Old 08-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
You have to plot it all the way back to Old Point Comfort. It is a hell of a ways from Thimble Shoals to the ICW. There is no real bailout south of Ocean City, MD. You do not want to go in the Chincoteague inlet especially if things are getting crappy outside. I compare every time and the plotted route to Deltaville is 20 miles or so (memory) longer inside.
I agree that the offshore run isn't easy..but I rather run 36 hrs overnight/straight and be in Norfolk (when running late in the season...because often the weather windows are barely that long in December and late November) The Delaware is tough to plan unless running before/after dark. Running south the lower Chessie can kick your butt no matter which way the winds blow that time of year.

Thimble Shoal is the approach to Hampton Roads into Norfolk/ICW either way you take..it's less than 4 miles between Thimble Shoal and Old Pt Comfort....that's why I chose it to show the difference in distances fairly. I am talking Cape May to Norfolk...Deltaville is up in the bay so yes if you run offshore then back up INTO the Bay it's a closer call... I'm talking running south to the ICW beginning at mile 000 abeam downtown Norfolk..
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote