New England Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maine, but no way are we able to/want to live aboard during the winter here.

Anyone headed to the trawler fest in the northeast? I might been in RI. this year.

From Boston We live on the boat into mid-January. Then we call it quits and go in front of the fire at the house in CT.

Lived aboard (all year) in NYC area for over 22 years , easy enough to do with a co operating marina.Snow plow parking lot.

Heating plant is the big expense, Dickinson or Reflex first choice , with Hurricane second.

The Espar and other truck/bus transplants require too much maint .

Fred
Just curious how much fuel and what size Reflex heater you use on your boat? Reflex seems to be the first choice of lobsterman and small draggers in New England. They are VERY dependable, apparently.

Almost all people here (SE Alaska) who live aboard in the summer live aboard in the winter. But the people who live aboard (here) don't have any other place to live and now in this small town of 435 the water is shut off for the winter (on the floats in the harbor). I know as I had to get out several hoses to fill my water tanks. They have a hose down to the foot of the ramp only. Thank somebody they had that. And in some winters the boats are as stable as the houses up on the hill because they are hard in the ice. It's strange to step on your boat and not feel any movement at all. Reflex heater*** ...what's that! Here everybody seems to use Toyo and Monitor oil heaters. I think it's going to be a mild winter. Usually w hard winters the stuff hits the fan right about now and there's nothing but rain and fairly mild temps but we have had quite a few 50 knot winds and one 65 knot blow here in the bay but out at Lincoln rock (a few miles out into Clarence Strait) it's been over 100 knots I'm sure. I fear the winters that have 5 to 10 degree temps (that's cold around here) in the first few days of November. Has'nt happened.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 1st of November 2010 09:33:37 PM

I second the vote for Toyo and Monitor. We have a Toyo installed and LOVE it.It only cost $1100 and burns less than 1 gal a day if run 24hours on high which is impossible to do.* It's very quiet and dependable, but only heats the spaces it's in, there is no forced air.* Since installing the Toyo, I only light the Espar to test it..........Arctic Traveller

I chose the Dickinson as it came with a 7 turn copper coil.

Although it normally requires a small circ pump to heat a remote cabin (my boat has water tight subdivision) , by playing with heater hose to "prove " the concept , and then immortalizing it in 3/4 copper tubing , I found thermo-syphon does work.

A gallon of fuel only has about 160,000 BTU so the heating bill will depend on the "Delta T" (difference between outside and desired inside temp) the quality or lack of insulation , and the outside surface area of the heated area.Big un insulated windows are a real bummer.

As the Dickinson is only 16-18000 but it may take a bigger one from reflex , OR simply a range in the galley and a second unit for the sub zero weeks.

The pot burners are not as efficient as the complex electronic units , but if going months with no electric required is of use , an 1/4G of diesel a day is cheap!

Yep, I'm in Boston (yes I know this is an old thread).

Anyone else on here live in New England?

I may be looking for crew this summer to bring my MT43 from Maine to Boston, or even further south.

Or if you just want to come spend a few days cruising in Maine with me and my GF, you are welcome to come along.

I live in Torrington, Ct (NW corner) and boat out of Mystic, Ct.
If you get down my way give me a shout.

This winter we got very (for our area ) cold days, we change our diesel heater to an wood heater (sorry for our English
no.gif
!) it is far less costly.

But in in our cabin it was realy cold ! it is the problem with all aloys parts .

Attachments

• 100_0041.jpg
    100_0041.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 242
We installed the Webasto diesel to heat the forward state rooms which has 75% of the heat as the heat rises to the salon. So if the staterooms are 60+ degrees then the salon is 65+ degrees. If the temp is blow 60 degree than things start to feel and smell musty/cold.

We run the Webasto Diesel when the temps get below 40 degree F, and electric when above 40 degrees. When temps drop below 30 degrees, we burn 20+ gallon/week, 10 to 20 gallons/week when 30 to 40 degrees and 10 gallons/week in the 40 to 50. We use to turn it on October 1, and run it 24/7 until May 1st, but with the cost of diesel more then doubling it’s to costly.:eek:

I second the vote for Toyo and Monitor. We have a Toyo installed and LOVE it.It only cost $1100 and burns less than 1 gal a day if run 24hours on high which is impossible to do.* It's very quiet and dependable, but only heats the spaces it's in, there is no forced air.* Since installing the Toyo, I only light the Espar to test it..........Arctic Traveller

If you don't mind me asking...which Toyo??? as I have been looking myself...

I know this thread is probably six feet under and decomposing.....BUT I keep my boat in Boston.

36 ft willard vega sedan in Gloucester

Full time liveaboard from Halloween 2020 in Gloucester on 36 willard vega,and must say she is a perfect liveaboard for a single young guy like myself,loving life so far

Had a multi zone Wesbasto hydronic on last boat. Best heat ever. But ridiculously expensive to do as a retrofit. Will put a Refleks in next boat. Probably a type 66 MV and heat only by the radiators. Live in New England. Document in R.I. Cruise east coast and eastern Caribbean. If one stateroom and the pilot house is toasty with a bunch of decent fans the boat is quite liveable. Advantage of hydronic is radiators and fans integral so nothing else is needed. Also find a good shrink wrap job if you’re wet stored and just being a liveaboard makes a huge difference. Get big time passive solar. Trick is to put standoffs to protect hull but still bring the shrink wrap as far down as you reasonably can. Save the door(s). That way you save money the following year.

We are in Southern Ct and are full time live aboards year round.
We have the Toyotomi L-60 diesel fireplace and a Newport Dickinson propane fireplace as heat sources. Toyo heater is awesome with the thermostat and digital controls.

This is an 11 year old thread. The question was asked 11 years ago, and many posters haven't been here in over a decade. Let's let this zombie thread die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom