A boat or a vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
How long does a watercraft have to be to be determined a vessel.

It seems some banks are using the term boat vs vessel.

Something about the difference between the type of loan offered.

SD

A vessel is a hollow object designed to navigate on water. A boat is a vessel. A ship is a vessel. It's easier to define a vessel than it is a boat versus a ship.

But then a bank can define a vessel anyway it wants to fit its loan policy.

According to Chapman's there is no official definition of boat (in terms of length, size, shape, etc.). Vessel, as has been previously noted, is almost anything that floats. My brothers in the naval service routinely referred to their ships (one a sub and the other an aircraft carrier) as "boats." But the banks to which you refer probably could care less.

A vessel is anything used to transport goods or people on the water. A log raft is a vessel.

It's like using the word "vehicle" to generically describe a car, truck, SUV, motorcycle or whatever.

I was always told a boat can be lifted out of the water (ships in heavy salvage pontoon docks excluded). The exception being submarines, which historically are called boats. My .02.

USS Stark.....hmmmmm.....

Attachments

• Stark.jpg
    Stark.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 338
More interesting is when is a boat a yacht? I've heard 42 feet or more. Also heard that any boat "vessel" used for pleasure is a yacht. Is my dinghy then a yacht?

Mason, it's whatever makes you happy.

232323232%7Ffp543%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A273%3B%3A336nu0mrj

A beer mug is a vessel, it carries a libation. An artery is a vessel, it carries your life's blood. A boat or ship is a vessel, it carries you. A person is a vessel, it carries your soul, or the qualities that make you, you.

Bankers are idiots.

I prefer calling ours a self contained three person Earth's ocean / atmosphere boundary layer exploration pod.

Simple: A "yacht" is any recreational boat that's bigger or fancier than the one I presently own. Obviously the actual specifications change every time I buy a new boat.

Boat... It's only a yacht when you have to sell it. A vessel is someone else's boat.

Boat... It's only a yacht when you have to sell it. A vessel is someone else's boat.

I'd expand that to include when your non boating friends and family find out you own one. We thought we bought a boat, surprised to find out its a yacht.

A yacht is what I call my boat when talking to people who have never seen it, and are never likely to. . . . . .:socool:

Is having a close relative, like a sister, helping on maintenance, qualify one's boat as a yacht?

img_174314_0_430876282d899d3820076a5bc336cccc.jpg

Vessel is an all encompassing term.
Downunder, a yacht is a sail powered boat larger than a sailing dinghy, it almost certainly has an engine. I use "sailboat" when posting, it`s easier.
A large expensive luxurious stately powerboat will often be called a motor yacht(especially when for sale), the largest ones border on being ships. The more flamboyant ones we may call a "gin palace".

Last edited:
A vessel as well as a boat:

232323232%7Ffp63556%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A33695336nu0mrj

What? Doesn't a Hollywood movie producer's boat qualify as a yacht, even without sails??

img_174334_0_ddd27dd9542ad5b64ca4cb76b1a1762d.jpg

Definitely not a yacht:

img_174338_0_914b0a8c5d6b6b54c5b66f814ff2941c.jpg

Is having a close relative, like a sister, helping on maintenance, qualify one's boat as a yacht?

Yup, whether slave labor or paid, if you can figure a way to get others to perform even the mundane tasks you're a yachtie!:socool:

A further defining point in this situation is if you have to join in, doing some manner of chore aboard: OR are you able to sit back nearby in a lounge chair under an awning and enjoy the beautiful day with its refreshing breeze while sipping on your favorite libation.

Last edited:
More interesting is when is a boat a yacht? I've heard 42 feet or more. Also heard that any boat "vessel" used for pleasure is a yacht. Is my dinghy then a yacht?

A boat is something you work on. A yacht is something you pay someone to work on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom