View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #12
Money Sponge

City: Anacortes WA
Vessel Name: Money Sponge
Vessel Model: 55' Ocean Alexander Mk 1
Quote:
It will only be of use in a very few marinas , as 120/50a is about 30 years dated.
Wow, really! I wish I would have posted sooner and got all this valuable help before I started this project. If I had this understanding sooner I would have realized the advantage of the 125/250V cords and would have purchased a different cord and inlet. I don't like adapters but I think I will just buy an adapter for when I'm away from home port.

Quote:
The boat will require a minor rewire to bring this two 120 lines aboard , and power 120v.
That's sure correct but now that I'm where I'm at I would have to replace the cord and the inlet at the boat. I'll save that project for another day.

Quote:
However by splitting the system to 2 120v legs the voltage drop should be less , and big load systems would work better.
You are so right, this is exactly what I should have done. Had I not just matched what was available at my home port I would have ended up with a much better system. I could have even changed the gen-set to 240V. I hope this thread will help others that are considering this kind of upgrade to make a better choice than I did.