View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #83
Captain K

City: Foley, Alabama
Vessel Name: GITANA
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
[QUOTE=kpinnn;173215]Still there is a bigger problem that requires some planning. Both heads have electro-sans sanitation treatment devices. These are not legal in the Keys. My plan is to replace the older Electro-Sans with a holding tank and maybe y valve with dump. This would allow me to lock the y valve in one head and disable the electro-sans when not legal. When legal I can use the holding tank and electro-sans. I would certainly entertain any suggestions regarding size of holding tank as well as mounting position. The head that I would put the holding tank is the forward one in the galley area.

We also have Electro-San on Holly Day with both heads discharging into the single Electro-San treatment unit. Originally from there it was plumbed overboard. The boat has a factory-installed 50 gallon holding tank which was not plumbed when we bought her. Downstream of the Electro-San I installed a lockable "Y" valve. Now we can send our blackwater from the Electro-San either overboard, as before, or into the holding tank. This of course means you have purified waste going into your holding tank, which precludes that usual "stench" one encounters with them. From the holding tank we can empty waste via a deck pumpout. Once you get that holding tank installed, you may want to consider this arrangement. It allows maximum flexibility with minimal cost, and it's entirely legal anywhere no-discharge rules are in force. By the way, as an alternative to marinas (which are quite pricy in Key West) I suggest you consider the Key West City Mooring Field just east of Fleming Key and north of Garrison Bight. If you take one monthly you'll save a lot of money over the weekly or daily rate. The included facilities ashore (laundry, showers, water-fill, secure dinghy dockage and car parking) are first rate. Good luck!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote