Plan2Nav for Android

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Has anyone had any luck downloading charts for Plan2Nav for Android? I keep getting a message "Payment Failed". Tech support suggests that my bank maybe refusing foreign charges. Tried another CC, same result. We've travelled in Europe and never had a CC refused.

It's being promoted by Active Captain but my experience so far has been very disappointing. It doesn't do much of anything if you can't buy the charts.

Bob

Make sure that your account info is populated with your name (as shown on your credit card), address, email, etc or it won't approve your credit card purchase. P2N rather stupidly links its credit card purchase data to your account data.

And FWIW I gave up on this POS. Numerous crashes and EVERY TIME I have to close the ap in the Android settings and reopen to get Active Captain icons to show up. Jeff Siegel is aware of this poor behavior.

Customer service while friendly and prompt, hasn't a clue how to fix it.

This ap just isn't ready for prime time!!

David

Response I've gotten from Tech Support is that my bank won't accept charges from a European bank. They told me to call my bank and tell them to accept charges from their bank. What kind of a way is that to do business?

I also don't like the idea of leaving my CC info in the account, that should be an option. I would much rather enter the CC data every time I make a purchase.

Bob

I was just commenting to my wife that this is the best $30 I've spent in a while. It's a great tool for trip planning without sitting in front of your computer. Once I downloaded the maps and ActiveCaptain I couldn't get the detail information. Being a computer guy I finally rebooted and that did the trick. Now I have all the data available. I wish PolarView on my laptop would download more that a 60 mile radius of information. I also wish P2N would start at my last coordinates instead of the west coast of Africa until I turn on the GPS.

Re leaving a CC on file... anyone using a CC on the Internet really should investigate the single-use credit cards like the ShopSafe service from Bank of America. It's one of the few reasons we still bank with them. I just log onto my BofA account and create a "new" credit card number and security code with a value just over what I'm spending and generally to expire in 2 months. The charges appear on my regular card but nobody has that number. We use it for things like free offers from Netflix and Sirius. They insist on a CC for the "free" offer so they can charge if you forget to cancel at the end of the free period. Good luck charging a card with a $5 maximum value that expired last month!

Dave

Did you do the Android version? I downloaded the App and then tried for three days to download a map. Kept getting "Payment Failed". Tech support wanted me to call my bank to tell them to accept charges from a European Bank. I finally gave up and uninstalled the app. Check our bank account and found two charges for $1.33 from Jeppensen Italia. So apparently they pinged my account to see if worked but that's a far as it went.

Have you looked at Navionics Apps? I think you can get the US, Bahamas and I think Canada for around $55 for the tablet. The smart phone apps are cheaper. I used the smart phone app on my tablet and plotted a route with about twenty waypoints and it gave the total distance, and if you enter your speed and fuel consumption, it also gives total time and fuel used.
I'll look into that ShopSafe service.

Bob

Yes the Android version on a Galaxy Tab 10.2. I think getting past the credit card issue will solve a lot of issues.

Dave

I just loaded it on my toshiba thrive. when I try to navigate to a point, it gives me the other side of the world. yes it took me some time to get the cc accepted. I looked for navinocis but couldn't fine one for android, did I miss something?

Yes P2N always starts off the west coast of Africa. Turn on the gps by tapping the arrow on the bottom of the screen twice and it will find you quickly.

Dave

I learned about the Navionics app from a friend that was using it. It looked very good.
When I tried downloading the Canadian charts, it gave me the Caribbean charts, with no option to abort and get a refund. I emailed Navionics, who said it was Google. I emailed Google who said tough bananas, you had your 15 minutes to get your refund and didn't ask in time.
I tried the download again and the Canadian option wasn't there any more. Maybe too many problems getting the wrong charts.
Not impressed!

In the GooglePlayStore search fro Navionics and they have quite a selection. I downloaded the $14.99 version for smartphones but it runs just fine on a tablet. Some of the text screens don't rotate to the horizontal mode but the charts do.

I got interested in P2N because we have a Raymarine chartplotter which uses Navionics charts so I thought a backup with a different set of charts would be nice. But since I couldn't buy any charts the program was pretty much useless.

I think they are unable to verify CCs on the fly so they have you enter the CC info and then they ping the account with a small charge. Until that goes through you can't buy any charts. But the message you get is "Payment Failed" rather than tell you upfront what is going on. They could even send you an email once the account has been verified. I have two $1.33 charges from Jeppensen Italia on my account which I guess are their test charges.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom