Questions about buying my first boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bligh, you're right. Having had a 26' yacht which could sleep 6 easily, I absolutely agree. However, the reason is much more living space, and also because of design differences, no quarter berths. In yachts, most of the space is berths, and bugger all living space, not to mention cramped toilet/shower facilities. However, cunning design can bring dividends, and it was for this reason the cruiser I owned in charter years ago, the Cuddles 35, later re-launched as the Resort 35, was so popular as a charter fleet boat. Envisage if you will a 35 footer, with quite decent saloon/galley area, and roomy cockpit, with rounded stern and built-in seating, transom door and generous swim step, yet able to sleep 10, yes, 10. By having 4 singles stacked 2 up, 2 down in the bow, a separate master double, with en suite no less, large separate shower/toilet, and another double down a small c'way under the raised dinette, which itself could be made into another double if needed. Not bad eh...?
Relaxation Boat Hire - Resort 35'

My gawd... 10 people on a 35' boat? Possibly powerboat designers are smart afterall.

I cant imagine dealing with that many people on a boat.

My gawd... 10 people on a 35' boat? Possibly powerboat designers are smart afterall.

Neither can I.

Attachments

• Plaque.jpg
    Plaque.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 85
Just an observation:

At any gathering of a lot of boats, the smaller the boat, the bigger the number of people on it.

I think we all move to larger boats to get away from the crowding that takes place on our first boats as our families grow, then by the time we can afford a bigger boat the kids stop coming along, so we have space for them, but usually cruise with just the two of us.

Kawini, one more point.....

The perfect boat has room for 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner and sleeps 2!

Agree, but we found we could squeeze in 6 for dinner (five here and room for one more):

img_173527_0_1e73de7b9d96d19c39c762a968f23f00.jpg

Most I've had on-board were a total of nine: six adults (one pregnant) and three children. It was OK, but limited to three hours.

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D394%3B%3C6728%3B336nu0mrj

Most I've had on-board were a total of nine:
We've had as many as 6 for cocktails & dinner but the salon table only seats 3 comfortably. For that reason, we use the table as a buffet and sit in the cockpit which is a lot more comfortable. Remember, you want your guests to be really comfortable or they won't come back.:hide:

Attachments

• IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4394.jpg
    IMG_4394.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 85
Again, everybody thanks for your input. I really appreciate it, and the feedback definitely helps to get me oriented and realistic as to the purchase.

Robster - thanks for your thoughtful advice. What you write confirms something else that I read here, which is that a boat is always in worse shape than you think when you buy it. It appears as though your very careful due diligence helped you to minimize the number and the severity of the surprises you had after your purchase. I will definitely take your advice to heart. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share (either here in the forum or by way of a PM) the lists of good and not-so-good mechanics to avoid in your area. Also, may I ask what model of Cummins you have in your new boat. I'm looking at a boat with twin Cummins, and when I spoke with a broker yesterday about the boat (who is not the listing broker), he expressed a little concern about the Cummins 555s.

Thanks again.

Steve

Sent PM

Our record for the number of guests on board was last year for the Christmas boat parade. We had 22 on board including GW and myself. They were spread between the salon, the cockpit and the flybridge so it didn't seem crowded at all. People were constantly moving from one area to another, in part to enjoy the ride from the different vantage points, but all the food was in the salon so they had to go there to dine.

Kawini: Seeing that Marin PM'd you and with all the other knowledge shared here, it probably already seems overwhelming. By-the-way, I have to admit to doing some eyes-shut maintenance on my own boat, but it's because I got an eye full of whatever fluid I happened to be around at the time.

I'd add that you take another cruise on that 50 ft. steeler you spoke about in the first post, and this time instead of cruising, do maintenance with the owner. It'll go a long way toward understanding the responsibilities and tasks involved in maintaining such a boat. Glad your so excited, and don't worry, your boat is out there. Have fun looking,...it's half the fun of choosing this lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom