Show us your ER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with you Aus Can. Love everything about my boat except the engine room dimensions. 2 teenage boys come in handy though, they love learning boat maintenance and crawling the bilge is well within their agility level. Told the wife last weekend we will just have to buy a boat with a full stand up ER when our youngest moves on.

My engine room, or hole as I call it, is pretty clean and accessible but if I drop something into the narrow, deep bilge below I'm like AusCan but without the Orangutan. I may never see it again.

Attachments

• 82716a4_20.jpeg
    82716a4_20.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 166
Walt is that an espresso machine with the cup under it?:confused:
No, it's a soft ice cream machine. I put the Algae X label on it as a gag. It makes 123 gallons an hour and since I only hold a total of 200 gallons, I usually sell the over flow when in an anchorage. Thanks for pointing that out, Don. I had almost completely forgot about it.:mad:

Mine isn't stand-up either, but there are three hatches running the width of the pilothouse.* The port hatch provides access to the converter, master electrical switches,*engine and transmission dip sticks (wish those were on the other side), and house batteries.* The middle hatch is directly over the engine.* The starboard hatch accesses*engine battery, water heater, cooling water inlet, compressor and tank for air horns, water pump, and fuel routing valves.* The battery cases provide handy seats.

Seahorse did a professional job installing all that stuff.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 13th of October 2011 04:46:56 PM

Mark, if you are going to post pics of that immaculate engine room, at the very least you can Photoshop a meal and some utensils on the floor since it is clean enough to eat off of. :)

OK, this is an old thread but here's my engine room

The hatch is in the middle of the salon, and there's also an entrance (not pictured) by lifting up the stairs. That entrance goes to the utility room that houses the water heater, fuel filters, valves, etc... The utility room has a waterproof bulkhead with a sealed door to the engine room.

I use the salon hatch as its easy to drop down into between the engines. I wish it were taller, as its only on the knees height.

engineroom1.JPG

engineroom2.JPG

engineroom3.JPG

engineroom4.JPG

engineroom-hatch.JPG

image-1935863421.jpg

Entries from the second stateroom and lazarette. Not stand-up but plenty of room to work.

Not an orang just a "great Dane" for scale purposes.

Sent from my iPhone

Attachments

• image-3702676249.jpg
    image-3702676249.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 172
Well this is not my own engine room but it is the engine room of one of my latest listings. MTU 16 V 396, each cylinder is 3.96 cubic liters, 3000 Hp and yes there are two of them.

Attachments

• Silent Wings engine room.jpg
    Silent Wings engine room.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 169
Gee, why does that look familiar? ;)

Here's the big brother to Tucker's new CA.

A pair of 16V538s:

Attachments

• CORONA.jpg
    CORONA.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 151
Hey, I thought this was "Show us your ER."

RickB, show us your ER, not someone else's ER.

I have the worst engine room imaginable. It is, without a doubt, the absolute worst thing about my boat. :nonono: It has only overhead access. Any dropped tools and parts go down to a bilge that can only be accessed by a trained orangutan with 5ft arms.
Having helped a friend remove and refit the engine in a Resort 35, a Cuddles derivative, I confirm it is largely top access,though it`s good access with the engine out. The rather large mechanic, paid by an insurer to do the work, kept disappearing to other jobs leaving work instructions.
IGs use a trained octopus to adjust stern glands. AndyG and I share one, retrieve the octopus before starting the engine.

Having helped a friend remove and refit the engine in a Resort 35, a Cuddles derivative, I confirm it is largely top access,though it`s good access with the engine out. The rather large mechanic, paid by an insurer to do the work, kept disappearing to other jobs leaving work instructions.
IGs use a trained octopus to adjust stern glands. AndyG and I share one, retrieve the octopus before starting the engine.

Bruce - If that octopus wants some more work, my prop shaft gland needs a nip up.

Actually, the access to my stern gland and rudder linkage, etc is great, as long as I don't put on a kilo.

With all my air expelled and a jar of vaseline, I can just squeeze through the built in cockpit seat opening, down to the huge void below. Once I'm down there, it's like a secret hidden room.
It allows me to sit fully upright, astern of to the rudder shaft. Luxury! (although anything dropped still slides down into the black hole)

RickB, show us your ER, not someone else's ER.

Tucker posted it already - without complaint I might add - that was mine once.

I have quite a few others in my "stable" ... what kind do you want?

I love the shots of those big yacht engines personally. Recall both of those shots as your avatar previously. If your taking requests Rick, do ya have any ER shots of an old fire boat or harbor tug? From back when the "oiler" was a busy man down below.

Let's see your trawler ER.

Ditto! A chance to see what a pro's ER looks like!

It looks as bad as most of the others ... This was taken while fitting new foundations for engine mounts. I don't make money by spending it on my own engine room.

The other one is slightly less power but much better access and goes much faster.

Attachments

• ENG WORK2.jpg
    ENG WORK2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 128
  • ENG RM3.jpg
    ENG RM3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 136
This is the first time I have seen this thread.
I was having a good day. Now I am so jealous.

I have the worst engine room imaginable. It is, without a doubt, the absolute worst thing about my boat. :nonono: It has only overhead access. Any dropped tools and parts go down to a bilge that can only be accessed by a trained orangutan with 5ft arms.
I have to disassemble the settee to access the alternator.
I do most of my engine work by feel due to no possible line of sight. Lots of fun when the engine is hot and I'm rolling it a rough beam sea, about to add my lunch to the contents of the bilge.
All the blood rushes to my head when I do engine work. Any contents of the shirt pockets get emptied into the bilge when checking the oil (including my Galaxy S3 two days after I bought it).
The engine and bilge need painting but the orangutan won't cooperate.

I'd post a photo but I'm embarrassed. I'd also need a camera mounted on a remote control arm to get a side shot.

You know why I really have sails? I need them when I drop my last impellor into the bilge and I've run out of bananas.

OK AusCan my definitely not pristine ER should add a bit of balance. For such a small boat I have fairly good access. The original boat did not however. That after engine compartment hatch was a mod done by a previous owner. Cut the floor beam to pull it off. Don't think I'd have the whatever to do that.
Notice my high SS exhaust riser and the engine heat exchanger on the aft bulkhead. See also my steel exhaust manifold. They have a very good track record and I don't like aluminum there.
You can see my fuel and lube oil filters to the left of the exhaust riser and my Murphy Switch to the right of the exhaust manifold. When the coolant gets a bit low it sounds a buzzer. Saved our bacon once.

Attachments

• STH71434 copy 2.jpg
    STH71434 copy 2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
It looks as bad as most of the others ... This was taken while fitting new foundations for engine mounts. I don't make money by spending it on my own engine room.

The other one is slightly less power but much better access and goes much faster.

Neither of those are pictures of engine rooms, but you got the engine part right. Goodonya! :D

Yesterday I was adding water to my batteries when I noticed a rust stain under my starboard engine exhaust hose. Closer inspection revealed the hose had to be replaced. The ER has plenty of room for working on Sven and Olaf, the two Swedes (Volvos.)

Attachments

• Engine Room 001.jpg
    Engine Room 001.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 127
  • Engine Room 002.jpg
    Engine Room 002.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Engine Room 003.jpg
    Engine Room 003.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 134
A stand up engine room is one of my favorite parts of a Nordhavn Trawler. Easy access to the entire engine makes working on the Lugger Main a breeze. The art work came with the boat (signed Vargas prints) :D

46f596a5084d2d5e76eb319fa7a756e1.jpg

25608d8ed033d58ebab42ec1d7af1201.jpg

The art work came with the boat (signed Vargas prints) :D
Aren't you flirting with "danger" being in the ER with those prints? :lol: :blush:

At least the Admiral knows where to find me! :eek:

Wow..
The N57 I spend time on has a amazing ER... but the signed Vargas prints take it to a entirely new level..

My suggestion is not to refer to that ER as some do as " the Holy place"

HOLLYWOOD

Back
Top Bottom