unfortunately, never believe your broker.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbum29

Guru
I can't believe this but the mechanic I hired to work on my boat ripped me off.

JEM Marine in Stuart, Fl.

Be Ware.

Funny.... the boat brokers and marine mechanics I know say the same about realtors....:D

Last edited:
Details may help.....

Are you certain he ripped you off? Could there be an error, or a misunderstanding? It just seems strange that your broker would recommend someone who would rip you off, is all that I am saying. If he had not been personally recommended, then of course that is a different story. Cavaet emptor.

Didn't replace blower motors, put high water bilge alarm 3 ft from bottom, wires running across battery terminals not in looms, vacuflush pump improperly rebuilt claimed it was a seal in the head, supposed to clean, remove rust on engines and repaint - just painted over the rust..

Still checking the rest of his work.

I know that this is my fault, that's why I'm so livid.

And I forgot the fuel gauge on the starboard tank, the tank filters at the fuel manifold.

Not sure if he changed the oil cold or didn't change the filter because after a few hours the oil became extremely dirty.

Never sent me the oil analysis results from the v drives, if it was ever done at all.

Last edited:
Didn't replace blower motors, put high water bilge alarm 3 ft from bottom, wires running across battery terminals not in looms, vacuflush pump improperly rebuilt claimed it was a seal in the head, supposed to clean, remove rust on engines and repaint - just painted over the rust..

Still checking the rest of his work.

I know that this is my fault, that's why I'm so livid.

And I forgot the fuel gauge on the starboard tank, the tank filters at the fuel manifold.

Not sure if he changed the oil cold or didn't change the filter because after a few hours the oil became extremely dirty.

Never sent me the oil analysis results from the v drives, if it was ever done at all.

For what it's worth, diesel engines will turn brand new oil to blacker then night in about 10 min. I have several diesel engines under my care and they all do this, not to worry it's normal for the oil to be black, all of them do it.

I rember my first oil change on a Cummins 5.9 I checked the level of the oil aboout 30 min after a full drain hot (truck engine) and filter change and it was as black as it was before I changed it.

For what it's worth, diesel engines will turn brand new oil to blacker then night in about 10 min. I have several diesel engines under my care and they all do this, not to worry it's normal for the oil to be black, all of them do it.

I rember my first oil change on a Cummins 5.9 I checked the level of the oil aboout 30 min after a full drain hot (truck engine) and filter change and it was as black as it was before I changed it.

I have gas engines.

I think he has 7.4 Mercruisers in her.

Bum: I'm still here in Stuart and still hiring jobbers for various projects. I'll steer clear of JEM till I hear your final evaluation. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, I stand corrected. The oil should of course not be black and should look.... close to new.

My bad

I should really change the title of this thread to; ' I'm a dumba** '.

How about "We're dumbies". I got the shaft here in Stuart too, literally and figuratively. If you do really determine that all is as it seems to be, I hope you give a chance to both the broker and the company to explain/make it right.

Last edited:
How about "We're dumbies". I got the shaft here in Stuart too, literally and figuratively. If you do really determine that all is as it seems to be, I hope you give a chance to both the broker and the company to explain/make it right.

He hasn't offered to correct anything and the broker hasn't returned calls or texts.

I can't believe this but the mechanic I hired to work on my boat ripped me off.

JEM Marine in Stuart, Fl.

Be Ware.

and it probable will not be the last. I find private yards, that don't allow others and/or you to work on the boat are the biggest. As they figure once they go you on the hard that got you. :nonono:

I'm not taking this lying down. He was noticed today via email and tomorrow it goes out certified mail.

I'm not taking this lying down. He was noticed today via email and tomorrow it goes out certified mail.
I may not be the brightest bulb in the harbor but I can't figure out what you said in the above post.

Please explain in more than one or two sentences so an old f*rt like me can figure it out.

Be nice if the recommending broker got involved and helped get things sorted out, but a recommendation isn`t a guarantee of the mechanic`s work, the mechanic is responsible if things are wrong.
It`s not easy finding good marine service people, even good ones can go bad. Sales people good at detail follow up are rare in my experience.

Be nice if the recommending broker got involved and helped get things sorted out, but a recommendation isn`t a guarantee of the mechanic`s work, the mechanic is responsible if things are wrong.
It`s not easy finding good marine service people, even good ones can go bad. Sales people good at detail follow up are rare in my experience.

He was sent a copy of the notice. We'll see what happens.

Hopefully you paid via credit card? You could always reverse the charges and put it back on him if his work wasn't up to "standard" in your area you might have something to go on. In the mean time you have jobs that you want completed correctly. I would of course question whether he was capable of finishing the jobs correctly to begin with. With as much as you have mentioned I'm not sure if I would have him aboard again.
Maybe well document the situation, pictures, video and have a new tech write down his findings prior to beginning any work. It really does hurt when you have to take your time and efforts to correct what should have been done correctly the first time. If he stands behind his work he should offer to complete the jobs as hired and compensate you for having to have him back. (But that rarely happens)

Good luck with your situation.

Did the guy you hired do the work or did he farm the job out to someone else?

Point being this fellow came recommended. by someone you trusted.

Seen this kind of stuff happen before. You get good at what you do and everyone wants your services till you can't take anymore. So it gets farmed out.
Just thinking out loud.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom