will become due when you title and/or register the boat in Florida. Florida titling and/or registration must occur:
• Within 90 days after the boat enters Florida, if the boat is documented, titled, and/or registered in another state.

If the boat is 5 net tons of measurement or larger, the purchaser may obtain a set of
Florida Department of Revenue boat decals, which authorize the boat to remain in Florida
waters up to 90 days after the purchase. This period may be extended to 180 days with the
purchase of a 90-day extension decal. The decals must be obtained from the selling dealer
or broker.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

Can't comment on the actual law because I don't care. I'm not in Florida or expect to be there for more than 90 days till a few more years down the road.

My comments are also not about the "law" but the enforcement of the law which I am pretty familiar with. How does the state "catch" offenders? I used to fly the NJ Taxation people around to look at boats and marinas and "pirate" marinas.

Got pretty chatty with them and it was obvious that they only targeted some boats or tripped over a few. They actually only "enforced" the law a couple times a year as it was "snapshots" of what was there one month to the next is how they knew.

Other than that...how does LE even know you are still in a state? Credit Card receipts? Bridge tender logs? Videos? Sure it can be done...but I would be surprised if the amount of paperwork and effort to catch a bunch of "moving" cruisers will offset the several hundred dollar registration fee. Targeting megayachts and "squatters" is a different story....big money and low hanging fruit is usually the targets for such operations....as would be Fla residents just trying to sidestep sales tax versus just the visitor 90 day rule which is I think what the question was about. (but maybe not)

Last edited:
I can't answer your question as to how likely it is you would be caught skirting the law, I will say more likely now then ever in the past.

Florida as you know is a no income tax state by state constitution (needing a majority vote by the people to change, so not going to happen) and is tight on cash to run the government, like most states. Florida is much more aggressive now in going after any and all forms of income and 6% to the state and up to 1.5 % to the county of the total sales price (capped at $18k) is a fairly good incentive considering the number of sales and near full time cruisers we have here.

Think of the number of snow birds that spend 6+ months here at the same marina (to comply with the law they must leave the state every 90 days and have proof they did more then run off shore to empty their holding tank)

States are hungry for $$ so how safe are you from enforcement? I have no idea but the interest and fines for getting caught by the "man" are painful and it's happening more now then ever.

BTW it's more then just a registration fee, it is a sales tax for 6% plus the county tax (up to 1.5%) of the value of your boat less what you have paid in sales tax to another state (and can prove).

If you bought your boat in another and paid 6+% in sales tax and can prove it then it is only a Fl. registration fee of a few hundred bucks.

* "Example: If you purchase a boat in a state that has a sales tax rate of 4 percent, you will have to pay an additional 2 percent when you bring the boat into Florida. However, the maximum tax of $18,000 will apply.
Under most conditions, use tax and surtax are due on boats brought into Florida within 6 months from the date of purchase. However, use tax may be due upon importation into Florida, under either of the following conditions:
• The boat belongs to a Florida resident; or
• The boat belongs to a corporation for the use of a corporate officer or director who is a Florida resident or who owns, controls, or manages a dwelling in Florida.
"

* http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

Last edited:
I found out last year (when trying to figure a way out of paying my sales tax on my boat purchase ....ouch) that the Coast Guard now sends copy's of the documentation to the states tax offices when they issue new/changes to the boats documentation. This is to simplify the enforcement of recovering taxes due to the state and is a relatively new occurrence.

I found out last year (when trying to figure a way out of paying my sales tax on my boat purchase ....ouch) that the Coast Guard now sends copy's of the documentation to the states tax offices when they issue new/changes to the boats documentation. This is to simplify the enforcement of recovering taxes due to the state and is a relatively new occurrence.

Didn't happen last year in NJ .... the USCG changed (corrected) my documentation number and NJ would not contact nor was contacted by the USCG. I couldn't register my boat in NJ unless I paid for a new USCG document to mail them. So they lost a year's registration fees.

Maybe it's not in all states or just hadn't reached NJ yet (as of last July).

If you are not a Florida resident this applies. I have registered 2 boats in Florida under this regulation. No use tax was due---only the annual registration. Moonstruck is registered in Florida.

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:
• You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
• You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
• The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period.

Moonstruck is exactly right with the use tax. The second part to the taxing question is Exemptions from Registration which is decribed below.

Vessels exempt from registration include: non-motor powered vessel less than 16 feet in length, and any non- powered canoe, kayak, racing shell, or rowing scull, regardless of length; vessels used exclusively on private lakes and ponds; vessels owned by the United States Government; vessels used exclusively as a ship’s lifeboat; and vessels covered by numbers in full force and effect which have been awarded pursuant to federal law or a federally approved numbering system provided that such vessels are not operated in state waters in excess of 90 consecutive days.

The key words for most snowbirds or loopers is 90 consecutive days for a documented vessel.

Don, that is correct. The state will go after the folks who buy a boat here and then keep it here while documenting it somewhere else (what I wanted to do) or documenting it here so they can put a Florida city on the stern but not paying the tax and hoping to keep the state from looking too close.

From the state of Florida provided PDF

"Inspections and Compliance
Tax compliance is an important part of boat ownership because it helps pay for services that benefit all boaters in Florida. We conduct tax compliance inspections at marinas, repair facilities, and other docking sites on a regular basis. We also use many other sources of information to determine compliance."

"Even if the boat is not initially taxable in Florida, however, the vessel will again become taxable at a rate of 6% of fair market value if the boat remains in Florida for 90 consecutive days or 183 days within a calendar year. "

"The Change
The big change in Florida tax is that they have imposed a cap on the total amount that can be due on a vessel. The capped number is $18,000. Since Florida taxes at a 6% rate, this means that the change can potentially impact any boat that has a value of greater than $300,000. The change, therefore, will not have too great an effect on the average family cruiser, but it will have a dramatic effect on boats that are $500,000 and up. The has already been passed by the legislature and signed into law by the Governor. This takes effect on July 1, 2010, and covers all sales that occur on or after that date.

The Duck and the Dodge

Prior to this enactment, boat owners that wanted to enjoy Florida waters, but did not want to pay Florida’s tax had several legal ways to avoid payment (many probably avoided illegally as well). First, so long as they were not Florida residents, they could bring the boat to another state for part of the year and bring it back to Florida for the cold months. This worked great for snowbirds, sportfishers and others who tended to migrate with the season......."

Florida Boat Tax – Major July 1, 2010 Change

I am amazed at the folks that are blissfully unaware of this stuff (wait, oh crap, I was as well :))

At my marina there are at least 14 boats that have been there (without moving) for more then 6 months, that are not in compliance with this law.

The dock master said we are due for a state dock walker as the last one was in Dec.

Last edited:
Although I am California not Florida, was told by harbor master the county sends out dock walkers annually.

I would much rather have Florida's
6% tax rules than CA's where it's heavy on the sales tax 9% in Alameda plus more than 1% personal property tax EVERY year.

Although I am California not Florida, was told by harbor master the county sends out dock walkers annually.

That's because the counties want their property taxes on our boats. For Bay Area counties, the tax rate is about 1.1 to 1.5%, county dependent.

Last edited:
Ken, this will help on the trip.

Boat Delivery Checklist

SUPPLIES

__ Belts for engine __ Flashlight
__ Duct tape __ First Aid Kit
__ Ponchos for crew __ Blue gasket sealer(RTV)
__ Volt meter __ Bastard file
__ Wire brush __ Cable ties
__ 5 gal bucket & 1 or 2 gal __ Liquid soap
__ Rain X __ Applicable charts
__ lots of paper towels __ 7 x 50 binoculars
__ compasses (2) __ mop bucket
__ Liquid wrench __ Elec. Drill & bits
__ Hack saw & blades (important) __ Dive mask
__ 25' - 50' 1/4" nylon line __ 1 roll nylon fish net line
__ Pencils & scratch pad __ 6 rolls elec. Tape
__ WD-40 __ 10 qts. Engine oil
__ Butane lighters __ SS hose clamps (many sizes)
__ Fuel filters (full carton inc. gen set __ Supply of fuses

__ Water hoses, including gen & ALL sizes on board:

Note: Suction hoses reinforced -fresh water system
__ Carton of light bulbs for running lights
__ Water pump impellers-mains & gen set
__ Tool kit (lots of tools) Lge. Stilson wrench for shaft;
Lge. Hammer/hatchet; Allen wrenches; 2 adjustable 8" & 10"
__ Wood plugs for thru hulls
__ Reflective tape on life jackets for each crew member
__ Spare parts for fresh water pump IMPORTANT!
__ Lge. Tube silicon glue w gun
__ Elec. Wire about 10g/12g 10' to 15'
__ Transmission fluid for trans. & steering; 1/2 gallon minimum
__ 1 gal. Diesel fuel in a container (for fuel filter change)
__ Bulbs for 12 v lights in engine room and cabins
__ 300' min. ground tackle made up to an anchor
__ 6 dock lines at least 35' long
__ 4 lge. Fenders w lines on both ends
__ At least 1 long boat hook
__ Lge Thermos for coffee for offshore

__ Drinking water in containers
__ Sheets of gasket material; 1 fiber & 1 rubber
__ "Bailing wire" or length small diameter SS wire
__ Plastic bottle w/flip top-shampoo bottle for trans. Fluid to add to trans. & hydraulic steering
__ Plastic funnel (can be made from 2 or 3 liter plastic bottle)
__ Several old newspapers-in case of fuel filter change underway-place under filters, with mop bucket

THINGS TO DO WITHOUT FAIL:
__ Butane stove-check amount of butane
__ Check steering fluid and check for leaks
__ Run mains, after changing filters, for at least one hour
__ Run gen set, after changing filters, for at least one hour
__ Add fuel additive to diesel-even if it has some already
__ Check batteries with load tester
__ Diagram fuel lines & valves
__ Diagram fresh water tanks, lines & valves
__ After engines are warm, draw diagrams of all instruments, noting location of needles.

Note differences in bridge gauges and those in cabin.
__ Run the fresh water pump

The list looks long, but on a dark and stormy night, what do you prefer to NOT have on board?

Still there is a bigger problem that requires some planning. Both heads have electro-sans sanitation treatment devices. These are not legal in the Keys. My plan is to replace the older Electro-Sans with a holding tank and maybe y valve with dump. This would allow me to lock the y valve in one head and disable the electro-sans when not legal. When legal I can use the holding tank and electro-sans. I would certainly entertain any suggestions regarding size of holding tank as well as mounting position. The head that I would put the holding tank is the forward one in the galley area.

We also have Electro-San on Holly Day with both heads discharging into the single Electro-San treatment unit. Originally from there it was plumbed overboard. The boat has a factory-installed 50 gallon holding tank which was not plumbed when we bought her. Downstream of the Electro-San I installed a lockable "Y" valve. Now we can send our blackwater from the Electro-San either overboard, as before, or into the holding tank. This of course means you have purified waste going into your holding tank, which precludes that usual "stench" one encounters with them. From the holding tank we can empty waste via a deck pumpout. Once you get that holding tank installed, you may want to consider this arrangement. It allows maximum flexibility with minimal cost, and it's entirely legal anywhere no-discharge rules are in force. By the way, as an alternative to marinas (which are quite pricy in Key West) I suggest you consider the Key West City Mooring Field just east of Fleming Key and north of Garrison Bight. If you take one monthly you'll save a lot of money over the weekly or daily rate. The included facilities ashore (laundry, showers, water-fill, secure dinghy dockage and car parking) are first rate. Good luck!

Wow, what a pile of you know what. I thought the story of my purchase and trip up the ICW was going to subside until April when we were planning on heading North. Now I am dealing with the 90 day rule. Thought I had the issue covered but not so. Seems the broker was not exactly correct in his interpretation. I had been told you can purchase a 90 day extension sticker for $50.00 and another if purchased within 60 days of the first for another 90 days. Another possible plan was to simply pay the sales tax and be done with it. Well. first the broker was wrong, the second 90 day extension was not $50 but instead $500. This would only get us till February, not exactly the best time of year to head North. Paying the sales tax seemed to be the next best bet but add county taxes, registration fees, and all of the uncertainties of these laws and this becomes less attractive then getting the hell out of the state. I say uncertainties because nobody including the documentation service can explain in a way that makes since the laws and what to do if in my situation. I believe the legality of many of these taxes could be questioned. The stupidity goes without saying. Think about it, I buy a boat in Florida. A broker made a commission. The Marina where the boat was hauled and work done brought in more revenue. I now have the boat on the hard and plan on having more work done. Oh, by the way Obama and Florida officials, that is real job creation. Also if I pay the sales tax and then move as planned to Mass. I am told the tax revenue is sent to Florida so Florida doesn't gain much. Well there are two other possibilities that make some since. one, I could apply for a repair extension but it must be because the boat cannot be operated. And by the way when I asked if the installation of a working and legal head in Florida waters was acceptable I was told no. So I must move through Florida shores without a legal holding tank, ok a doggy bag works. The second possibility is to apply for a Sojourner Registration. This is not a bad solution is costs $3.00 per foot and allows a boat owner to stay for 1 year or also available for more money is a two year registration This is ok but requires a valid registration from another state and Mass does not issue registrations to documented vessels. When I have questioned what I would need from Mass to present to Florida I was told go register the vessel in Delaware. How stupid is this? I want to spend more money in Florida but to do that the state wants to fine me and make things very difficult. Things tend to get very complicated and evasive when government passes questionable laws. The idea that they will fine me now because I changed my mind about leaving in the original 90 days is asinine. This is really very simple. I should be able to present a valid costal document and tax receipt, oh and by the way I do not know how Mass has any right to the sales tax money from Florida but apparently they do, Florida should be collecting the tax, so back to the original statement a valid document and tax receipt from the state it was sold in and I should be able to buy a temporary registration for the Florida waters. During which time revenue would be introduced into the Florida economy. Now as it stands I head North in September or October. But, what happens in Georgia or the Carolinas, is it the same and in 90 days I need to head North? Hmmm January? I don't think so.

Consider the option of registering in RI (in addition to documenting). You get decals in RI with no boat numbers. No sales tax in RI. Keep your boat in the Narragsnett for a year or so and move to MA tax free. If you register in RI, then move to GA to get the work done you may avoid the FL tax issue?????

Unfortunately the documentation was already started. It was simply a transfer. Also, we have a location in Ma. I definately would like no tax but I had planned on paying it somewhere. Again I would think the tax should be paid in the state it was sold, you know "SALES TAX".

60 day, 90 day? Please give me some logic to this insanity. Has our government gone completely nuts. It must be me. There must be some logical reason for the rules. Or is this just another way to rape the public by the government, (state in this case).

Ummm, are you really surprised that state tax laws and policies differ? Or that the President of the United States isn't spending more time worrying about the needs of recreational boaters?

No I would not expect the President to spend any time with the issues of recreational boaters or anything at that level. I would also expect local laws to differ but I would also expect local laws to promote economic growth. I do not have a problem paying a reasonable amount use tax to spend time in a particular state. Actually I still think that is possible and I simply have not gotten the correct information. The reason for a documented boat I would expect to be the same as a fedreraly licensed aircraft. Both a boat and an aircraft are capable of interstate as is your car. I stand corrected, I discovered if you stay in Florida over 30 days or something you have to register your car in Florida??? Maybe the 30 days is if, you move to Florida?? How could that be possible

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom