Landlocked Dreamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssam

Vessel Name
Anne Marie
Vessel Make
TBD
Glad to be aboard TF. I'm in Atlanta and still have several more years before i cast off but serious planning is in the works. My home office is adorned with a 24x24 of both the Great Loop and Upper Caribbean. I read Passagemaker from cover to cover and keep all the past issues in my nightstand. I've had five practice trips to the Abacos of gradually longer duration each time with twin 26' (fly there and rent, no crossings yet!). A friend with an Albin 40' has shown me the trawler light! A couple trips to Trawler Fest Lauderdale confirmed it.
Thank you for all the great dialog. I look forward to learning much more in the coming years and gradually growing my experience. If anyone needs a hand for a week or weekend let me know. Will travel and work for boating lessons and experience!

Glad to be aboard TF. I'm in Atlanta and still have several more years before i cast off but serious planning is in the works. My home office is adorned with a 24x24 of both the Great Loop and Upper Caribbean. I read Passagemaker from cover to cover and keep all the past issues in my nightstand. I've had five practice trips to the Abacos of gradually longer duration each time with twin 26' (fly there and rent, no crossings yet!). A friend with an Albin 40' has shown me the trawler light! A couple trips to Trawler Fest Lauderdale confirmed it.
Thank you for all the great dialog. I look forward to learning much more in the coming years and gradually growing my experience. If anyone needs a hand for a week or weekend let me know. Will travel and work for boating lessons and experience!

Welcome Lou from Atlanta from just up the road in Chattanooga. You are landlocked but not too landlocked. About 4 hours to the coast is not too bad. We live in the Tennessee and N. GA mountains, and boat on the coast. Best of both worlds I say.

The boat is in Ft. Pierce, and we do an Abaco trip most years. Where have you been going there?

Have fun in your preparations and search.

Thank you Moonstruck. Best of both worlds is accurate. We are in N GA mtns as well. Our Abaco base has been Leisure Lee; home on the beach and great canals for the boat in the back. It's between Marsh and Treasure; closer to Treasure. Is Moonstruck marina or canal/home based? I've been wondering about the full amenity club marinas vs a home/condo on a canal. Would love to read more about your GS crossing experiences.

Thank you Moonstruck. Best of both worlds is accurate. We are in N GA mtns as well. Our Abaco base has been Leisure Lee; home on the beach and great canals for the boat in the back. It's between Marsh and Treasure; closer to Treasure. Is Moonstruck marina or canal/home based? I've been wondering about the full amenity club marinas vs a home/condo on a canal. Would love to read more about your GS crossing experiences.

Lou, Moonstruck is at Ft. Pierce City Marina. There are a couple of accounts of Abaco trips on our blog. One crossing from Stuart and one from Ft. Pierce. Just click on the link in the signature. Look for the 2010 and 2012 trips. We love it over there and get around to most of the Cays. We anchor as much as possible.

edit: just click on the "uncategorized" last item at the top. There are several trips in that one.

Last edited:
Lou, we live just 40 miles north of Atlanta and have our boat in Chattanooga. In two hours each Friday we are aboard and boating. Although its the TN River, we do have access to open ocean. You can get the boat of you dreams now and practice on a river until you are ready to head out for adventure. Good luck with your search, its one of the best parts of boating.

Lou, we live just 40 miles north of Atlanta and have our boat in Chattanooga. In two hours each Friday we are aboard and boating. Although its the TN River, we do have access to open ocean. You can get the boat of you dreams now and practice on a river until you are ready to head out for adventure. Good luck with your search, its one of the best parts of boating.

Thank you Soggy. Will look into TN River adventures. I like the idea of always having shore in sight at first!

Welcome we live both in Siesta Key and in Thomasville, Ga and yes Thomasville, GA is Land Locked

Welcome we live both in Siesta Key and in Thomasville, Ga and yes Thomasville, GA is Land Locked

Two great places. Thomasville may be landlocked, but the pond fishing is great and quail hunting the best. Rose-City, indeed.

Welcome aboard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom