View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Don't waste your money on the paper charts...get a laptop and download EVERY one for free at NOAA...buy a $30 USB GPS and have a second chartplotter for backup.

Take a second tablet/laptop if you can or at least download the charts onto an external drive of some sort. If you lose all power as some would have you believe...you probably don't have a lot of other stuff too....make a list of sea buoys and points to go around with coordinates so all you need is a gps to safely get you there.

If you are in a situation where you can't get a battery to power a small inverter to give you the charts...then as I said you got bigger issues and can get charts at the first layover to get all the electrical stuff fixed that brought you in if you don't like the electronic chart format.

If thinking SPOT over EPIRB or even PLB ...don't....SPOT as a backup but not primary. While it has gotten good reviews there is no official collection of "failures" that I know of like the EPIRB/PLB system. Too many times that constellation of satellites has given different comms systems issues...I wouldn't trust my life to it yet. Less than $300 will get you a decent PLB...the cost of 3 good dinners out is what your life would be equated to.

As far as oil filters go...really need to know if on engine or remoted.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote